1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

THAT'S what a beer should taste like.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crytion, Dec 22, 2012.

1. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

Every one has their own beer that they measure other beers up against, I think. I doubt that it is some obscure brewery, but rather a very common one that is widely produced. Ive had many many beers and many different kinds but still when I think of beers as they were meant to be, at their very core, I never think of the best i've ever had. so.... what beer is "what a beer should taste like", for you?
  2. Non-commercial: Zombie Dust is up there. Light, crisp, good hop nose and flavor. Easily drinkable.
    More commercial: I''d say Fat Tire. I can drink that with almost anything.
    crytion, DevilsCups and Casedogg43 like this.
  3. If we are talking about that "beer flavor" that the masses think of I would say New Glarus Spotted Cow is about as high up their as you can get in that regard.

For my self, when I sip a beer the first beer that makes me think that is NG Moon Man.
    Kyrojack and YogiBeer like this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I only think this way within STYLES, and within styles I have a small handful of ones that are reasonable candidates for the exemplar of that style.
  5. I compare everything to sierra nevada. I find them to be completely average. anything better than them is usually a good beer
    crytion, Jnorton00, IamMe90 and 2 others like this.
  6. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I have to 2nd Zombie Dust.
    It's just that much of a game changer!
  7. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

Definitely depends on the style.
    Imperial stout - Old Rasputin
    IPA - Two Hearted
    etc.
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  8. Barrel aged stout pedestal: BCBS hands down for me. It's just that damn perfect and I've had tons of others in this style.
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH and Duff27 like this.
  9. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Gumball Head - APWAs
    Weinstephaner - Hefes
    KBS - Bourbon Aged Stouts (to be fair I've never had it fresh or BCBS with some age on it)
    Ballast Point Sculpin - American IPA

ETA: Just realized how boring this list is, I think all but KBS are the top beer of their style as ranked on this site... All well I stand by it!
  10. Anchor Steam. Good balance between malt and hops. Great example of a craft beer.
    crytion, EdTheEdge, afrokaze and 3 others like this.
  11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I could name a few off the top of my head: New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat, Rochefort 10, & Duvel
  12. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  13. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I couldn't disagree more with most of you. Barrel aged beers are exactly that - beer placed in a barrel to taste like something else. Fat Tire is gimmicky; Anchor Steam steamed the taste right out of the beer, Spotted Cow is a train wreck.

Personally I'm going for the West Coast IPA style with a big hop aroma where the taste matches the smell.
    luwak likes this.
  14. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I don't think there is one "this is what beer should taste like" beer.
  15. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Could be any of these:

[​IMG]
    thepartybird, Kuemmelbrau and luwak like this.
  16. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

Here in Florida, we are trying to get our grapefruit to taste like bittered barley malt and yeast.
    luwak likes this.
  17. Please explain: How is Fat Tire gimmicky, how does Anchor "steam" the taste out of the beer, and how is Spotted Cow (one of the most inoffensive gateway beers around) a train wreck? Just curious.
    thepartybird, Brunite and Zach136 like this.
  18. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Wayyy too many different beers... but in terms of Quaffability, price, flavor, alcohol content, and all around badassery... Zombie Dust and Hop Stoopid are hard to beat.
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  19. When I was very young indeed, probably in the 1950s , I took a swig from a bottle of my Dad's beer.Probably Bass (which was nothing like today's Bass) and it stunned me with its "beeriness" for want of a better word.
    I still like to find beeriness like this in my drinks.I don't want my beer to taste of grapefruit or coffee, I want it to taste of beer :)
  20. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Rochefort 10 is what I'd imagined a beer might taste like when I was a kid...
    huysmans likes this.
  21. fredmugs

Fat Tire: Sweet, fruity tasting beer that I'm guessing they made for women. Beer for the pretentious.
    Anchor Steam: A clear taste of nothing. Better than Miller Lite I guess.
    Spotted Cow: It's a cream beer. I don't put milk in my coffee and I certainly don't want to taste it in beer. Same reason I love most of Bell's stouts but hate their double cream version. Beer shouldn't taste like that.

The topic is what a beer SHOULD taste like. IMO not fruity, not creamy, not like a shot of bourbon, and not bland.
  22. LOL, never thought anyone would be considered pretentious for drinking an easily obtainable craft beer on a website full of people who spend ungodly amounts of money trying to tick the rarest of beers.

To each their own, I guess.
    elgiacomo, Brunite and fuzzylogic like this.
  23. alelover

alelover Advocate (585) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

why not start off by telling us what yours is?
  24. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

For me it's a toss up. Either Dale's Pale or Alpha King.
    crytion likes this.
  25. I think beer should taste like whatever brewers want it to taste like and whatever they think people would like. The brewer that comes to mind in this case is Dogfish Head. The only thing it shouldn't taste like is watered down trash with crappy cheap ingredients. I think the sky should be the limit with beer.

And for the record, why shouldn't beer taste like "cream in your coffee"? This is only your opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that love this beer...one being me. I just don't think one person should tell us what beer should and shouldn't taste like (besides like watered down beer with cheap ingredients).
  26. Not to bad mouth West Coast IPA's, but being from the west coast & like anything else, they get old and the same real fast. What are some of your personal favorites?
  27. Pliny the Elder
    Happy Hops (New recent recipe)
    Hoppy Birthday
    Ted Fidy
    2008 BCBS
    Celebration Ale
    Bigfoot
    crytion likes this.
  28. Skunked bottles aside, I feel like Pilsner Urquell - if not the best lager around - is the benchmark for ultra-light, chuggable pilsners.
  29. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I did a facepalm after reading your Spotted Cow description. The style has nothing to do with dairy products. (some cream & milk stouts are brewed with some lactose for sweetness)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/6
    Brunite likes this.
  30. fredmugs

Pliny, Union and Double Jack, Hopsickle, Alpine Duet, Myrcenary, Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard. My non west coast favs are Hopslam, Heady, Double Trouble, Flower Power, Zombie Dust, Double Simcoe, Schlafly A and T-IPA.
  31. For my favorite styles, it seems my go-to comparison point is Sierra Nevada.
    IPA - Torpedo. Very rarely do I try a new IPA and think "Yeah, I'd buy this at (x%) markup over Torpedo"
    Imperial Stout - Narwhal. Same idea. If you make a stout better than Narwhal, you're really doing something right, and probably charging a lot more for it.
    airmike, AmitC and SanFranJake like this.
  32. Fat Tire: Fruity? It's an amber with obvious malt flavors and a nutty aftertaste. Sure, it's sweet, most ambers are. Also lololo only women like sweet beverages dumb bitchez lollolo cheap gateway craft beers are soooo pretentious

Spotted Cow: There is no cream in it and I always thought the cream ale label was surprising because I hardly detect any of it. It's not an amazing beer but it is very drinkable and responsible for getting a lot of people into craft and I respect that.
    thepartybird likes this.
  33. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

:rolleyes:
  34. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

annnnnd fred mugs is lonely.
  35. dsigmon

dsigmon Advocate (580) Virginia Jun 20, 2007

I have to agree with Fat Tire. I LOVE all styles of beer and have found what I consider the best of the best of those styles however, I can never enjoy more than 2-3 of those in a row. Fat Tire, I could drink all day and enjoy every drop (only on draft though lol).
    crytion likes this.
  36. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Founders Porter, Zombie Dust, Duvel and St Bernardus 12. I would probably be happy only drinking those four brews for the rest of my life.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  37. also, for my votes, bcbs, breakfast stout, allagash white, zombie dust
  38. Fish

Fish Initiate (0) Oregon Dec 19, 2012

Had an Old Rasputin on Christmas Eve. On the first drink I said, "THAT'S what a beer should taste like."
  39. for a stout: Stone RIS. had my first one the other night and yeah.... no frills but one of the best RIS beers ive had.