1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Texas available gluten free craft beers.

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by hash_tagger, Mar 31, 2013.

1. hash_tagger

hash_tagger Aficionado (185) Texas Jan 18, 2013

I have a buddy in Dallas who is looking for a Texas available gluten free craft beer. I'm looking for suggestions if anyone has any. I'm in Austin but can reach Houston if need be but any in the DFW area would be prime since that is where he lives. Thank you!
  2. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (340) Texas May 17, 2012

Omission is pretty readily available. I know I've seen it in DFW. I've never had it but I know one (very health conscious) craft beer drinker that enjoys it.
  3. hash_tagger

Thank you. I had DFH Tweason'ale and didn't realize it was a gluten free beer. I sent him the 2 suggestions so hopefully he'll find something in there to enjoy.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I don't drink this stuff... but out with a friend once his girlfriend let me try Green's Gluten Free Amber and it was actually decent. I know they carry their beers in a lot of places in Austin and I've seen it at Spec's. They also make some Belgian styles from the looks of it.

[​IMG]
    Heard really good things about Omission. I read they're coming out with an IPA soon.
  5. Show

Show Aficionado (225) Texas Jul 21, 2011

don't bother with that Green's stuff. All their stuff is AWFUL!!!

go with Omission or cider
  6. Are you looking for a sixer or something to take home or a bar/pub where you can get it? At the local Flying Saucer here in the Dallas area, they serve a few gluten/wheat free beers. Not sure about the one in Austin though.
  7. hash_tagger

Thanks! I'll let him know about this.
  8. Here is a short list of all available gf beers in Texas...
    Greens (3 styles)
    Brunehaut (2styles) technically gluten reduced
    Omission (2 styles) technically gluten reduced
    Dogfish tweson(sorry for spelling)
    Bards
    Red bridge
    All ciders (too many to mention)
    I think that is all for now... We are waiting on label approval for new planet out of boulder,co which should be here soon
    hash_tagger likes this.
  9. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Omission has less than 20ppm of gluten, which will be the FDA standard for gluten-free.
  10. how abt st Peters Sorgham ? thats Gluten Free -
  11. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Texas-AVAILABLE. Sorry I misunderstood your question on Twitter. I thought you meant Texas-made.

Yeah, I'd go with Omission or Daura {Estrella} both gluten removed so not entirely gluten free but should be fine for 99% of folks. Out of the sorgum based stuff Green's seems to be the most palatable.

Omisssion has been out of stock due to a bottleing line issue as of late.
    hash_tagger likes this.
  12. hash_tagger

Thank you good Sir! You available to grab a few beers on ohhh say the 8th perhaps?