1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

the 2013 Aged Stouts thread

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Folks,
    Always a useful topic.
    Had a couple recently that had been put away over the summer, and thought I'd see if anyone agrees or diasagrees.
    • Red Hill quite frankly didn't make it. Very thin and one dimensional. Have two more of this and I recall it was really quite good last winter, let's hope for some bottle variation when I open the next
    • 2012 Wild Thing is not quite the beer it was in previous years. Some odd BBQ meat notes creeping in. Have too many left and not hopeful.
    • Seasons in the Abyss coming together nicely after a year.
    • Not a stout - but - Little Creatures Day of the Long Shadow held up very well.

any more for any more?
  2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

2012 Ten Fidy was pretty awesome...not sure if that counts

Have never tried the Red Hill Imperial Stout.

2012 Wild Thing was extremely boozy at release...I am sitting on plenty and at one point they did seem to be improving...not really sure with this one to be honest.

Seasons in the Abyss is just strange...I drank it for the first and only time almost a year ago now...will be interesting to see what happens to it with age, and I have plenty of this one too.

I have at least two bottles of Day of the Long Shadow- thought that might be a fun one to cellar so I'm hopeful with what you've said.

Interesting to see the Quiet American get good reviews (at least one the other site)...I opened one near release and it was terrible and drainpoured...opened an aged one at a tasting and between three of us we didn't want to finish it. Still have one of these unfortunately.
  3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I was going to go through my cellar today and put some stuff in the fridge to drink. I really need to start making a dent in it, as the amount of beer I have on hand I could open my own little shop!
  4. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

2011 wild thing---- very nice, good roasty notes and some hop bitterness still.
    2012 wild thing--- not good, cooked sausage notes. Tough to drink
    Seasons in the Abyss--- not good either. Met the drain. Not to be mean but the Jester King version is the standard I think.
    Had a 2009 Ten Fidy earlier this year and that was fantastic

Worth getting as still on shelves is North Coast's Old Stock. Still developing and getting really nice.
  5. I tried another Seasons in the Abyss a little while ago and think it might be really something in a year or two.
  6. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Not holding out much hope for Seasons in the Abyss. Had a bottle in the last fortnight and it was like Black Forest Cake, quite weird. Got tough towards the end of a shared bottle. Can't predict where it will go from here.

Haven't been a fan of Wild Thing 2012. Had 2 bottles in the last 2 months. Both way overcarbonated. Like a trip to the deli, but didn't have to take a number.

Got plenty of both still. Not holding onto too much else. Have a Mornington Imperial Stout in the fridge that i'll open soon, but that's about it.
  7. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

My relatively recent experiences:

- Clout Stout Batch 1 (2010 I think?) - mellowed out nicely and still drinking very well. Got 2 more.
    - Wild Thing 2010 - last bottle I had has started to fall apart. Not in the way of typical oxidation, but body is thinning and odd weak honey flavours are emerging. 4 more bottles left.
    - Wild Thing 2012. Same as others have observed. Has never remotely resembled the beer of previous vintages. Hoping for miracles but not confident. About 6 more remaining.
    - Heart of Darkness 2010. Cracked last week. Moderately oxidized and barely drinkable.
    - Moo Brew Stout Oak Aged 2009 and 2010. Both holding up well and ageing nicely. 3 of each left.
    - Hargreaves Hill RIS Batch 1 (2012?). Tried 2 months ago and tasting amazing. 1 left.
    - Red Duck The Ox 2010. Last tried about 18 months ago and was excellent. 1 more left

Real mixed bag overall. Definitley no guarantees in the ageing game.
  8. does anyone ever cellar (or even drink) Coopers or Southwark stouts?

I have two 750s of Coopers in the cellar from a year ago, and was pondering when to open, ie a year or two? (and I know the obvious answer is open one now)
  9. mulder1010

http://www.edinburgh.com.au/
    they have 5 year old Coopers Stout and Sparkling. $25 a 750 ML bottle.
    I aged a coopers stout 18 months and it was quite nice.
    There is an old thread about ageing Cooper's stuff as the yeast is good for cellaring.
  10. mulder1010

was wrong, $20 a bottle
  11. Lukie

I have aged Cooper's in the past and it was okay. I guess it is cheap enough to grab a carton of 750's and leave it in the cellar.

I still don't get the Southwark thing. I had it on tap and it was dreadful.
  12. ah well, big surprise last night.... previous two (or maybe even three) 2012 Wild Thing were not good, very BBQ sausage.

opened one last night and it was well on the money. over carbonated but with a few swirls over time, drinking very very nicely indeed....
  13. danieelol

Has anyone here tried 2013 Wild Thing?
  14. Not a stout but the Ten20 commemorative has aged superbly into a Barley Wine. Same cannot be said for the Noir Stout.

I really hope some of the big US stouts I have will stand up on my stout night !
    CarlisleWineBin likes this.
  15. danieelol

Well the Noir Stout sucked on release and was watery so I imagine aging it wouldn't have improved it

Quite jealous of the Ten20 stash though
  16. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Enough already. You've gained more than enough bragging mileage from your Ten20 stash :)
  17. Lukie

I think I have a Ten20 still.
  18. MrKennedy

Hoping it's infected?
  19. LOL might put one in the fridge for the weekend !
  20. Lukie

Infected with the tears of Armand DeBulder.
  21. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

How are you guys cellaring your stouts & barleywines? I tend to keep them in the fridge even though I know they should be at about 10-12C. What sorts of cellars do people have?

Have a couple of Boris's put away as well as SN Narwoul & Bigfoot.
  22. Wine fridge standing upright at about 12 -14 degrees
    foles likes this.
  23. MrKennedy

In case you get confused like me today, Wild Thing now has a 1 year best before on it (previously 2 years). The 2013 release has a BB date of 160514 on the back.
  24. MrKennedy

The 2012 has 060614 best before on it.

25. bottom of wardrobe is now a no clothes zone, luckily my bedroom gets no summer sun which helps
  26. Interested - I know Mulder1010 has tried, any others tied and how doe sit hold up now and maybe for a year's time? Worth buying a case / 4-pack or maybe just the single?
  27. MrKennedy

It was alright, but with Founders Porter at $27ish a 6 pack and Breakfast stout at $23ish a 4 pack, I'd find it hard to justify $12ish a bottle for the Murray's if I was after something dark.