1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project - Poll #25- 5 minute hop variety(s)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 25, 2013.

?

Choose the Hop Variety(s) for the 5 Minute Addition

Poll closed Feb 27, 2013.
  1. Simcoe

4.9%
  2. Centennial

2.5%
  3. Cascade

9.9%
  4. Simcoe and Centennial

24.7%
  5. Simcoe and Cascade

9.9%
  6. Centennial and Cascade

7.4%
  7. Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade

40.7%
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Now we'll determine which of the flavor/aroma hops will be used in the 5 minute addition. The potential combinations are unique. Straight plurality wins.

For those looking ahead, the next poll will determine quantity(s) of hops for this addition, before moving on to the next addition.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you don't know what this thread is about, please see this thread...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please Beer Mail me.
    Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand (not about how you would have asked the question differently). I will not address methodology questions in the forum any more. I'm not going to risk having a thread deleted due to a flame war. If this irks you, please consider not playing.

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Recipe so far...
    5 Gallons
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt (92%)
    Crystal 40 (5%)
    Carapils (3%)

Bittering Hop:
    Magnum

Flavor/Aroma Hops:
    Simcoe
    Centennial
    Cascade

Flavor/Aroma Hop Schedule:
    15 minutes - Simcoe 0.5 oz, Centennial 0.5 oz, Cascade 0.5 oz
    10 minutes - Simcoe 0.5 oz, Centennial 0.5 oz, Cascade 0.5 oz

5 minutes
    FO/Whirlpool/Stand
    Dry Hop

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

A brief analysis of what we have so far...

As is, and as close as I can tweak my system* to get to the target values...
    • what we already have in centennial, simcoe and cascade is about 41 IBUs. Assuming that the 5 minute addition won't add that many IBUs, it will still probably be about a quarter ounce of magnum at 60. However, using a quarter ounce of magnum right now yields 52.6 IBUs
    • 11 lbs 10 oz 2-row, 10 oz C40, 6 oz carapils is the base malt composition that gets me closest to the agreed on parameters (it's pretty damn close)
    I am somewhat expecting the 5 minute addition to be at least 0.5 oz x 3 varieties, perhaps higher on the weights. I am guessing all three hops will win the day on every addition. If this happens, it should set us very close to the agreed upon parameters. Despite any reservations some might have, I think we're on track with the hops voting to get what we are shooting for!

Very interesting~! I am sure this will wind up being a tasty, somewhat of a hop-bomb APA-IPA! :D

I should get the additional hops I need to brew this in the mail any day now.

Cheers Vikeman!

*obviously it will vary somewhat on each individual's system. I use a 5 gallon mash tun (igloo cooler), and a turkey fryer 7.5 gallon pot, fermenting at 64-66F, efficiency about 67% (the one listed on the top of the design page on beersmith II)

3. AlCaponeJunior

To expand on my analysis just a tad, if we were to put a half ounce each of simcoe, centennial, and cascade at 5 minutes, along with what I already stated above, we'd be at 62.3 IBUs, almost right on target.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Let's gang up on cascade and eliminate it from the remaining additions!

mattbk and samtallica like this.
  5. I'm just going to assume we'll be using a half ounce of each for all hop additions.

6. AlCaponeJunior

Just got my centennial and simcoe in the mail. Plus a pound of citra. :D

7. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Yum!

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'm okay keeping it all out of the boil past the 10 min phase. I WILL want to add it with some Simcoe to the dry hop. Cascade in a dryhop just flat out taste good with other hops.

9. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (290) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

Dryhop = mostly Simcoe.

Who's with me?

10. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I fixed that for you.

Treb0R and mountsnow1010 like this.
  11. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

On it's own, it is nice. With centennial and simcoe, I see it as adding little that is unique and can stand out among the others, and either diluting their impact or adding to vegetal potential.

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Guess that'll be Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade.