1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Texas Whales

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jbeezification, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

So we all know the whales BCBVS, KBS, King Henry, Kate the Great to name a few but I'm curious what would be a Texas whale? Is Whiskey Rodeo a whale? Beer Geek? Pumpkinator? Lets make a list.

2. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

You probably have the same amt of true "wales" there as we do in TN.

Wingfan13 likes this.
  3. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Advocate (545) Texas Jul 31, 2009

this

ABisonEgo and BeerHunter76 like this.
  4. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (415) Texas Dec 15, 2010

LOL! Only wales available in TX are the ones shipped here(traded for) from other states. And the only way we'll probably EVER see a TX brewery produce a whale... is if one of the current "big boy" breweries moves here.

5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Let's not.

air likes this.
  6. TXhomebrewer

TXhomebrewer Savant (310) Texas Dec 4, 2010

This thread made me lol.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  7. ft: whiskey rodeo, beer geek, pumpkinator iso: dirty horse, dave, m

lol nope

Exiled, BobCobb and ABisonEgo like this.
  8. BA Pecan Porter might be classed among the Odontoceti.

Not sure what it would trade for, however.

9. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

NXNW Barton Kriek. Has only been released twice in the last 6 years and the first release was 36 (12oz) bottles the other release was a couple days ago 28 (22oz) bottles [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

the beers I would put as good trade bait but not whales in texas are whiskey rodeo, whiskey pecan porter, ananke, and raspberry ananke, freetail ATE, wild bear,
    just because all were under a 1000 btl release ( with the exception of the last pecan porter release)

11. FUNKPhD

Also going to add, BCBVS, KBS, and King Henry shouldn't be considered wales, but if we're going to play this game of dragging beers onto the hype train, I feel that WBDPP won't be considered a wale because the last two releases have had bottling issues, leading many people to over look it. The only one I could see being anywhere considered would be something like a 2010 Ananke.

Mentioning Whiskey Rodeo, Beer Geek Rodeo, and Pumpkinator as potential wales is really, really silly to me, but what do I know, wale watching is silly to me...

12. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

There is no Texas whale, at least not in the current state of beer trading.
    A few years ago I sent a 2 Freetail beers and a WBDPP for an Isabelle Proximus and JP Perseguidor though.

13. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Traded one straight up for a 50/50 Eclipse 12 yr EC last year and a couple in a big trade for some Russian River and Firestone Walker stuff. Wouldn't classify any of the beers involved as "whales" though. Don't think we've seen anything in Texas that would classify as a whale...yet

14. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Bodacious.

15. FUNKPhD

You're insane.

16. Daemose

Haha. You haven't learned that yet?

FUNKPhD likes this.
  17. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (195) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

...holy shit. ISO: Mike's trading partners :)

18. xpimptastikx

To be fair, it was at the beginning of the "gotta tick em all" small brewery release phase of beer trading. It was the first release of WBDPP, which was around 25 bottles, and no one knew that all the BA offerings from Freetail were infected (BA Old Batrastard). I felt bad when everyone found out a few months later, but I traded them to Mikesgroove.... So I don't really care anymore.

19. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Texas is not elitist enough to have whalez.

Daemose likes this.
  20. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

What would it take for a "whale" to be brewed in Texas? Current breweries only, please.

21. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

22. xpimptastikx

Barrels. Whether it's a wild, saison, BA stout, or BA barleywine. Most of the breweries that are doing these types of beers in Texas are still young and need some time to really fine tune their base beers and barrel program.

23. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hill Farmstead seems to be the only brewery pumping out new whalz these days. Mostly due to hype/rarity/quality. Some great TX breweries have enough rarity and quality but not nearly enough hype among the whole of BA for it to become a true whale.

24. xpimptastikx

Take that list with a grain of salt. I've had a plenty of trades that wouldn't make sense if you viewed that list as a guide to rarity.

25. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

90% of whale status is hype. Frankly, Texas breweries don't generate much hype. For example, KBS is a great beer, but there are dozens of BA stouts that are of the same or better quality. The difference is the hype. Whale is also a subjective term so it's different for everyone. If people pump it up on BA and it's not widely available, suddenly it's unparalleled.

26. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Lame thread is lame.

27. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

And you managed to get three?!?

28. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Holy shit NXNW bottles their beer?!!

29. Daemose

Boxer's revenge.

30. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Whales suck. It becomes more about the value/rarity of the beer, rather than the beer itself.

BK1017, SatlyMalty, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  31. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Very rarely. They're supposed to bottle another beer shortly.

32. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

And the beers hardly ever live up to the hype. Rather it be a whale or a beer you really wanted to try but have waited.

33. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Screw you guys, I'm going home. /Cartman

Seriously though, the term 'whale' is really stupid, but I think there is some merit to it because you only really hear it used for some of the best and most rare beers. I guess the thread is stupid I just wanted to get an idea of some beers that I have maybe not heard of in this great state of ours.

Also, all of you fools where crying about how hard it was to get Whiskey Rodeo one day after it was released, so I don't wanna hear how its not rare.

34. Daemose

Don't cry.

jbeezification likes this.
  35. Daemose

It's your birthday.

36. it's all about wants/opposed to gots and just general niceness sometimes, overvaluing beer is dumb. I once traded tank 7 and saison Brett for 2 cantillon bio 750s and he threw in rose de gambrinus and a 2004 kriek as extras.

FUNKPhD and chocosushi like this.
  37. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (245) Texas Apr 12, 2012

If Hops and Grains were to put some of their barrel projects in bottles I would mos def whale on that shit!

38. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Whiskey was hard to get but I got like 10 bottles. I threw them in as extras.

39. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

He pulled an Azzy

mattisloco and kmello69 like this.