1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project - Poll #18- Specific Bittering Hop

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Select a Specific Bittering Hop

Poll closed Feb 13, 2013.
  1. Apollo

3.2%
  2. Centennial

8.8%
  3. Hallertau Merkur

0.8%
  4. Horizon

1.6%
  5. Magnum

35.2%
  6. Mosaic

0.8%
  7. Nelson Sauvin

0.8%
  8. Nugget

11.2%
  9. Simcoe

7.2%
  10. Warrior

30.4%
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

We have determined that Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade are the flavor/aroma hops. Now we'll determine what specific hop to use for bittering. Per Poll #14, the bittering hop will have a high alpha acid percentage, low cohumulone, and does not necessarily have to be American. Drawing the line at 9% AA's (on the low end) and 30% cohumulone (on the high end) yields ten varieties that seem to be generally available right now. You may not normally think of some of them as bittering hops, yet they meet the criteria. Since the poll format allows for a maximum of ten choices, this can and will be decided in one poll. Since these choices are subjective and basically non-numeric, straight plurality will win this one. If you fear a split vote between two similar hops that you like, jump on a bandwagon and tell your friends.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you don't know what this thread is about, please see this thread...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please Beer Mail me.
    Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand (not about how you would have asked the question differently). I will not address methodology questions in the forum any more. I'm not going to risk having a thread deleted due to a flame war. If this irks you, please consider not playing.

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Recipe so far...
    5 Gallons
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt (92%)
    Crystal 40 (5%)
    Carapils (3%)

Bittering Hop:
    High Alpha, Low Cohumulone Bittering Hop, TBD

Flavor/Aroma Hops:
    Simcoe
    Centennial
    Cascade

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05
  2. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I'm voting nugget simply because I'm sitting on a pound that I really have no other use for. I'll be bittering all of my beers with it until it's gone.
  3. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Apollo. Its so potent that even using as a FWH addition you get some dank flavor from it.
  4. Crap. Tried to pick warrior, but the ol' finger slipped and I didn't catch it. Hopefully this can be updated for the final numbers.
  5. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (280) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

My first post on this thread. Looking forward to the results. Thanks to Vikeman for all the work he's been putting in for this.
  6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Magnum.

Clean, and bitter. Oh, and I have that on hand anyways; so that helps.
  7. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

HAHAHAHA same here, just got a pound in. Even if it loses, I'm still going to make an IPA with it (and cascade, willamette) soon!
  8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Well, atleast I know I have all the hops on hand in leaf and pellet form that are 'Averagely American'...
  9. AlCaponeJunior

Hey Vikeman, when's the averagely perfect American Stout thread series coming out? :eek:
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Mag-num! Mag-num! Mag-num!
  11. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (290) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

Magnum is like Warrior's ugly, red-headed step-sister, and lower in aa%. Go Warrior.
    brewsader and NiceFly like this.
  12. wspscott

wspscott Savant (490) Kentucky May 25, 2006

I started to say Magnum, but went with Centennial since I already have that in the freezer (and it is already being used in the recipe, why bother with another hop?)
    MrOH likes this.
  13. AlCaponeJunior

USA! USA! USA!
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

That requires me going shopping. ;)
  15. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (290) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

Then it's a good thing this IPA Project is based on the best option that makes the most sense -:snark:- ...as opposed to convenience. Even so, it appears Magnum is winning the races.
    cmac1705 likes this.
  16. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

Could not agree more. It's pretty inappropriate to just vote for what you have in stock. Isn't this about designing your ideal IPA?
    NiceFly likes this.
  17. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Magnum or Warrior? Here's your chance to sway my vote. I had originally thought this should be Magnum, but I have never used Warrior. Can anyone in the Warrior camp offer me reasons to vote Warrior? Anyone in the Magnum camp want to make a case for maintaining my allegiances?
  18. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Clean as a (insert really clean thing here) bitterness and really high alpha, so it is economical as well.
    edit: I am an idioto_O , those are my thoughts on Warrior.
  19. AlCaponeJunior

I honestly can't say that I know the dif between magnum and warrior, other than the obvious specifications I can look up online. I highly doubt I could tell one from the other in a beer unless maybe it was a smash/simple beer that was heavily hopped and you told me which was which in advance.
  20. If I ever get around to brewing this, I will be using my bittering hop of choice. Unwilling to pay non-bulk prices for a bittering hop.
    MrOH likes this.
  21. Peter,

I have used Warrior as a bittering hop to make IPAs. I have also used Magnum as a bittering hop to make IPAs, I have used Chinook hops as a bittering hop to make IPAs. I have used Centennial hops as bittering hops to make IPAs. I have used …..

All that I have every tasted in my IPAs have been the flavors contributed by my flavor/aroma hops.

Cheers!

Jack
    MrOH likes this.
  22. pweis909

23. AlCaponeJunior

My magnum hops say USA! :cool:
  24. barfdiggs

Magnum hops were originally bred in Germany.
  25. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (450) Missouri May 9, 2004

I voted Warrior. It's high AA%, low co-hume, and a more pleasant taste and aroma to my palate. Granted, Magnum is almost its equal in terms of AA% and low co-humulone, but I find Warrior to be ever so slightly "nicer", so it got my vote.
  26. AlCaponeJunior

pweis909 likes this.
  27. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Top 10 Reasons Why Warrior is More Better than Magnum

- Warrior has slightly lower Cohumulone than Magnum (22 - 26 v. 25 - 30)
    - Bittering with Warrior is a steel-cage grudge match against cloying malty sweetness and Magnum simply rhymes with sphagnum.
    - Warrior invokes futuristic imagery of Klingons. Magnum conjures up an old b/w picture of a large dusty wine bottle holding about 1.5 liters.
    - Warrior has seven letters. Magnum a mere six. QED?
    - Warrior and Magnum should never be used together in a wort b/c they will turn quickly into a 6.5 mm caliber intermediate cartridge developed specifically for long-range Benchrest shooting and hunting in AR-15 platform with a flatter trajectory retaining greater terminal energy at extended ranges than other AR-15 cartridges b/c of its higher ballistic coefficient and diacetyl.
  28. pweis909

Wow. Those were 10 of the best 5 reasons I've ever heard. By the way, I happen to like Sphagnum. Spent a chunk of my life devoted to it. You convince me to vote for Magnum.
    HerbMeowing and RichardMNixon like this.
  29. AlCaponeJunior

Running close but magnum's in the lead... :cool:
  30. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Who's the joker voting for Nelson bittering?
    I mean, if you hate em that much, give them to Goodwill.
    Or some neighborhood kids.
    The church?
    pweis909 likes this.
  31. barfdiggs

Wasn't me, but they are good, clean bittering hops (low cohumulone, ~22-24%, similar to Warrior in terms of non-lingering, clean bitterness), however they're pungent/flavorful enough that even if used early on in the boil, you'll still get some character (I get this with Apollo hops as well). Full disclosure, I bought 4 lbs of them, so have been using them lavishly throughout the boil.
  32. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Fair enough.
    I suppose I can understand experimenting.
    But to me it's like cooking a well done ribeye: you still get SOME character out of it, but why not just go for a hamburger? Topped with Magnum. ;)
  33. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Bitterness is as bitterness does.

I plan to brew this beer, but will not put much stock into what bittering hop is used. I myself cannot pick out different bittering hops in an IPA. I might be able to pick some small nuances in another style without a good amount of bitterness coming from flavor and aroma additions as well, but not in an IPA.

I picked Centennial, because I have a pound on hand.
  34. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Magnum it is.
  35. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010