1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

That "Ahhh...yes." moment of beer enjoyment

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I really never not enjoy a beer. Whether it's just an average sessionable go-to beer with dinner, or a tasting event, or a rare beer, or a new brewery. Or even a beer I buy and find out I don't like much, I still enjoy the experience of trying a new beer. Even, honestly, a PBR or a Coors Light in the appropriate situation. But sometimes, I just have that magical moment, with the perfect beer and the perfect moment, where I reach beer enlightenment.

I'm experiencing beer nirvana right now. After a long day, I just had a major breakthrough at work (I'm a radioactive chemist and I finally figured out a highly effective way to test for Uranium in environmental samples), I treated myself to a $10 4-pack of O'Dell's Myrcenary Double IPA, nobody is home, and I can sit and relax and savor a beer. I think I spent a whole five minutes smelling the floral aroma and setting it down to appreciate the hazy tangerine gold color and the linger of the head and then smelling it again. The first sip was like a citrusy hop detonation. And then left with a piney resin linger. At 9.3% (and being a 125lb lady who barely remembered to eat a cheese stick today), I definitely feel a slight buzzing warmth about halfway through this beer. One of those rare perfect beer moments.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? :) I know we all enjoy beer, but sometimes we have a perfect enjoyment of a beer.

RWNay, buler87, darky and 11 others like this.
  2. Last weekend after a loooooooooooong run... I came home, ate, showered and had a Utrecht Strong Ale from de Rooie dop (local brewery)... everthing fell into place

3. Nice description. I think the experience you're describing is universal. When I lived in Germany, one of my favorite summertime bike tours would take me through a stretch of woods about 3-4 miles and then to the small village of Rossdorf and to the beergarden below, where I'd walk up to the arched doorway, grab a ceramic mug, sit down under the shade of the trees, and take that first cool gulp of Kellerbier...no better feeling in the world.

[​IMG]

4. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Last Christmas Eve I had just gotten off work and had an hour to kill before having to get ready for a party that evening. One of my brothers, his wife and I shared a SA Fezziwig ale at their house. The beer was tasty and it was just so nice to relax for a bit after the craziness of work and the craziness of a family party that night.

MammaGoose likes this.
  5. If the appearance of your beer even includes the descriptor "glowing radiantly", I'd maybe think about that one a bit. ;)

I have that sort of beer moment nearly every time I have a Duvel. I know, I know, common, everyone's had it, old news, etc.

But Duvel is just such a perfect beer... that I always wind up marveling at that a bit. And appreciating the pour a little more.

kojevergas likes this.
  6. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

That's awesome man! I was going to say this past October I went to Germany and made it out to Bamberg...drinking Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock at their tavern was great! Also, drinking at Weihenstephan made me geek out a bit just thinking about how old they are and all of that. Tack on a trip to Aying for some Ayinger offerings and I will just say the whole trip blew my mind!

Cheers!

7. long, crappy day - let's throw in cold and snowy - finally home and everyone's alseep... yeah that first sip of a favorite brew is pretty damn fantastic.

8. MammaGoose

Ahahaha, yes, radioactive jokes flow freely at work. When we get about 400 water samples in one day, I joke that "we should just drink them...drink our problems away...I'll either get spider-like capabilities or grow an arm out of my forehead. It's a safe bet either way."

And I have never had a Duvel :( *want.*

JMS1512 and mecummins like this.
  9. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Fantastic Winter seasonal.

Anyone that disagrees is LYING.

10. :eek:

Wow... that one honestly suprises me a bit.

Go get some, if ya can. One of the few beers I'd call "perfect", or at least as close as you can get.

11. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

This moment occurs every Friday after work, when I sit down at the bar or on my couch with a beer in hand enjoying the fact that I do not have to work again for 63.5 hours.

