1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The abbey of Westvleteren, about the new building....(In english)

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Brabander, May 21, 2012.

1. The film starts with brother Joris in the left corner below and above him with the white cap on is brother Michael.

Thijs
  2. uturn

uturn Advocate (515) Florida Sep 19, 2003

Very Interesting video & Thanks for sharing.

Do you know the main purpose as to why this video was made?

Thanks
    Mike
  3. It was made because of the new building that was built in the last years. The building is ready now and they wanted to celebrate that with this film about how they live. There is a longer version which was on the Belgium television last weekend.

Thijs
  4. Vaison

Vaison Aficionado (190) Delaware Aug 27, 2010

that place looks huge for the amount of people living in it!
  5. It is a huge place indeed when you look at how monks are living there. A part of the building will be used to house guests who can come to the abbey for a few days to come to rest!

Thijs
  6. spdyfire83

spdyfire83 Savant (320) Ireland Oct 17, 2009

Simple, peaceful, and beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Thijs! Can't wait for our visit in a couple of weeks.
  7. p1lsen

p1lsen Zealot (90) Illinois Apr 4, 2008

Any word when the Abdij will be ready to accept guests?
  8. Somewhere and 2012, beginning of 2013. I am trying to be one of the first for this!

Thijs
  9. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

I hope they have rooms enough , after a visit to cafe in de vrede and a few westy 12 's we can all ring the bell of abbey and ask for a room :)
    Do they give special discount rate's i've we pay with visa ?
  10. Nice one Thijs. Super.
  11. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

One day I hope to make the trek across to visit the Abbey and, I trust my brother Thijs, that you will be my guide!
  12. drtth

drtth Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Thanks for posting this, it is nice to see and brings back several memories. During my travels in Europe I've had the opportunity to be a guest in more than one Abbey, both in Germany and Austria (perhaps one day in Belgium). Simplicity, self-reflection and peacefulness are there for the guests as well.