1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project - Poll #3 - Basic Grains

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 10, 2013.

?

Select ONE OR MORE Grains/Fermentables

Poll closed Jan 12, 2013.
  1. Generic Two Row or Pale Ale Malt or Pilsner

94.7%
  2. Munich (9-ish SRM)

24.4%
  3. Dark Munich

3.1%
  4. Vienna

7.6%
  5. Victory or Biscuit

11.5%
  6. Rye Malt

8.4%
  7. Carapils

29.0%
  8. Other Crystal Malt(s)

46.6%
  9. Sugar or Honey

23.7%
  10. Other Adjuncts

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Now we'll start selecting the grains/fermentables. This question will be handled a little differently. You can select more than one choice. The # 1 overall choice will be automatically in. Beyond that, any other choices whose numbers IMO distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack will either be in or will get another poll to resolve close calls. So in theory this could end up as a single malt beer. Or not. If Two Row/Pale Ale/Pilsner Malt gets in (and I assume it will) there will also be a short 24 hour poll to pick a specific variety. Ditto for Other Crystal Malts, Sugar/Honey/Other and Victory/Biscuit if/when they are selected.

I recommend you think about this in terms of not only your personal preferences, but also in terms of a 6.5% ABV beer finishing at 1.012 SG. Have fun.

This poll will only be open for 48 hours. Based on the first one, almost all the votes happened in that timeframe.

If you don't know what this thread is about, please see this thread...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please Beer Mail me. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand (not about how you would have asked the question differently). Thanks!

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Recipe so far...
    5 Gallons
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
  2. Honey Malt? :)
    kneary13 and oregone like this.
  3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (545) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I sure do love the layers of 2 row, a handful of Munich and Vienna, and a fistful of crystal in there for some residual sweetness and body.
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. VikeMan

If there's a strong enough write-in campaign.
  5. VikeMan

Oh cool. I didn't realize the multi-select function was going to give results for each choice as a percent of total voters (vice total votes).
  6. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

A bit of roasted barley please.
    ShogoKawada and kjyost like this.
  7. Thanks. Did I miss a poll 2? I know this is the 3 rd installment but the last one was labeled poll 1. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything.
  8. VikeMan

Typo on the last one (final gravity). It was poll #2, but said #1.
  9. Gotcha. Thanks.
  10. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

I've been lucky enough to catch all three polls so far. Cool idea, Vikeman.
  11. Wheat malt and MO (or other high-end 2 row) seem to be notably absent as choices.
    skivtjerry and jpeck13 like this.
  12. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (475) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

+1 for Wheat
  13. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Count me in for wheat
  14. MaineMike

MaineMike Savant (290) Maine Jan 22, 2011

I vote for malted wheat.
  15. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Too bad we cannot vote against a grain type.

And I screwed up my vote. Please add one each to Munich and Sugar, although it looks like the crystal malt vote will beat the Munich as of now.

edit: should have finished this coffee before voting.
  16. ryane

ryane Savant (320) Washington Nov 21, 2007

I look at the results of this poll vs the last one where so many people said how dry they want their beer, and look and see 50% of people want carapils and crystal malts in there?!! and only 20% want sugar in it? something doesnt line up

BTW my vote would be fore a flavorful basemalt ie Marris Otter, Optic, etc, and the using either a starch (tapioca, corn, etc) or corn sugar to thin out the malt a bit
    NiceFly likes this.
  17. 2-row and a little crystal is all you really need.
    utahbeerdude, Drucifer and premierpro like this.
  18. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I use crystal malts in most of my IPA, without the use of sugar. Mash temp is something else to consider here, as I almost always finish between 1.008-1.011.
  19. You can brew a dry beer with crystal malt in it. My house IPA has a pound of crystal 20 in the grain bill and finishes at 1.010.

Hell, the beer Sculpin is based on has a pound of carapils and over a pound of crystal 10 and my clone finished at 1.008.
  20. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

My first thought was there was no Maris Otter or Golden Promise, but then I noticed the first category included Pale Ale malts and that there would be further refinement in a future poll. As for wheat malt, I've added it to some pales and ipas, but IMO it is not a necessity or strong preference. Of course, you may be of a different mind.
    NiceFly likes this.
  21. Nice. My house pale ale is 8lbs 2-row, 1 lb each of vienna and munich, and 0.5lb of C10. Love it.
  22. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

2-row and some crystal malt. Sugar optional but not needed. 1.012 is easily reachable with 2-row and crystal.
  23. Agreed - with the right yeast...
    NiceFly likes this.
  24. Hands22

Hands22 Aficionado (240) Florida Oct 14, 2011

Two row, sugar, and a touch of roasted barley for color. Wouldn't say no to some rye, either :)
  25. And we all know what yeast to use when making an American IPA.
    NiceFly likes this.
  26. timjr2500

timjr2500 Aficionado (145) Texas Jul 15, 2012

A good, light, crispy APA is simply pale malt, dextrose, and maybe a little crystal, mashed at a very low temp (143-145) for a long time 90+ minutes.
  27. timjr2500

timjr2500 Aficionado (145) Texas Jul 15, 2012

Califoria Ale Yeast all the way!
  28. Yup - WY1098 / WLP007 - Whitbread English Ale like Surly uses in Furious & Abrasive!
    OddNotion likes this.
  29. There is a very nice IPA I made with rice.

Then there is the one I recently made with 6 row, flaked corn, and a little crystal malt. This one was a Ballantine IPA clone, a real throw back.
    pweis909 and Naugled like this.
  30. Going with your basic 2-row and a little bit of crystal. I would sub the crystal for a little honey malt if it becomes a choice. I tend to keep the grain bill very simple with IPAs but I know some of you have had good luck with blends of vienna and victory and munich. If the bill ends up being slighlty more complex Im all for it.
  31. I won't argue with you there. Love that strain. Stone uses it (or something very similar) too.
    kjyost likes this.
  32. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

I am going to +1 wheat as well.
  33. *Cough* Golden Promise *Cough*
    oregone, DubbelMan and OddNotion like this.
  34. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I like 2-row 80%, Munich 16%, Crystal 4%
  35. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Honey malt is a must.
    oregone and kjyost like this.
  36. pweis909

I've thought about that Ballantine recipe in Mitch Steel's book.
  37. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Wow, might be a runoff for "other" crystal malt :eek:

I don't think it's the most important parameter*, although I admit that I've put crystal of some form in every IPA I've made so far. Caveat: sample size is fairly small, and I've certainly tasted great IPAs that don't use it. :rolleyes:

*as long as it's not too much of the grain bill, or too dark for the style (i.e. keep it on the lighter side)
  38. I used one that is a little older from my friend Jeff Renner, which you might find on the internets.
  39. pweis909

One of these days I hope to brew a version for the sake of nostalgia. I never had any version of it, but my Dad spoke fondly of it once or twice, when I was a kid, as if that was the best beer he ever had. I never quite understood why he always bought Black Label if Ballantine was the beer he liked. I even remember persuading my Mom to buy him Ballantine once, circa 1975. Only now, decades later, do I realize that the Ballantine available in 1975 was probably a shadow of what my Dad tasted in Newark in the 1950s. Seems like a well researched homebrew recipe may be the best way of going back in time and having one with the old man.
    ScrewyBrewer and billlang675 like this.
  40. If this one turns out, I can post it. Still in the maturation phase. These were aged, contrary to the current wisdom. I will dry hop with bullion for 5 gallons, and brewers Gold for 5 gallons.

I had this in 74 or 75, but it probably was on the downside, but there was nothing like it.