1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Ale Apothecary

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Steve_0, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

2. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (700) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Beermongers still has a small amount of Sahalie last time I checked. At >$20 / bottle and so many other releases recently it's moving slowly. I believe the brewer is coming for a meet-the-brewer next week, so there might be more bottles available then.

Generally, though, I think their production is very small and I don't know how frequently it will be available without visiting the brewery in person.

3. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

I referred the OP to this forum. He's interested in the Apothecary brews and possibly setting up a trade or arrangement. If any of you PDX or bend guys have access, hit him up. I hear it's an interesting brewery. Let's spread the Oregon wealth.

In addition, OP, please keep me posted through BM if you get something put together. If I can manage to get some bottles and you haven't, I'd be more than happy to help. It's just a bit out of my way to commit.

4. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

I've only had one beer from them, and it was fucking spectacular. If I had regular access to this brewery, I'd give you a bottle, worth every penny for the only bottle that was shared with me by friends.

Good Luck OP

5. I bought a bottle at 16 Tons in Eugene. I wasn't sure on whether to drink sooner or store it for later... thoughts on those who've had Sahalie...

6. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I was not thrilled by Sahalie at all when I tried it. Granted, I've heard he's dialed the beer in since I last had it.

7. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

I think every batch is different, ABV, drinkability and so forth. I'd just open it.

8. Haven't had Sahalie, but I enjoyed La Tache, very unique and tasty beer.

9. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Sahalie was still sitting on the shelf at Belmont Station last week. Also on the menu at Roscoes FYI (know that doesn't really help OP).

10. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

The scoop:

Beermongers currently has bottled batch 1 Sahalie on the shelf, which is in the 8.8% ABV range. On 12/6, we will be putting out bottles of bottled batch 1 TBFKA La Tache for sale as well, which is actually < $20. If all goes well, Paul will be bringing a case of bottled batch 2 Sahalie for sale, which is closer to 11% ABV. He will also be bringing sour wort lemonade to sell (which is a great bourbon cocktail mixer, for those who care!)

Let me know if you have any questions and I can direct them to Paul (the Apothecary)

Jim

11. AleApothecary

AleApothecary Disciple (50) Oregon May 27, 2011

Thanks for everything, Jim! The Sahalie batches that I dropped off with you are actually 10.54% and 10.78%. If you still have some of the July batch, it was 9.8%. Just to be accurate. I'm bottling up (TBFKA) La Tache this week, and should be ready to go by Januarys' end. And it looks like I'd better make some more sour wort lemonade!
    As far as addressing some of the other posts, Sahalie is modeled after Orval as far as the 'when to drink' date. Ever evolving but always tasty. Our Ale Club members generally consume some young and age the same batch to consume later. It's a good way to experience the living beer. The beer is bottled from the barrels still. Brettanomyces yeasts and (lately) agave nectar are added to produce around 5 volumes of CO2. The yeasts and bacteria in the bottle continue to mature and develop the beer if aged in appropriate conditions (55 degrees, dark environ). As far as how hard it is to obtain, let's just say that my goal is to produce 500 cases (12 750 ml champagne bottles per) this year. Approximately 200 cases would be Sahalie, 150-200 cases of (TBFKA) La Tache, and the rest made up of single barrel specialty batch vintage brews, made available mainly to our Ale Club members. More info on the brewery can be found in the following places:
    YouTube: Promotional video made right after I started brewing...
    Web: Splash page outlining our Ale Club. Actual web page is in development currently.
    Facebook: The Ale Apothecary. If you're into this kind of thing.
    Blog: Wordy musings on the ebb and flow of how things work at the Apothecary.

Please get in touch with me directly though these outlets if you have specific questions regarding our beer and brewery...it's quite a bit different than many out there and I welcome the opportunity to share it with you.

Paul

12. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

finally.. good resource of info, Paul!