1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The all encompassing New Haven B.A. thread

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by cruzmissile72, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpww7

tpww7 Aficionado (180) Connecticut Jun 26, 2007

We will be having an event this Tuesday Night at 8 at Prime 16 featuring Allagash with treats such as Confluence, Bourbon Black, Fluxus 2012 and Smoke & Beards (Collaboration W/De Molen) Hope to see some of you guys there.

2. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (515) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

Any news on the Galaxy Pale ale release at NEBCo?

3. So Amityville has some Rogue Voodoo donut and for the uninitiated, it's widely reviled by everyone - definitely a beer to avoid. Don't be pulled in by it's interesting label or concept. I have seen dozens and dozens of people's reactions to this beer, and none of them have been even remotely favorable.

4. Has anyone tried the SBC pub on Hwy 1 in Branford? I've driven by it a couple times but know nothing about it.

5. RMoeNay

Place is ok, brew their own beer. Beer is subpar, food is decent. If you have kids, good place out on the patio.

cruzmissile72 likes this.
  6. Galaxy will be available Wednesday

davey101 and sandman3479 like this.
  7. RMoeNay

Awesome I love that beer!!

8. If the beer is subpar, I'll skip it. Thanks for the heads up. I guess that's why no one mentioned it before. :)

9. Yeah, none of the SBC places are worth going to for the beer. Nor, frankly, is BAR. The closest good brewpub is probably Willimantic.

10. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aficionado (245) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

The pizza is excellent enough at Bar that their "ok" brewpub offerings do fine. Modern will always have some NEBCO on tap though and has a notch better pizza.

woosterbill likes this.
  11. Is there a good place in New Haven to get some good beer glasses?

12. You can get branded pints and tulips at NEBCO, and thrift stores are always an option if you care more about shape than logo.

13. I managed to find a nice snifter and another glass at a thrift store. The branding is unimportant to me so I'll probably keep looking at other stores. I'd like a couple of nice pint glasses, a mug, and perhaps a goblet for when I splurge on Chimay Blue.

14. Maltose Express up in Monroe has a decent selection of glasses, from what I've noticed. It's fairly far away from New Haven though, so I'm not sure it's worth the trip if you aren't a home brewer

15. Apparently there is a Sierra Nevada night at Delaney's this Thursday. 20 SN beers on tap. If the list is good, I will probably pop down.

16. RMoeNay

Any idea of what's going to be on tap?

17. Nope. I plan on calling them that day to find out.

They have had SN nights before with some pretty tasty/rare stuff...

18. I just picked up a four pack of NEBCO Gandhi-bot at the place by BigY in Branford. As soon as it gets cold enough I'm going to give it a whirl. IT seems to be universally loved around here so I am looking forward to it.

19. RMoeNay

Not too sure how fresh that's going to be. Next fresh batch comes out in October I believe. Either way enjoy its a great beer.

20. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Agreed. I bought two bottles that were sour. It was slightly sour, probably a yeast issue.

Very very excited to try this new nebco brew this weekend

21. enjoy - just as someone noted, it hasn't been brewed for a while, so that 4pk's likely not too fresh. still damn good after a few months IMO, but do yourself a favor and get some of the next batch when it comes out... it is a legitimate missile to the head fresh. phenomenal beer.

22. Well the Gandhi-bot was delicious. Piney notes with a nice bitter after taste. I see something that looks like a date on the can without a year though 0818A2BE. Is that the date? OR perhaps a best by date? Either way, it was super good.

23. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I love this beer ;) Been through four bottle now, I'd grab a case if it weren't so damn pricey.

24. NEBCO dates their cases, not the cans. The last batch of Gandhi-Bot came out back in July I believe - maybe even June.

25. I wanna say the 1st week or 2 of July.

26. I'm kicking around the idea of going on Saturday if anyone wants to potentially meet up down there for some IP trades or some bottle sharin'

27. Has anyone been to NEBCo recently? Is the Galaxy pale flowing yet?

28. kozaka

kozaka Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 25, 2006

Called yesterday, think it was James who said "hopefully" on Friday.

phorestfreak and smutty33 like this.
  29. Ah, lame, I was hoping to get some today

30. Called about an hour ago. Only things that really stuck out were Bigfoot and 3 of the 4 30th anniverasry beers.

Prob won't be going.

31. Just talked to Rob. Said Galaxy will def be on Saturday.

kozaka likes this.
  32. tpww7

Still no list for what's on at Delaneys for Sierra tonight? Can't seem to find anywhere.

33. RMoeNay

Going to have to call like sandman did I guess.

sandman3479 likes this.
  34. Do any of you homebrew? I think I'd like to try it some more but I learn best by watching, listening to someone who knows what to do rather than by reading a book. Anybody want an apprentice? :)

35. RMoeNay

Prime 16 just tweeted that they tapped a keg of FBS....

36. Saw that on Facebook too

37. I just saw some Untappd check ins at NEBCo. and Galaxy Pale is flowing

38. tpww7

Along with the FBS also newly tapped earlier today is a keg of Tilquin Gueuze that you'll likely never see again here. Be on the lookout for a new beer from the B United Zymatore series any day now as well.

39. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Anyone know if its still on tap/when their barley wine is getting tapped? I might head down Wednesday to grab a growler.

The label was up on beerpulse four days ago
    [​IMG]

Pete27lax, woosterbill and smutty33 like this.
  40. Barley wine is still in the tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.