1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Terrapin Wake n Bake vs. Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by timahood32, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

both very solid beers but not in the same league IMHO. WnB seems more like a lighter coffee porter compared to the FBS.

2. Hmm, this thread is bigger than I expected it to be. WnB is superior, IMO, but Victory at Sea blows both of them out of the water. No pun phrase intended.

Lochnessmonster likes this.
  3. While W-n-B is a good brew, there was too much of a roasted/burned taste to it for me to rank it higher than FBS. FBS is almost heaven on earth.

beerdedking likes this.
  4. I dig the coffee flavor in many coffee stouts, but I think that's because I am highly addicted to black, rich coffee. Makes me a big fan of FBS.

5. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

DId a blind side by side on draft yesterday. FBS had a better aroma and appearance to me. More chocolate and coffee.

I was shocked that I could find ZERO discernible difference between the two when it comes to mouthfeel and taste. I mean identical to me. Need to give the bottles a shot and see if that changes.

6. ERRL710

ERRL710 Savant (280) Illinois May 6, 2013

WnB takes it...and I did a blind test about 4 different times. HUGE fan of that black roasted coffee flavor.

TonyJ815 and creepinjeeper like this.
  7. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (160) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

Love both, WnB seems to have a thinner body, feels more like a porter than a stout.

8. Wake n Bake edges FBS out just slightly.

ERRL710 likes this.
  9. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Savant (455) Florida Apr 3, 2013

Two different brews. Both fantastic in their own rights. WNB has a darker, more bitter, black coffee taste to it and FBS has a smoother, more chocolate-y richness to it. Not really about which is "better" but more or less about what the consumer prefers in a coffee-esque beverage. I love both because they both have different qualities to offer and I'm able to find both in town for only $9.99 a four pack.

Monstro, kirkfrailey and ERRL710 like this.
  10. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Cafe Americana wins. :)

11. MPorts25

MPorts25 Aficionado (195) Michigan May 24, 2011

Breakfast Stout is one of the best beers going. I just got a WnB and Cinammon Roll'd WnB in a trade and I'm expecting them to be great, but they are going to have to be REAL great to best Breakfast Stout.

therealcassino likes this.
  12. mj81

mj81 Advocate (555) New Jersey Sep 11, 2013

Fbs has better balance. I had to cut wnb with some moohoo to balance the coffee.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  13. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

Accidentally cracked and drank one of my bottles yesterday of WnB. Will crack the other WnB with FBS next time.

I'll be back in results soon.

14. TonyJ815

I bet that was delicious.

15. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

I'd give up access to FBS for a couple years for a few more bottles of cinnamon rolled.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  16. TonyJ815

Was it that good? I wasn't able to make it downtown before the hoards demolished the limited supply we got.

17. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Both.

FBS wins mouthfeel. There's just something about that beer that makes me think "damn" every single time I have a bottle.

WnB, though...the taste. Holy mother of god. Every time I've had it (which, sadly, is fewer than ten times), I take that first sip and am absolutely floored by the flavor. This beer alone is the reason I regret moving out of PA and into a Terrapin-less state.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  18. That CR WnB is too awesome.

beerindaglass likes this.
  19. Eric15

Eric15 Savant (400) Alabama Dec 7, 2013

Last year I liked FBS better. This year, WNB kills it for me. Closet thing to coffee+beer Ive tasted that wasnt limited like Cafe Americana. Would love to compare it to Espresso IRS but sadly dont have any.

TonyJ815 likes this.
  20. Halluxone

Halluxone Savant (260) Georgia Dec 7, 2012

I'd be hard pressed to call one "better" than the other....although I'm intrigued by the thought of mixing Moohoo and Wake n Bake. Wake n Moo? I'm still in awe of FIS, Victory at Sea and Cocoa Puffs. Yes, the cereal.

21. WnB couldn't wipe the butt of fbs (imo)

22. Terrapin Wake n Bake, but maybe that is because they don't distribute in NY and I can taste the rare.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Your comment about cocoa puffs got me thinking that they need to make a coffee flavored cereal.

24. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I really like them both but Wake 'n Bake is better IMO. I would choose it every time over FBS.

25. KirkC

KirkC Zealot (75) Texas Jan 1, 2014

Hmm - I'm having a difficult time imagining something better than FBS (because really it's out of this world good). Note to self - must track down Wake n' Bake and try it!

26. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

BBB is perhaps the most undervalued beer I have ever tasted. If Epic made 1/10th the amount, waxed the bottles, and sold it brewery-only on a one-day ticketed event, it would would dominate the ISO forums.

GetTheYayo and ripps1 like this.
  27. mj81

mj81 Advocate (555) New Jersey Sep 11, 2013

It was pretty glorious. My personal taste goes to fbs but understand why others would like wnb better.

28. Honestly thought Cinnamon Roll'd was Terrapin's best beer. Ever.

29. I've had Terrapin WNB in bottle and on tap, found it to be good but not great. Founders Breakfast Stout wipes the floor with it.

SpAiReArGsEonNE likes this.
  30. I recently did a side by side. I liked the WnB better, although the Founders had more of a coffee flavor. Both are tasty, just a matter of preference.

31. jdaddy

jdaddy Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 19, 2010

I really like both of them equally. Neither is hard to find, however FBS is easier to find. FBS is about 15% less per case, thus about 15% better than WNB imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.