12. hop notch new years eve.....My first kiss...the bottle

Nectar likes this.
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I enjoy going to work every day at 6AM, but even more so on days when I get to leave at 3:30 in the afternoon, knowing that I will be alone in the house with my beer sans wife and kids. Like tonight! :D

14. Hey uhh, MammaGoose? Marry me?

Brunite and dsal89 like this.
  15. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

The most perfect combination of situation and thirst for beer probably occurs on our family's annual fishing trips. We fish in a lake out west in the more mountainous regions of Sweden close to the Norwegian border. We set the nets in the evening and take them up in the morning. Hauling in the nets takes a couple of hours and then its back to land to clean the fish and sort the nets to have them ready for the evening. The temperatures fluctuate alot over the span of a day, there can be frost on the ground in the morning and then sunny and hot when we're back on land, then it's back to chilly temperatures in the evening. The preparations take until noon to complete.

So a few days go by like that and you get sweaty from wearing warm clothes in the morning working and sweaty from the heat when you're on the fish cleaning station or sorting out the nets. Mid week or so we put up an improvised sauna down by the lake by using a tent and a large boiler with rocks instead of water inside. After the chores are done for the day and the evening comes around and it gets chilly out again we head for the sauna. That feeling of getting into the hot sauna down by the water, cracking a cold beer, sitting there just relaxing is truly rewarding.

herrburgess likes this.
  16. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Good beer + good live band = Best time possible

17. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Ha ha! I just so happened to have that exact moment. I was just getting into craft and my favorite band was just setting up. That is Bell's Two Hearted in that little plastic cut there Steimie, and it gave me one of those "Ahhh yes" moments. Even in a plastic cup! :) I would even dare to say that was about the best Two Hearted I ever had.
    [​IMG]

18. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Every workday I get home 4-430, I walk into the garage, open my beer fridge and grab 2 beers. I change into shorts and a t-shirt and plop into my lazyboy with a pint glass and the two beers. That first sip and I am transported to a happy place...

gcamparone likes this.
  19. MammaGoose

Hehe, I have a wonferful boyfriend. We're actually known as "Brewman and Mamma Goose." He brews delicious beers, and I Mamma-goose everyone...I make sure everyone has delicious food to eat and beer to drink. :)

landrewg and MontereyBay831 like this.
  20. Sipping on a refreshing beer on the patio with my wife on one of those unusually warm spring days.....it can't come soon enough!

21. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

That first beer after a long day when either everyone is asleep or not home. Absolutely perfect.

gcamparone likes this.
  22. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

hell ya. OK, radiochemist, I've got lab stories too! Just finished-up a few months in the lab... wading through 14C and 3H... in vitro, ex vivo whatever. it's everywhere. Collaborating w/ my hyper husband means I don't even get a pee break, nonetheless lunch or time for some coffee.
    Come home.... sucks, nugget nectar, or maybe a bcbs? Son blabbering insane random thoughts (see what are you drinking #124), and the beer makes everything ok again...... comfy couch, crazy 4 year old, nice food and peace.

23. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

and congrats on the breakthrough! I know that must have been years in the making. Feels super good when it finally happens!!! :D

herrburgess likes this.
  24. *Tried to give up beer for lent. Made it about a week, and caved in to a Red Chair one evening. Probably one of the most delicious beers I've had and is making it that much harder to avoid beer.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  25. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Beer enjoyment with Coors Light? The anti-beer? I don't know about that.

26. I like that first pour off a keg of homebrew. Then I know I've got a tasty few weeks ahead of me.

27. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

A great beer moment came some years ago when my nephew and I cracked open a 22 oz. Rogue Santa's Private Reserve Ale around Christmas time. We each took a quaff and both both went WOWWWWWW!!! With each additional quaff it was the same great taste and reaction till the last drop. When done I just wish we had another bottle or two. We had others to try. But that was a VERY hoppy occasion.

28. LieutenantDan

LieutenantDan Disciple (50) Texas Nov 18, 2012

The ahh yes moment for me? when im at the bar and a beautiful woman accepts the beer i sent her (such as blanche de bruxells with a splash of fruli, snake bite, or a midas touch) and comes up to me after the first sip and asks me where i have been all her life.

