1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Texas Whales

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jbeezification, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I honestly don't have a hard time trading for almost anything with Texas locals, this thread wasn't specifically meant for talking about what beers I can get for what other beers. I just was curious what were the whale status beers that are brewed in Texas. I still say Whiskey Rodeo, WBDPP, Pumpkinator and maybe OG Black Metal but I understand the consensus of this being a crap thread, even though you fools keep posing here. LMAO worst thread ever has all kinds of posts and discussions and questions.

2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

It's not a bad thread. But we can't talk about what stores have what beer without it being locked, so here we are :)

3. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

That's crazy. I know of a few people in the northeast that landed a case of BCBS. Figured it was easier to land this year.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  4. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Its all about building relationships. I traded 4 Pumpkinators for a pack of this years BCBS, a Treat and some extra beer. I was getting more out of it from his side, but it is a person I have done a few trades with now.

5. miikezombie

See my previous post. I have BCBS covered.

Edit: pimptastik was trying to trade a Freetail brew for BCBS, which used to be a slam dunk.

6. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Was talking to xpimp, thought his quote wouldve carried over. To me the freetail stuff seems like it would've gotten the job done for bobs

7. channels321

channels321 Savant (275) Texas Apr 16, 2012

I traded a Whiskey Rodeo straight up for a 4 pack of BCBS. Trade went beyond that, but that was the initial deal. I wouldnt think it would be too hard to land as I have done it a couple times with nothing but TX beers.

jbeezification likes this.
  8. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (355) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Shouldn't be that hard to land Bcbs at this point as its in much greater abundance currently

9. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

And when people are ISO of it, people ask for things that are rarer because The Bruery = hype train.

And to fix the misunderstanding, people do give a shit about wales, it's just the arbitrary trade values that suck so hard that put people off of trying to land them.

10. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

wut...I got a 4 pack in a large trade that included a whiskey rodeo/pumkinator and other Texas stuffz...shouldn't be that hard seeing as so much BCBS is floating around this year.

Gehrig13 likes this.
  11. miikezombie

I have traded numerous RS beers for off the shelf stuff and on a few occasions for Tx brews I missed out on. I'm about to send a White Chocolate as part of a bigger trade for Mama Mia Its Pizza Beer and a few others.

12. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Of course you did. Whiskey Rodeo is way harder to find than BCBS.

Unfortunately it's not as good as BCBS in my opinion.

13. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Ive seen a ton of BCBS almost everywhere i go in Austin, actually i should not say "seen" but when ive asked, "anything special today" they always mention they just got BCBS.

And, while its a good stout, id rathe buy a four pack of something else for a better price as im not in the its awesome camp.

14. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

o_O

channels321 likes this.
  15. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

They are talking about this BCBS: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/10672 not the Brooklyn one.

16. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Or maybe it would be easier if people didn't think for some reason that BCBS is small batch

FUNKPhD likes this.
  17. FUNKPhD

That would really should be just BCS.

18. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

IMO I don't think Texas really has any "whales," but TX does have a lot of really good beers, which is what we should really be happy about. The two beers that I feel are closest to "whale" status are La Muerta and Ananke, based off of batch size and the fact that they, out the other beers offered in TX, are usual ISO in the trading forum not just around the release date. My best trades have come from trading Freetail stuff. I would rather have a solid line up of beers that I could consistently buy off the shelves rather then an over hyped beer that I have to fight to get specifically for trading.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  19. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

ahhh, ok thanks for updating the village idiot(me) LOL, my add and lexdixia must have made my brain hurt.

FUNKPhD and BeanBone like this.
  20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Jez, I need to make better friends with my bartenders ;)

21. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Freetail is a gold mine for trades IMO, I'm glad I live so close where I can easily snag bottles. Raspberry Ananke was a big hit with my trading partners as was Ananke back in April. I've shipped off alot of OBR, Porto Gallito and Real Tail as well. Also the JK releases are pretty popular as well, I've traded tons of Whiskey/Weasel and Boxers. BCBS '12 hasn't been hard to trade for at all IMO....which is good, because I want as much as I get my hands on. Lol.

22. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Are you serious? Haha i landed 2 bottles of 2012 BCBS for an Endeavour and Mad Meg. I wouldn't have even offered a Pumpkinator.

23. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Bragging thread now?

24. DanzBorin

I guess it still commands a Premium. They usually run about $5.50 a bottle. Mad Meg and Endeavour are usually about a $19 pair.

Don't get me wrong, BCBS is great, but I'm not sure if it's $9.50 a bottle good.

I'm glad I had to drive up for a wedding a few weeks ago and grabbed them off the shelf. :eek:

They all are.

I got mine for money!!! Beat that! :D

25. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I got 2 bottles as extras. :)

26. DanzBorin

:Hifive!: :)

FUNKPhD likes this.
  27. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (515) Texas Nov 27, 2011

OK - I got mine for free! No trade, no money, no nothing. o_O

28. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

This thread is an embarrassment to the Texas beer scene. Yeesh!

jl28r1, wsnich, wolffman17 and 2 others like this.
  29. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (515) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Let's just hope none of the local brewers stumble into this "feel good" thread.....

Daemose likes this.
  30. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Quick, delete it before Jester King sees it.

31. FUNKPhD

[​IMG]

icetrauma likes this.
  32. I was told 512's Double Pecan Porter.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was patently false.

33. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

I had a whole zero responses from this ISO for a 4-pack of BCBS.

34. FUNKPhD

I had one out of the bottle the other day, and I was mildly disappointed. Unfortunately, this beer is night and day difference from tap and from bottle.

35. I've heard it's very good on tap. The last two bottles I had opened like bottles of champagne...and whatever was left after they spilled their guts all over my kitchen...tasted..."off"...and promptly found itself part of the sewer system. lol

jl28r1 likes this.
  36. FUNKPhD

It didn't make its way that far for me, but the carbonation definitely killed the flavor. I felt a bit of embarrassment having sent some bottles out and praising it. Truly two different beers.

Retail1LO likes this.
  37. Maybe worth a re-post. It has been my experience that the BCBS scene has changed a lot since September; in particular, people have begun to realize what, exactly, 5X more of an already fairly large production beer actually means for market forces.

tofuspeedstar and FUNKPhD like this.
  38. I felt a bit embarrassed having sent anything at all out for it after it'd been praised. lol I make more out of it than is really there. I've had bottles from everywhere that have been bad. I just like to pick on Texas because for some reason a lot of Texans seem to get very defensive about brews from their home state. lol

jl28r1 and FUNKPhD like this.
  39. FUNKPhD

:rolleyes:

BeanBone likes this.
  40. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I argued with you a while back when you made a post about Texas beers, this time I will just hit the like button! :)

Cheers!

Retail1LO likes this.