1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I have an idea to test the Wisdom of Crowds theory in a recipe development process. This will be a major twist on the usual 'critique my recipe' post, because no recipe exists at the beginning, but there will be one at the end, based on quantitative user input.

At each step along the way of recipe development, I will post a poll question, the results of which will decide a recipe parameter(s), ingredient(s), or process. Once a result is locked in, it can't be changed. As the recipe builds, each new question will be considered in the context of the recipe. Everyone will be asked to vote on each new poll based on creating the best possible American IPA, given the decisions that have already been made.

I acknowledge up front that the order I ask the questions will (unintentionally) influence the results, due to the fact that votes will be influenced by the context of the decisions the group has already made. I also acknowledge that I will not be asking any questions potentially leading to a recipe that can't be brewed on my system.

At the end of all this, we'll have a group recipe, which I (at least) will brew. I'm very interested to see if the Wisdom of Crowds will result in something exceptional. Stay tuned.
    Cracker666, Vonerichs, Ejayz and 15 others like this.
  2. Cool idea, I will participate and potentially brew this beer as well. Is there any interest in having a few of us brew the beer around the same date and exchanging between each other as a BA collective recipe?
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

That's way too much crystal. Also, get rid of the 30 minute addition, move it to flameout, and double your dry hops.
    spry, mjryan, MaineMike and 11 others like this.
  4. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Also make sure you are using a SS brew pot and don't cross the streams.

I vote in the affirmative that you begin posting poll questions.
  5. How about the use of Citra for bittering?
    tronester, barfdiggs and leedorham like this.
  6. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

I would also like to brew the result.
  7. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

I might well brew this one too, depending on how the recipe looks. Always looking for a good IPA recipe :D
  8. I may brew this batch as well. Will be interested in seeing how this plays out
  9. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Ugh... Some of the responses to that are always f*cking ridiculous. That and the whole FWH paper.
  10. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

But what about the Glycosides, bro?
  11. AlCaponeJunior

You could FWH with crystal, bitter with fuggles and hallertau, then late hop with warrior and magnum. :eek:
  12. Sounds like fun.
  13. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I am in.
    This will probably turn into a train wreck, but you can punch my ticket. All Aboard!
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  14. AlCaponeJunior

Most of us have brewed it before then. :rolleyes:
    tngolfer and NiceFly like this.
  15. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Just so everything is metric. :p

Sounds like fun and I'm game.

How will the logistics work out? Will each decision be a new thread? Maybe some of the workings should be off of BA.
  16. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Agreed- I'm in and will brew the recipe- hope it doesn't suck
  17. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

So, where is the first poll? I'm stoked to start!
  18. VikeMan

Yes. Each decsion wil be a new poll, open for 3 days. Long enough for those interested to be able to vote, but short enough to get us on to the next decision.
  19. VikeMan

Later tonight.
  20. AlCaponeJunior

Captain, I cannae hold it any longer! :rolleyes:
  21. don't forget the aglycone for that mmm-good kettle hop flavor : )
  22. Cool, I'm in also.
  23. I'm down to brew it and swap with a few people if they're interested.
  24. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (315) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

25. Mattreinitz

Mattreinitz Zealot (80) New York Mar 1, 2012

I'll brew it too
  26. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Is WoC any different from CW? b/c conventional wisdom so often turns out to be an anything but wisdom.
    If everyone is thinking the same...then everyone is not thinking.

That said...count me in.
  27. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (230) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Brewed this 3 weeks ago. Bottled a week ago and just tried my first one. Wow wow wow..

My buddy thought it was a lil sumpin...

Awesome. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this recipe. Best beer I have brewed!
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Hey Vikeman, isn't it the season for the APA porter/stout?
  29. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (160) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Where is the recipe?
  30. VikeMan

31. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

VikeMan, are we doing this again in 2014, but a different style?
  32. VikeMan

Maybe, if people are up for it. Most of the suggestions I've seen scattered around have been for something in the stout family.
  33. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I think many dark styles could be interesting. If enough people brewed dark milds, that might be fun, but I'm guessing Imperial Stout is the one that would generate the greatest interest.

The easiest dark one would be Averagely Perfect Black IPA -- start with the results of APAIPA and add two questions -- which huskless dark grain and how much? Minimal work for the pollster (who won't be me).
  34. NiceFly

@pweis909 I like the idea of Dark Mild. I would like to brew more of them but I do not know much about the style.

Black IPA:eek:! Holy can of worms, Batman!

Edit: maybe the first poll should be what style to brew?
  35. Count me in for a dark (or light) style! Dark mild would be supreme as I'm likely to brew more milds anyway and am always on the hunt for inspiration. I'm sure and RIS would probably get a little more collective interest, but it's not something I'm interested in right now. And I work in marketing, so brewing is my chance to do what I want - demographics be damned!

Edit: A sub-project of my brewing is to explore the possibilities of American Milds - UK-style mild/session beers brewed with American hops, grains, etc. At any rate, there's at least one very interested party...
  36. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (170) New York Mar 17, 2009

Dark mild is a great style. I have made a few. Good cold weather session beers!

Cheers!
    NiceFly likes this.
  37. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (375) Florida Oct 19, 2012

Now that's a good (democratic) idea . . . what say ye "Man of the Norse Country"?

I personally would like to see a Belgian style, lots of creative potential in a very drinkable beer.
    NiceFly likes this.
  38. VikeMan

That's a good idea. I'll get a pre-poll up today to determine the basic style, followed by one to determine sub-style. Not enough slots in a poll to do it all in one shot. But there are some styles that won't be included, either because they would exclude too may brewers or because they are not really discrete styles (i.e. could be based on any base style). Exclusions will be Lagers/'Hybrids'/Sours/Fruit Beers/Spiced etc./Smoked/Specialty. Stay tuned.
    od_sf, PortLargo and NiceFly like this.
  39. NiceFly

Even a broken clock is right twice a day! Cheers.