The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project - Poll #17- Last Flavor/Aroma Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 9, 2013.

?

Which (if any) of Chinook & Nugget should join Simcoe/Centennial/Cascade as Flavor/Aroma Hops?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2013.
  1. Chinook

29.5%
  2. Nugget

9.1%
  3. Chinook & Nugget

1.1%
  4. Neither of These

60.2%
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (775) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

We have determined that Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade are in as flavor/aroma hops. Now we'll determine what combination (if any) of the #5, and #6 vote getters also gets in. This poll offers any and all combinations of Chinook and/or Nugget (or none). These were the long shot hops. But they may or may not look like attractive additions in the current context. Because they were the long shots, a choice (other than 'neither of these') will require a super majority of 60%. A vote for "Chinook and Nugget" will not get combined with votes for either Chinook or Nugget. It has to be a discrete choice getting 60%. It think it needs to be an overwhelming mandate for either/both of these to get in, particulary since CTZ (a higher vote getter) did not.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you don't know what this thread is about, please see this thread...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please Beer Mail me.
    Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand (not about how you would have asked the question differently). I will not address methodology questions in the forum any more. I'm not going to risk having a thread deleted due to a flame war. If this irks you, please consider not playing.

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Recipe so far...
    5 Gallons
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt (92%)
    Crystal 40 (5%)
    Carapils (3%)

Bittering Hop:
    High Alpha, Low Cohumulone Bittering Hop, TBD

Flavor/Aroma Hops:
    Simcoe
    Centennial
    Cascade
    Possibly Others, TBD

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

2. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (365) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I love Chinook, always have. Some folks say its catty or harsh. I disagree. I make an all chinook IPA quite often and its damn tasty.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  3. I also love Chinook but with the others my vote is none. Simplicity can be very under rated.

4. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (465) Utah May 2, 2006

+1 Erik...

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  5. JayS2629

JayS2629 Savant (460) Alabama Oct 23, 2010

Magnum (60), Citra (30), Amarillo (15), Simcoe (10), Simcoe (dry hop)

6. VikeMan

7. JayS2629

JayS2629 Savant (460) Alabama Oct 23, 2010

Rcommendation

8. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (320) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

I vote for Nugget, it has less cohumulone than Chinook and less alpha-beta acid ratio.I like its mild herbal aroma. Also , if you want to age this beer ,Nugget has better storage performance than Chinook.

9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Recommendations went out the window with a vote. Atleast you got the Simcoe right.

NiceFly and jlpred55 like this.
  10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Oh, and voted Chinook. I think it pairs well, and I happen to have slightly less of a pound left from brewing last night. ;)

11. Couldn't agree more! It would be easy to go overboard and end up with a muddled flavor/aroma profile, so "neither of these" gets my vote.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  12. SABERG

SABERG Advocate (610) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

agreed, simplicity.
    Thanks Vikeman I have really enjoyed the project to date

13. VikeMan

Looks like neither long shot will be added.