1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

TG Assassin

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by beerboy9960, Jan 24, 2014.

1. beerboy9960

beerboy9960 Member

Can anyone give me some info on how often this gets released, what is previously traded for, etc??
  2. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

The Iowa guys will offer more help but I believe its been released once. Plan on trading your best beers for it
  3. huskermike12

huskermike12 Member

It should more or less be an annual release going forward. The last batch released (yellow wax) was much better than the previous. Also, it's been trading pretty high recently (along the lines of Proprietor's and I think someone told me they traded for a DDG but not 100% sure if I remember that correctly). Cheers!

Mike
  4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

Like I said, the Iowa guys know whats up!
  5. huskermike12

huskermike12 Member

... and just for reference, I got 2 bottles. I sent one out and the other I drank with my friend who bought it for me. So I have had no bottles since about a week after it was released and have no reason to care about the trade value at this point. That being said, I think it was a case limit at the brewery, so some people should still have a stash.
  6. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Member

It's trading pretty bonkers. I know someone who dealt several rare bombers for one. The beer is supposedly godlike. If you really want it, definitely be prepared to roll out heavy hitters and potentially let go of multiples.
  7. striker2160

striker2160 Member

I traded a lot of my Assassin away and for a lot less than several rare bombers per bottle. I am trading my last one for CW black gold, a 13 BCBCS and a 13 KBS.
  8. jrob21

jrob21 Member

I traded an Assassin for a PVW 20 year Eclipse in case that helps.
  9. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

20 yrs value I think has dropped pretty drastically idk if that trade would happen now
  10. mattafett

mattafett Member

I traded mine shortly after it came out 1:1 for Peche n Brett. New batch is coming out in the first half of this year. no solid date as they bottle it when they think it is ready, rather than based on time.
  11. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Member

My friend brought one to a tasting a couple months ago, everyone agreed that it was good, but I would just wait for whenever the new batch comes out rather than trying to trade for one now. Prop + Backyard + 4-pack of BCBCS is a lot of really tasty beer to give up, and that's the only offer I've seen recently.

And do any Iowans have an idea re: bottle count of the yellow wax? Or at least reasoned speculation?
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

I think yellow wax was 1200 bottle count, one case limit pp at the brewery. At least a small bit went to distribution and at least a small bit of that showed up in Madison.
  13. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

This is correct. It was a case limit at brewery release. $20/bottle. Very, very small amount went to distro (I think Des Moines may have gotten a few cases). Release party this year is set for late Spring/early Summer, but not date set as of yet. Therefore, it will be 4+ months before it's released again (this years is aged in Pappy barrels too).
  14. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Member

Cool, thanks guys. And as a not-at-all-constructive aside, really getting weary of the advertising of Pappy barrels. Had way too many mediocre to not good Pappy treatments in the last year. Just let the beer speak for itself.

But of course I understand the other side, if a brewery can get the barrels, why the hell wouldn't you leverage that hype train? So, fair enough. Anyway, looking forward to the next release, regardless.
  15. phishphorce

phishphorce Member

I wouldn't trade anything that great for this beer. I have had it a few times now and its way too sweet/buttery for me to drink more than a couple ounces of it. Of course your mileage may vary but almost everyone that has had it in my presences wouldn't trade bcbs for it. I wish I traded my last bottle.
  16. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Member

Regardless of personal taste and the barrel aged treatment of the previous or future versions this beer is carrying a 4.5+ rating across 281 reviews. It's not my favorite but I think it's reception by the BA community speaks for itself.
  17. maximum12

maximum12 Member

Agreed. It's becoming quite a trend in this forum that if anyone asks anything about a specific beer, a handful of people have to just in with their "Eh, it was just OK & my buddies didn't think it was much better" comments no matter how highly rated/sought after the beer

And no, I don't have any bottles to trade.
  18. striker2160

striker2160 Member

prop+ backyard+4pk of BCBCS. That is to much. Sometimes the price is just to high. I traded most of mine for far less.
  19. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Member

I had 2 bottles. Gave one to a friend and the other I traded for a Cherry Rye. I got to try it a couple of times and last years Assassin just wasn't my favorite. Will I be looking to try the 2014 version. Of course.
  20. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Member

I agree that tastes differ and a large number of reviews coupled with a high average rating has to mean something. That said, the number of beers > 4.5 today is massively greater than what it was a few years ago, especially before hads were a thing. I'm not saying people aren't right to love these beers, but it's to the point that I'm desensitized to a 4.5, and if it's a new beer below 4.2, I don't even get that excited. Giving a beer a 5 should be a serious thing. But this is mostly off-topic and has little to do with Assassin, so carry on!
    vurt likes this.
  21. GBallHead

GBallHead Member

appreciate the heads up, was about to seek this one out, will definitely just wait for next release.
    phishphorce likes this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Member

Not a single beer on this planet worth a Prop/Backyard/ 4 bcbs combo.
    PHBoiler likes this.
  23. lowbit

lowbit Member

To each their own. From my BM, it would appear that at least a few people disagree with you.
  24. nc41

nc41 Member

No doubt in my mind this is true it's an everyday thing , but threre isn't one single beer I'd trade a Prop, Backyard , and a 4 pk of BCBS for. IMO no beer in and by itself it worth that much. Rare yes, sought after, yes, but that's a lot of great beer, even if it's of equal quality you would still lose on volume.
  25. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Member

I have to agree with this. At that point, it's about ticking/showing off at a tasting/etc. I've got no problem with that because people enjoy beer/hobbies differently. That said, if it is purely about drinking beer for enjoyment, trading that many ounces of BCBS for a single bottle of another beer just makes no sense. You have 6 enjoyable drinking experiences versus 1.
  26. lowbit

lowbit Member

If you've got more beer than time (which seems to be true for many serious traders), then swapping six enjoyable but familiar drinking experiences for one enjoyable and new drinking experience may make a lot of sense. There's plenty of evidence of this in the ISO/FT forum.
  27. nc41

nc41 Member

No d
    No doubt in my mind, this kinda trading attitude is really out of kilter, the ISO forum is nothing but a whale hunt. I would love to see more locals 4 locals, just my opinion though. Again to each his own if someone is comfortable with $3 -1 I guess go for it, it's what the forum is for
    Jshari223 likes this.