Comment "Thanks" button

Discussion in 'Site' started by alysmith4, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I like that there's a "like" button for posts, but I think it would be great to have a "thanks" button as well. There are many posts/posters that I want to thank for responding to me or for answering a question, etc., but there's no real good way to do that. I've been using the "like" button in the meantime, but I even got a message from someone saying, "you like a lot of stuff!" which isn't really accurate.

Just wanted to make this suggestion, thanks! :rolleyes:

2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Thanks for posting this. ;)

3. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

It seems though you have a delicate friend problem. I believe therapy and counseling will help you at this point more than anything

4. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

A "Thanks" feature would be redundant. By "Liking" their post you're essentially thanking them for posting; they even get a notice.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

As in you shouldn't do it so much?

Azzy likes this.
  6. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Or take the 5 seconds to type, "thanks"

Pahn, Azzy, ant880 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Seriously? Who has that kind of time or desire to monitor one persons activity? :eek::eek:

8. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Someone on here as so much time on their hands that they analyze how many times someone "likes" then actually point it out to them, crazy!

alysmith4 likes this.
  9. They call them shut-ins.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

Actually, if you "follow" another BA you end up getting a notice on your News Feed every single time they like something. I stopped following a couple of friends because they liked 20-30 posts per day, clogging my news feed.

11. Then we'll need a 'you're welcome' button.

You're welcome.

12. Huh?

13. Yes, that's the impression I got. And I got me thinking that the "like" isn't really accurate anyway.

14. To every single post? For this thread, that would be like 55 seconds!

15. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Really? This doesn't happen for me, in fact I've wondered what "following" someone does. I'm clearly missing out on something. But, that's OK.

16. That's what I thought!

17. Hanzo

I would just tell them to piss off and keep doing what you were doing. If I told you about a new place to go for beer or something and you liked the post, I would understand that as being a thanks. An extra button wouldn't really seem beneficial.

The only buttons I want to see added are helpful or unhelpful for reviews so you can sort to find the best, most informative reviews.

18. Hanzo

I follow a bunch of people and have never seen that, did you activate some setting or something maybe?

19. Haha, yeah, I should have told them to piss off! But then I thought maybe I was "using" the like-button incorrectly or something. Whatever.

I think your idea for the helpful/unhelpful review sorter is great! I guess "top reviewers" is the next best thing.

20. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

It shows up when I pull down the menu from my name and hit "Your news feed". I like to find things friends have posted on, so I can jump on the pig pile if they're giving a noob a hard time. :) But I rarely care to see the things they've liked. If there's a setting I can deactivate I'll do it.

21. Hanzo

I've never clicked that.....for some reason I read that as the Alert part that shows notifications.

My bad, nothing to see here :oops:

22. So instead of getting a message from someone saying "you sure like a lot of stuff," you'd rather get a message that says "you sure like to say thanks a lot!"?

23. My point was that someone commented that I "liked" a lot of things and brought to my attention the inaccuracy of the like-button. And I feel there's a "feedback & help" forum for just this reason: to make suggestions on how to improve BeerAdvocate's website. It was just a small suggestion, not something to make a huge deal about. Todd's response was just fine enough.

I've been a contributing member of this site for quite some time now, and feel like my feedback is valuable. I don't appreciate the snide response from you, and would suggest you spend your time actually writing beer reviews instead of snarky posts.

24. Yeesh, take a joke!

PS, I've been on this site longer than you have. :)

25. Three whole months, yet only enough time to write 50 reviews.

26. Sorry I don't take beer as seriously as you do. I actually had over 100 reviews at one time, erased them all because I thought they were garbage and decided to start over. Still unimpressed by my ability to be a beer critic, I decided reviewing is an occasional thing for me to do when the mood strikes me.

Furthermore, wouldn't the natural question to ask from the beginning be: "how do I keep my likes from showing up in my follower's news feed?" Rather than the absurd request for a "Thanks button?"

27. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

5 seconds to type "thanks"? You don't want the guy to start his keyboard on fire.

bigedct likes this.
  28. Yeesh, I was just joking.

Plus, I didn't know my likes were showing up on someone's news feed. Not sure why my thanks-button request was "absurd," but it seems a few people like the idea. You on the other hand take posting way more serious than beer and again, I don't appreciate the nasty comments. You can go away now.

29. Hanzo

I like this question. Todd?

Reason I ask is a decent amount of people follow me and I didn't realize I was spamming them when I went on my liking rampage almost daily in the what are you drinking thread.

victory4me likes this.
  30. Good luck with your sensitivity issues!

We are all very impressed by your 190 reviews. Have a great day!

31. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I'd rather have a 'gong' button

alysmith4 and victory4me like this.
  32. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Thanks.

33. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

You mean showing up in their Alert Notices. Under Your Account > Alert Settings.

Alright. I believe this thread is down now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.