1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Texan Visiting Minneapolis

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Elprico, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Elprico

Elprico Savant (255) Texas Aug 14, 2013

Howdy,

I'll be visiting Minneapolis next week from Texas and I was hoping to get a good idea of bars/bottle shops that would be worth visiting. I'll be staying around the Brooklyn Park area and am hoping to hit up Surly while there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, what's the chance I could get some Darkness? I'd be willing to bring some Jester King or other Texas/New Mexico goodness like Elevated if anyone is interested in an IP trade.

2. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Bring some Jester King fruit beers and I'll have Darkness for you!

In the area: Princetons in Maple Grove. BC Liquor isn't bad either.

3. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I would definitely hit Surly and depending on how much time you have and your transportation I'd hit up Indeed, Dangerous Man, maybe Fulton, and Lift Bridge. Haskell's downtown, Zipps and Four Firkins are nice bottle shops and if you have the time head over to Hudson and stop at Casanova's for Toppling Goliath and New Glarus beers. Others may have better recommendations but hopefully this is a good start. Darkness may be on tap, otherwise hit me up if you want to do an IP trade.

4. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Elprico likes this.
  5. nograz

nograz Aficionado (210) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

If you are looking for close to Brooklyn Park, Princeton's Liquors in Maple Grove is a good bottle shop and you would have 3 Squares also in Maple Grove that usually has a good tap list. If you are willing to head into Minneapolis, North East Mpls has Indeed, 612 and Dangerous Man that are all worth a try. Fulton isn't too far either, it is in Minneapolis near Target Field. There is also Steal Toe that would be en route between Brooklyn Park and Minneapolis. If you go to Steal Toe, Four Firkins is close and a great bottle shop. If you are willing to travel further, going to Casanova in Hudson, WI would be worth it, they carry New Glarus, Toppling Goliath and plenty of beer you can't get in Minnesota.

Darkness may actually not be impossible to find in a store, I believe someone in one of the other threads said a store they saw it, but I can't remember which store. I am also sure someone around here would have a bottle, especially with the second release, it was pretty easy to stock up, I know I did.

Remember that currently in Minnesota you cannot buy beer in stores/brewery tap rooms on Sunday. Also, most tap rooms are only open Wednesday/Thursday through Saturday and starting at 3/5 on week days and noon on Saturday.

Elprico likes this.
  6. Elprico

Elprico Savant (255) Texas Aug 14, 2013

I have pretty much all of 3/19 to hit up breweries/stores, so I will definitely be taking these recommendations into account. Transportation isn't a problem since I'll have a car and have to go as far as Duluth.

I've already got an IP trade set up for Darkness. Is there anything else I can bring from my distro just for the sake of being a good BAer? I wish I could bring some JK fruit sours, but this trip is happening on short notice. Just let me know. I'll be around til 3/21.

7. If you want somebody to take you around town I have done it for others, Ironicically a Texan. You need to have a car cause I just got a DWI. But I can take you around town and will help you find the good shops.

8. nograz

nograz Aficionado (210) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

If you are going to be in Duluth, check out Fitger and Bent Paddle. Also on the way to or back you should be going through Lino Lakes and stopping at Hammer Heart would be worth it.

Elprico and nogophers like this.
  9. Bring Salado Kriek from Freetail. That beer was awesome!

10. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Bring some Prarie beers and jk sours.