1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Texas Brews

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BeastLU, Mar 2, 2013.

1. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I've got some family moving back from Texas to Virginia within e next couple weeks. My brother in law told me he would bring me back some beers I couldn't get there if I told him what to pick up. What are some quality options around the Houston area available now/soon?

Thanks

2. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Locals that you can get right now:

Karback: Weisse Versa Wheat, Hopadillo IPA, Barn Burner Saison (just released in cans on Friday), and there are still bottles of Pontificator Smoked Dopplebock around.
    Saint Arnold lineup is pretty standard right now. Bishops Barrel 2 was just released, though gone. 3 and DR 13 are coming out, but don't know exact dates. Fresh Ellissa is a decent IPA. Endeavour is a bad as DIPA.
    Southern Star: Buried Hatchet, Pine Belt Pale, and Bombshell Blond. They are releasing a DIPA, and BBA Buried Hatchet soon, but again I don't know the expected release dates.
    Jester King: Lots of bottles sitting around right now. Funk Metal, Black Metal, Das Uberkind, RU55, Mad Meg, etc.
    Real Ale: Full Moon Pale Rye Ale, Rio Blanco, any of their Brewers Cut releases, Devils Backbone, Sisyphus Barleywine
    If you can get growlers, anything 512 or Live Oak, specifically 512 Pecan Porter, and LO Hefe.

My favorites being anything from Karback, Real Ale, 512, and Live Oak. Jester King is what everyone here goes crazy for. Southern Star has a surprising distribution, but I don't think they make it to Virginia.

For bottles check out Specs or D&Q, both should have everything listed above. For growlers check out Premium Draught, and Growler's Beer and Wine to Go.

3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Endeavour isn't a bad DIPA. It's very much like something Lagunitas would make. Freshness is a concern of course.

4. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (610) Texas Jun 6, 2010

I'm falling in love with Karbach's Hopadillo ... and Karbach's Sympathy for the Lager is suprisingly flavorful.

wagenvolks likes this.
  5. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

I'm assuming he meant "Endeavour is a bad-asS DIPA"

StArnoldFan and champ103 like this.
  6. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Plus, it's really fresh right now. Get get get!

7. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Thanks guys, my wife is flying down there to help them pack up next week. Going to try to get her to bring back some of these suggestions (It doesnt help that she thinks TSA will lock her up in a terrorist prison if he puts beer in her luggage).

8. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Jester King has some decent year round brews.... Black Metal

9. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (475) Texas Dec 25, 2010

OG Black Metal is better than the farmhouse version, and if you can get it find the Rodeo Clown from Karbach.

mrkmrk likes this.