1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

That annoying Miller Fortune commercial

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Jun 13, 2014.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

You know, the one with the Brit actor: "...brewed for more spirited nights. It's undistilled..."

Aside from eisbocks, or maybe Utopias (and I'm not even sure about those), is any beer distilled? WTF does that even mean?

I know, they're trying to make this beer look like whisky or something. But I find it deeply stupid—which is to say, par for the course for a BMC marketing campaign.

Sorry, it's late and I needed to vent. Feeling better already. Good night.
  2. DoubleYourD

DoubleYourD Zealot (75) Colorado May 13, 2014

I'm on your side, man. I hang my head every time I drive pass one of the billboards. It's as if a "cold-brewed lager" wasn't groundbreaking enough.
    AGust82 and Scrapss like this.
  3. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

I picked up on the "un-distilled" claim myself and thought wtf...these guys are allowed to "brew" beer and sell it for people to drink. The shitty part was when I turned to the person next to me, to try to get agreement on how ridiculous that advertisement was, I could see in their eyes that they thought I was the odd one for calling out the anomaly.
    Scrapss, Bung and WckdVbz like this.
  4. The actual taste of the beer is even more annoying than the commercial.
  5. The beer tastes good to me, but the commercials are creepy. The stores and bars in this area are returning the product in droves...would have been a good summer beer if they'd timed the roll-out for May instead of February and had better marketing...
  6. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

It means the Miller advertising and marketing crew is finally getting the message that Miller/Coors are losing more market share to Distilled Spirits than they are losing to other beer brands. Large numbers of Baby boomers and other groups of alcohol consumers with some money to spend are switching their alcohol consumption away from beer to drink Distilled Spirits such as Bourbon, Vodka, etc.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. Aren't ice beers (natural ice, bud ice, keystone ice, etc) freeze "distilled"?
    Perhaps the marketing is to let those people know it has a clean finish, but didn't go through freeze distillation to increase the alcohol content?
    EConnOG likes this.
  8. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

Ice beers, especially Eisbocks, are made stronger through "fractional freezing". This process, where you essentially make a beer slushy (freeze a fraction of the beer), then drain the beer and throw away the ice, is considered a form of distillation by the US government because it is a process that increases alcohol strength without relying on natural yeast metabolism to convert sugars into ethanol. This process concentrates alcohol by removing water (ice) from the distilled liquid since alcohol does not have a freezing point of 32F/0C. You repeat this cycle until your liquid is as strong as you desire, but it's important to calculate for the volume you'll loose over time. This is why craft made Eisbocks (though technically illegal) sell for so much- because through fractional freezing, a 100 barrel batch of beer will quickly yield not so many barrels of Eisbock.

Ice beers like Keystone Ice also have higher alcohol contents due to freezing, but they undergo much less freezing than an Eisbock.

As for Miller Fortune, seeing someone sip a bourbon colored beer from a rocks glass gets me every time. Like a spirits drinker would go for that. As far as marketing goes, this is another clear case, as several others have pointed out, of Big Beer marketing their beers as innovative by taking advantage of ignorant consumers and marketing actual brewing techniques common to most, if not all beer brewing. If you think all your alcohol comes from distillation, you should probably read a book about your favorite alcohol and learn about your little yeast friends and how the process always starts with them farting out ethanol. But "undistilled" sure sounds better than "slightly higher concentrated yeast fart."
  9. I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. Lol.
    DelMontiac, JMS1512 and StuartCarter like this.
  10. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

Sometimes I'm amazed at the pettiness of it all...there are a lot of things going on in the world that are truly important...BMC commercials are not one of them. If people were as passionate about each other as they were about their hobbies and/or obsessions maybe everyone wouldn't be so jaded...:p...come on man, can't we just all get along? :D
  11. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Why do they pour it into a rocks glass?
    RobertColianni likes this.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I'm guessing they say it is "undistilled" because they've been pushing the "drink this beer in a rocks glass" idea. They are trying to get you to subconsciously liken this beer to a much, much more sophisticated drink.
    RichardMNixon likes this.
  13. Whenever a commercial annoys me, I change the channel and Voila!, the annoyance is gone. Try it.
    bubseymour likes this.
  14. Why is that any different than a tulip, pint glass, snifter, wine glass, mug, pilsner glass, etc?
    Boca-X, Roguer and Rekrule like this.
  15. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

Well generally a rocks glass won't hold a whole 12oz bottle of beer, and at the ever-so-strong 6.9% I'm pretty sure pouring it all in to one glass won't get you massively shitfaced. It's not like you need to sip the damn thing unless it literally tastes like ass.
    rollom and doowhat like this.
  16. Raucey

