1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The all encompassing New Haven B.A. thread

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by cruzmissile72, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm new in the New Haven area and have been impressed mightily by how great the beer is around town. I thought I'd make a thread for all things New Haven Beer so I/we can post things that come up for local advocates. So if there is something exceptional on tap, in a bottle, growler, etc please let me/us know. A surprise release? A sweet score at the local bottle shop? A beer tasting? A general meeting of the minds and pallets? Put it in the thread. :)

Is this board moderated? Would a thread like this need a "sticky"?
  2. I like this idea, we had a megathread for Syracuse when I lived up there and it worked out really nicely.

To contribute, Founders Breakfast Stout hit the shelves at Amity yesterday and I have yet to see any kegs of NEBC Coriolis hit any bars.
    cruzmissile72 likes this.
  3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Cool idea!
  4. Coriolis wason last weekend at My Place in Newtown.
  5. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

Prime 16 just posted on twitter that they tapped some Coriolis....
  6. Ha, yeah, I saw that about 10 minutes after I posted that. Hopefully Delaney's will have it this weekend, I don't like going to Prime 16
  7. I like both, but prefer Delaney's as well.

That said, Cask (which I like the least) is having a cool Ithaca event monday.
  8. I haven't been to Prime 16 enough to really judge it on any basis other than "parking downtown is a pain in the ass" and "they don't have enough bar space."

Delaney's is within walking distance of me, though, so I'm biased.
  9. TO be fair, Delaney's has a VERY small, albeit free, parking lot that is a pain in the ass too...
  10. Yeah but in my experience parking on Fountain street or even somewhere on Whalley isn't usually hard to find
    smutty33 likes this.
  11. RMoeNay

To throw my two cents in I am not the biggest fan of Delaney's, but like both Prime 16 and Cask (Cask only for lunch or just sitting at the bar for a drink). To each their own.
  12. alexgash

alexgash Advocate (580) Connecticut Jun 18, 2003

Mikro had Coriolis on tap last Thursday, and it was delicious!
  13. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

So yeah, Delaney's just put up their current taplist and Coriolis is now on.
  14. I hope I can jump on some of the Founder's B-fast Stout. Sounds yummy.
  15. RMoeNay

Since you live in Branford check out Coastal Wine and Spirits this afternoon, should be available (at least that's what I was told yesterday when I was there)
  16. Tons of parking in the lot behind New West Cafe/ Lena's across the street just enter via the driveway between Chen's Kitchen Chinese and the Boutique/computer shop building. The public lot a block north with the meters is okay too. I'm not sure how strictly they enforce those these days and I have known people to get ticketed there but I believe its been mostly during the day. Never park at the Webster Bank
  17. I picked up a 4 pack of the Founder's B-fast Stout. Wow. There is a lot going on there...great beer. There were only two four packs left after I bought mine today at 5 p.m. They should be getting more in a couple of weeks.
  18. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

Nothing like going to see Rob and the guys at NEBCO. Their stuff is so top notch. I do like Amity Wines and Spirits for craft beer--great selection. If you see something from Relic there, I would get it. Great new craft brewer from Plainville!
  19. I've had one beer from Relic so far and it was in the early stages of infection (or at the very least extremely over-carbonated). Not a good start
  20. Ithaca even at Cask tonight. I'm going if anyone wants to meet up for a pint.
  21. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

I'll be working downtown, but may stop by for a break. Doesn't start until 8 though?

White Gold is one of my favorite beers. Any word if bottles will be making their way back to CT at some point?
  22. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

They have Coriolis on tap too, although you will have a hard time convincing me it is not mislabled Gandhi Bot.
  23. Does anyone know if they are having New Haven Craft Beer Week again this year. I am pretty sure it was this or next week last year but I havent heard a thing about it.
  24. It's at Delaney's too, apparently. NO longer on at My Place in Newtown, as I personally drank the last of the keg on Saturday afternoon.
  25. I drive right past Delaney’s to go to Prime16 (Parking lot directly across the street). I hate the guess what we have on tap BS. Make a Dam beer list will ya. I’ll spend my funds elsewhere if I have to drive 20 miles for a good draft and then have to guess what they have on tap.

At prime on tap now
    Southern Tier Mokah
    Lagunitas Lucky 13
    Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
    New England Brewing Coriolis - ALSO AT MIKRO (Compared to the other beer bars IMO Mikro has the best food hands down)
  26. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Delaney's publish a draft list on a weekly basis on their Facebook page.
  27. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I was told by the fine gents at NEBCo. last friday that unfortunately there will not be a 2nd annual New Haven craft beer week.The vibe I got was that some that were involved last year were not fully commited for this year.Whats up with that??

Bummer

Cheers
  28. While I like Delaney's quite a bit, I certainly agree with this.

And the occasional Facebook update is not enough IMO. Same goes for Cask as well, really.
  29. That is really crappy news. I'm sorry to hear that.
  30. That is a shame. I had a blast at the NEBCO event last year.
  31. They do update their facebook once a week with the taplist, but I agree that that isn't really enough. Also, they sometimes go for months without remembering to post it to facebook/twitter. They didn't update it once from late june to august.

At the same time, I'm grateful they do it at all.
    smutty33 likes this.
  32. I can say I personally couldn't be as involved with Greater New Haven Craft Beer Week this year due to getting married and starting a family. It takes many months of planning to pull this kind of thing off and I know most of us are busy with our professional responsibilities as well.

With that said, I hope we can get things back on track for another week next year and expand from where it started.

Cheers,
    Larry
    Prime 16
  33. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Week of September 24th. BCBS hitting CT.

:D
    Pete27lax, NiceFly and smutty33 like this.
  34. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Saaaaaaaweeeeeeeet !.................:p

Cheers
  35. Excuse my ignorance...what is BCBS?
  36. RMoeNay

37. In my experience, it's more important to love Bourbon with this beer
  38. RMoeNay

Via NEBCo's Facebook "This just in. The Premeditated Murder barley wine was just tasted. Pretty dang good, so far. Looking to get it outta here in mid-October." I for one can not wait to try it.
  39. Saw that. Getting excited.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.