1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project - Poll #24- 10 minute hop quantities

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 23, 2013.

?

Choose ONE Quantity for EACH of the three Hops in the 10 Minute Addition

Poll closed Feb 25, 2013.
  1. Simcoe - 0.25 Ounces

32.6%
  2. Simcoe - 0.5 Ounces

42.7%
  3. Simcoe - 1 Ounce

22.5%
  4. Centennial - 0.25 Ounces

29.2%
  5. Centennial - 0.5 Ounces

42.7%
  6. Centennial - 1 Ounce

22.5%
  7. Cascade - 0.25 Ounces

34.8%
  8. Cascade - 0.5 Ounces

44.9%
  9. Cascade - 1 Ounce

14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

We have determined that Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade will all be used for the 10 minute addition. (Deja vu.) Now we'll determine how much of each. In this poll you should click on three checkboxes. One choice for each hop variety. Do not click on more than one choice for each hop. If you want an amount that's not listed for a particular hop, write it in, and don't click a checkbox for that particular hop. Write-ins need to be clear... if I can't understand what you're saying, or if it's not clear that it's a write-in, it will get ignored. I will be computing weighted averages based on the voting, and then rounding to the nearest quarter of an ounce for each hop. I recommend voting in the context of the already determined fact that this addition is one of five flavor/aroma additions.

For those looking ahead, the next polls will determine the 5 minute addition.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you don't know what this thread is about, please see this thread...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please Beer Mail me.
    Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand (not about how you would have asked the question differently). I will not address methodology questions in the forum any more. I'm not going to risk having a thread deleted due to a flame war. If this irks you, please consider not playing.

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Recipe so far...
    5 Gallons
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt (92%)
    Crystal 40 (5%)
    Carapils (3%)

Bittering Hop:
    Magnum

Flavor/Aroma Hops:
    Simcoe
    Centennial
    Cascade

Flavor/Aroma Hop Schedule:
    15 minutes - Simcoe 0.5 oz, Centennial 0.5 oz, Cascade 0.5 oz
    10 minutes - Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Qtys TBD
    5 minutes
    FO/Whirlpool/Stand
    Dry Hop

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Heavier on the Centenial for me on this one. After thinking about this, I think I went too heavy, I think building recipes like this is starting to confuse me.

3. Close one. Thanks.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

all small

5. wspscott

wspscott Advocate (600) Kentucky May 25, 2006

I went with .5oz for each again. I am curious why so many people seem to be going lighter on this addition vs. the 15 minute one. If anything, I would expect to go heavier with the later additions because you don't have the IBU "problem".

Is this just adjusting to what has already been decided? If you were designing from scratch would you go lighter on the later additions? What are you going to do if this addition ends up being .5oz for each?

6. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

I voted for an ounce total last time, an ounce total this time. Next additions I will vote bigger. Whatever the results, it'll be tasty anyway, even if I don't get my way. :rolleyes:

7. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I went with .25 for all 3 so I could go bigger at the end.

8. It is a weighted average so you could vote for 10 (or even 100!) oz additions and skew the results :p

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm going small again. The 5 and 0 will be larger though. How long is our hopstand? That influences my hop voting right now actually now that I am thinking about it?

10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (715) New York Dec 2, 2009

so few choosing 1oz simcoe. shit, i'd just do 3oz simcoe.

gdkersey likes this.
  11. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (410) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

64 IBU's? This recipe is going to have .25 oz of bittering hops.

12. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (475) Utah May 2, 2006

VikeMan, I know its too late for this poll, but by not having 0 oz as an option, it seems to me that the results are biased against those who would not use a particular hop for a given addition. That is, abstaining from a given hop (which is what one has to do if one doesn't want to use a particular hop), is not the same as being able to vote for zero oz of a particular hop. Just some food for thought.

13. VikeMan

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...roject-poll-23-10-minute-hop-variety-s.70486/

14. wspscott

wspscott Advocate (600) Kentucky May 25, 2006

That ship sailed on the last poll. We voted for all 3 for the 10 minute addition. And it looks like you voted for all 3 for this addition.

15. crawfman

crawfman Disciple (70) Missouri Feb 27, 2012

If it's worth doing, then it's worth over doing! Throw them all in!

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  16. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (475) Utah May 2, 2006

Ah, yes. Slipped my mind. I remembered that we voted for these three late addition hops. I forgot that we voted specifically with regards to each addition.

17. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Should I be thinking of this as a 5 gallon batch or a 6 gallon batch?

18. With this many hops? 8 gallons pre-boil, 5.5 gallons into fermenter I'd say... Lots of trub loss here.

19. VikeMan

The basic recipe will be for 5 gallons of wort (and no kettle trub) into the fermenter. I'll be arbitrarily applying my own hop wort absorption numbers, which will drive some amount of extra water requirement, and will also affect IBUs. Folks who know their systems to be different can tweak as necessary. All that will be stated in the recipe, to avoid confusion.

pweis909 likes this.
  20. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (420) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

You can't mix matter with anti-matter.

Just sayin'

21. VikeMan

And the answer is, Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade. 0.5 ounces of each.