Raucey Zealot (85) Virginia Nov 26, 2013

Yea man I don't find this petty at all. The primary function of the BA forums is to discuss topics such as this.
    I work in marketing and I think it's incredibly interesting. Sure, you can change the channel but the commercial still exists and millions of people are going to be influenced by it in some way or another. Some might shake their heads and ignore it but if it works as it's intended to, then some - maybe many - will spend their dollars on more BMC product because of an ad that is capitalizing on the viewers' naivety.
  17. This commercial reminds me of that terrible commercial for 1800 Tequila where the other actor guy turns the bottle upside down and pours a shot into the lid. This commercial was clearly marketed towards complete idiots because if you have ever tried it (which I did before that commercial ever came out) you would know that it doesn't work...unless you like sucking the tequila out of the 'cork'. End rant. Point is, they are not marketing this towards consumers looking for quality craft beers.
    doowhat likes this.
  18. Raucey

But I do think they are going after consumers that are at the very least interested in craft beer. It seems like an attempt (in terms of both marketing and the product itself) to retain the customers who are gravitating toward craft beer AND spirits. I totally get it and, as a business that wants to remain profitable, they have every right to do this. What is unnerving about the whole thing is their exploitation of their viewers' lack of knowledge through the use of seemingly sophisticated, yet arbitrary industry language (triple hops brewed, un-distilled, etc).
  19. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

You gotta love when marketing touts common ingredients and processes as unique to a product. It's almost as fun as when they make up terms that are pure nonsense.
    cavedave, Providence and Raucey like this.
  20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Screw that. Why should I be forced to change the channel because a stupid commercial pops up in the middle of my favorite programming? Better just to bitch about it on the Internet.
  21. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Advocate (605) Florida Aug 27, 2012

Just be grateful you are intelligent enough not to be fooled by the BS marketing. Lots of others can't say the same.
    CaptainPiret likes this.
  22. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I find the Miller 64 ones much more annoying...
    russpowell likes this.
  23. The ad agency that dreamed up this masterpiece has been canned. Good article about the marketing - and the future potential - of this latest Miller spinoff:
    http://www.plzdontletbuddie.com/cur...elow/spinning-failure-telling-millers-fortune

Miller Fortune is targeted toward young, new drinkers who are drinking liquor instead of beer. I suppose they think pouring it over ice into a rocks glass will be a lot more appealing to someone who'd otherwise be drinking a rum and coke.
  24. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Maybe they're hoping to educate the crucial 21-31 set by subtly introducing such beverage processing technologies as distillation / ice-distillation. You know, drop the term into a stupid, overpriced commercial that some moke will watch in between 3-pointers and blaring rock at the local bar, maybe spice up the abysmal contemporary vernacular of the Millennials.

No???
  25. volanova

volanova Zealot (80) Pennsylvania Jan 17, 2009

I'm still not entirely sure how they're even allowed to call that stuff beer...

Had one once because it was being given out free after a race, tasted like water. I looked at the bottle to discover it had 2ish%ABV. I really do think that all they do to produce it is take MGD and cut it 50% with water.
  26. JDV

JDV Advocate (570) Texas Nov 24, 2007

Spoken with that accent, I'll believe anything.
  27. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

So you use a rocks glass for beer regularly? Why is it any different? Because they're all different. A 9oz rocks glass for a 12oz American Amber Lager seems like an odd choice. I am in the school that proper glassware can enhance the drinking experience but what do I know...
    checktherhyme and cavedave like this.
  28. Fargrow

Fargrow Savant (445) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

Could beers like this be a blessing in disguise? If someone who normally drinks BMC tries Miller Fortune thinking it's a craft beer and enjoys it, it's unlikely that they'll stop with just that. They'll most likely go on to try other craft beers, enjoy them, and probably won't drink Fortune again. It's hard to imagine there's a permanent niche between drinkable, cheap AALs and Craft Beer. I guess we will see.
  29. For me, changing the channel is immediate stress relief. But in reality, I DVR 90% of what I want to watch and fast forward through the commercials.
  30. MNAle

MNAle Savant (275) Minnesota Sep 6, 2011

+1

C'mon, guys. Not all beer marketing is BMC v Craft, or my beer v the other guy's beer.

This ad is clearly targeting the non-beer spirits drinkers.

Message: Yes, beer is not distilled, but it is sophisticated.