29. One of my favorite "ahhh moments" with beer has to do with when my wife delivered our baby boy last March. My wife was in labor for 40 hours! Now, I am not even going to attempt to pretend like I was overwhelmed, frustrated or exhausted during those 40 hours, as anything I experienced was nowhere near what my wife was going through. Nevertheless, watching her get broken in half every 5 minutes for 40 hours, was not fun. I have never been so exhausted from doing next to nothing. In any event all ended well. Our son was born on a Saturday. On the Sunday our friends came to visit us in the hospital. They are beer geeks too. My buddy snuck in a sixer of Sam Adams Noble Pils, one of my all time favorites. We drank it out of styrofoam cups that were there for me to fetch ice for my wife whilst in delivery.

While my wife was the one who truly deserved the beer, she was in no condition to drink. So I had to celebrate for the both, uh scratch that, for the three of us! That first sip, of one of my favorite beers, after such a monumental day, was an "ahhhhhhhh moment!"

My wife, the ever-obssesed IPA lover, was rewarded with Pliny and Heady when she was ready to enjoy beer again. I can't speak for her, but she looked like she was having an "ahhhh moment" herself.

30. I just had a really "ahhhh." moment, one that I wasn't expecting. I opened a bottle of Southern Tier Phin and Matt's, and I just wasn't a fan of it. Something about the aftertaste that stuck in my mouth just wasn't very good to me. I wanted something else, and I just bought a case of Budweiser because I'm throwing a party this weekend and I figured it'd be good to have some BMC stuff here. I grabbed one of those, just because I didn't want to open one of my other good beers that I've got in my fridge. The wateriness and the lightness of Budweiser was somehow (I know I'll probably get banned from this website for saying this) refreshing.

31. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I
    I had that feeling last night while enjoying an exceptional bomber of FFF's Dreadnaught. Sitting on the couch in my comfy clothes while catching up on some TV shows, just me and my beer. Total satisfaction :)

creepinjeeper likes this.
  32. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

My late Dad used to tell me that I said "ahhh" when he gave me my first sip of bock, when I was 2 yrs old, in Badtolz, Germany. My Mama said I just had gas.

frazbri likes this.
  33. I definately know what you mean. You see, I'm a nuclear space surgeon/chemist, and I just finished my discovery of practical fusion energy, and I identified the gene sequences resposible for all cancer, and cured it. It was after this typical day that I sat down with a Ghostrider IPA (Wasatch). I wasn't expecting to be surprised, but after examining the carbonation bubbles for an hour, I took my first sip, and was instantly transported to an alternate universe. A beer universe. I'm gonna stop here.

34. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

The first Pliny I had was one of those moments, definitely. And getting to tap our first keg of it at the bar I work at last night for my birthday was another one I'll never forget!

35. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

12 hours in the back country climbing 2,000' of vertical, with skis, back pack, AVY gear, and friends... Yea, I'll say a can or 3 of Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale does the trick for me... Is it a craving, or just an appreciation for a really good beer over looking the icicle river ?

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I will be having one of these "moments" this evening after the Blackhawks make hockey history. I'll likely be doing it with some BCBS, Hopslam, or Abt12.....depending on what my tastes dictate at the time.

johnyb, DHS1029 and mecummins like this.
  37. Rion

Rion Savant (265) North Carolina Jan 30, 2013

After a long day of dealing with people at work and I open a sucks. Theres nothing better.

38. I can picture it now.

When I walk in she is already sitting there on the counter waiting for me, beads of swear dripping down her neck. It's been a long day at work, but none of that matters now. All it takes is a quick flick of my wrist and she is topless. Her mouth exhales and a lovely perfume fills the air. I gently hold her by the neck and bring her to horizontal. I make sure not to push her down too fast, but there it is, a slight gurgling sound as the head finally comes into fruition. Now I'm lowering my head all the while breathing deep through my nose, consuming her full aroma. As I take her into my mouth I'm brought to a distant land far from work and chores. Her taste washes away all the troubles of the day. After I'm done I wipe my top lip with the back of my hand and whisper her name "ahh, Anna. Your father Shaun did a good job with you"

I think I'll call it 50 shades of grain :p

39. This.....

This is the dream. Cheers.

40. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

And to think we had tons of places like this across the US before the Prohibition. IMO the biggest beer casualty of it.*

*I'm not trying to compare the US ones to German ones since you'd have to be over 100 to actually have drank at both, but just imagine how awesome it would be to have beer gardens all over the place!

Giovannilucano and herrburgess like this.