Jeez.
  31. Boca-X

I disagree...it's business and if someone buys a BMC due to a commercial and they like it...there is no naivety? Your assuming your choice in craft beer is the right choice? People's tastes are different...I have had many of friends try the beers I enjoy (IPAs, DIPAs, browns, stouts) and they just don't like them...are they naive? I don't think so, am I better than they are...again, I don't think so.

If you read through these threads you will see I don't bang on the BMCs of the world, as far as I'm concerned it is business and I'm pro capitalism. As this sites name suggests, I'm a Beer Advocate...not just a Craft Beer Advocate.

I agree that we should discuss whatever we want on BA as pertaining to beer, including this but I stand by what I said and find BMC commercials to be irrelevant in the scope of things...I'm not offended by commercials unless they are misguided political ads...everything else is part of the free market system...cheers brother!
    paulys55 likes this.
  32. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Agreed... loss of beer sales to spirits is obviously weighing on Miller-Coors and marketing of Fortune is clearly aimed to win back or slow some of those losses. But disguising a beer like a spirit seems like a losing battle to me because the products are so different. It's like a restaurant telling a customer, we don't have the steak you want, but we think you'll like this chicken instead.

I'm more surprised the big brewers haven't got themselves into the wine and spirits markets, like how they have worked themselves into the craft beer markets. Like the old saying goes, if you can't beat them, join them! I know wine and spirits are different from beer production and distribution, but there are precedents of brewers also being involved in spirits (like Rogue and Dogfishhead). Miller-Coors or InBev certainly have the capital to buy their way into spirits markets through aquisitions if they wanted. Or maybe the big brewers already have done this and I'm not aware of it. Paging @jesskidden !
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  33. Raucey

You're jumping to some pretty big conclusions there. It would be asinine to assume that all BMC beer drinkers are naive - I think it's apparent this was not my point. However, there certainly are naive people that don't know anything about the process in which beer, spirits, wine, etc is made and for BMC to capitalize on this is a bit underhanded. I'd also like to clarify that being labeled naive is not a negative thing - I simply mean that these people are uninformed. This should not lead you to surmise that I have a superior perspective on beverage choice, though.

And let's be real here - how many threads have you seen with lengthy discussions on the shelf-life of, say, Coors Banquet Beer or how this batch of Chelada just doesn't taste the same as the last batch? People here are talking about craft beer. It is what it is.
  34. Distilled beer is whiskey.
    smellandsip37 likes this.
  35. I agree, it's an obnoxious commercial, but not so different than their whole "triple hopped" tagline for Miller light from a few years ago. Seeing as how pretty much every commercial beer that uses hops adds said hops three times (or more) during the brewing process.

Then again, we're talking about a competitor to a company whose primary point of differentiation is the fact that their beer is super cold. So cold that they've constructed an elaborate ad campaign about how the beer is sourced directly from the uppermost mountain peaks.

Advertising, when done poorly, is all fucking stupid. And I say this as someone who has worked in advertising for almost a decade.
    russpowell likes this.
  36. They aren't competitors anymore.
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  37. If the term undistilled becomes a thing on beer commercials, I think I will jump off of a cliff.
  38. Boca-X

My conclusions/assumptions were drawn from your post and my perceptions of it...thanks for explaining your opinion more clearly...I agree that all BMC drinkers aren't naive...that kinda was my point? And again I agree that there are not a lot of people who know the process in which beer and spirits are made...and again I agree that naive is not necessarily a bad thing/trait.

My original point...and still is..that BMC commercials do not offend me...there is more in life worth worrying about?
  39. Boca-X

OBNOXIOUS?

This is exactly what I'm discussing with another BA member. Really...obnoxious? How thin skinned are some of you? Wound tighter than a slinky...here is the meaning of obnoxious...oh, by the way...it is a commercial...

ob·nox·ious
    əbˈnäkSHəs/
    adjective
    1. extremely unpleasant.
      synonyms:unpleasant, disagreeable, nasty, distasteful, offensive, objectionable,unsavory, unpalatable, off-putting, awful, terrible, dreadful, frightful,revolting, repulsive, repellent, repugnant, disgusting, odious, vile, foul,abhorrent, loathsome, nauseating, sickening, hateful, insufferable,intolerable, detestable, abominable, despicable, contemptible
  40. Boca-X

Devils advocate...

Haha...I am also in advertisement and here is another MF (that makes me laugh) commercial :p

"Fortune comes to those who seek"...well played

For the record...I haven't had MF, so I cant make a judgement call on the brew but the commercials are clever, well done and peak interest...exactly what they are suppose to do?
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014