1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Belgian IPA: No?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bramsdell, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Some of my favorite beers are belgian IPAs. I love Terrapin Monk's Revenge, GF Le Freak, but there are some other that I've had that I've really disliked. I really disliked Little Sumpin Wild (though I love Sumpin Sumpin), and I was very underwhelmed by Piraat. Anyone else frustrated by this disparate and inconsistent style?
  2. I don't know why Piraat gets labeled as a belgian ipa. There's no hop character to it. I don't know if it comes from the distributor or somebody stateside thought they should call it an IPA because it's too heavy to be comparable to Chimay White as a tripel but it is a tripel.
    gatornation and ABisonEgo like this.
  3. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Some good examples out there like Hoppin Frog Hop Abbey(or whatever the name is) and South Hampton Belgian IPA. There are also many bad ones, the last I tried was heavy Seas' version... horrible.
  4. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

Hit or miss for me too. Luckily though, there's a new one for those of us in/around Spokane, Coeur D'Alene;
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28798/82834
    This is easily my favorite locally brewed beer. Can't wait to see bottles of this start to show up in area stores.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  5. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp is a good one!
    gatornation likes this.
  6. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I have long stayed away from this style, just never had much interest in checking it out and assumed I wouldn't be a fan, but checked out Funkwerks Belgian IPA the other week and thought it was absolutely delicious. That said, it still wasn't enough to get me to want to try more of examples of the style. I am sure I will, just not in any rush.
  7. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Well Piraat was my suggestion... sorry bud, don't know what to tell ya.
    fmccormi likes this.
  8. Ale Asylum's Bedlam is awesome, but exclusive to Wisconsin. It's one of my Top 5 beers.
  9. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

Nope. Not disappointed, nor have I been disappointed in any I have really had. IMO Sumpin WILD is one of my top beers of the entire year. Trying to find more White IPAs as they come available too. Belgian Tripels are my favorite style, and I also love IPAs. Sooooo, its natural that it would meet in the middle as a fantastic style for myself. There are plenty of good ones out of Belgium too. Try Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor, De Ranke XX Bitter, and Poperings Hommel.
    lucas1801 and Gilmango like this.
  10. Just had a Mikkeller Hop Burn High yesterday and it was quite tasty
  11. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Why do you have to like all the beers in a given style? There is variation within the style and you like some and dislike others, there's nothing wrong with that. Anyways, flying dog makes a couple good Belgian IPAs - raging bitch and wildeman.
    superspak and fuzzylogic like this.
  12. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I swear by Troubadour Magma...
  13. I am going to second the Ale Asylum Bedlam Its in my top 5 beers as well, and i am NOT a belgian drinker in general. I am also a fan of Lil Sumpin Wild but not the regular…..
  14. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

Aldebaran and Minx are both fantastic ones.
    Zaphog and MarcatGSB like this.
  15. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'm really interested in what makes a good Belgian IPA, because it seems like there's a handful of substyles: hopped up witbier, hoppy tripel / BSPA, American IPA w/ nominally Belgian-ish yeast, "farmhouse" IPAs, etc. Personally, I think the best examples I've had are more along the hoppy tripel / BSPA line, but I think there's a lot of potential for the "farmhouse" IPA type—just haven't had one yet. For what it's worth, last time I had Piraat I thought it was phenomenal, and I'm really, really looking forward to an upcoming Ommegang special release called Goudenhop:
    [​IMG]
    yamar68 and Gilmango like this.
  16. .... excuse me but why the hell are you all calling any of these beers a belgian "IPA"... it really irks me when people use ipa as a buzz word for having more hops than usual, and it's just so fucking uncreative.
    jmw likes this.
  17. Take it easy, Francis.
    Hanzo, climbeer07, SatlyMalty and 3 others like this.
  18. miketd

Well, Beer Advocate seems to have no problem with the designation.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/174
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Yah I hate Black IPA's. When I order a Black IPA I don't want a porter with a big hop to it I want a big bodied IPA with a hop to it.
  20. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (655) Maine Sep 11, 2010

Sorry, but going by this logic, nothing should be called a black IPA either... It's called and classified as such because the brewery does it
  21. fmccormi

Wait is someone else here named Francis? Irrelevant I know, but it doesn't happen very often—can't help but ask.
  22. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (295) California Jul 17, 2007

Well I hear you and it is a bit like the whole Black IPA thing that also irks folks, but the main reason people use it is that it is a category here on BA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/174 , and it also conveys in a simple way a broad concept: belgian yeast meets lots of hops. I think that the poster before you nailed some of the more widely seen sub-styles.

As a homebrewer who likes Belgian yeast and hop character it is a brewing challenge which I've been fiddling with for the past 6 years or so since I had my first Chouffe Houblon. The great ones are great but often the yeasts and hops can seem to work at cross purposes, or, put another way, the yeast notes are not the sort of clean (ala Chico) ones that let the hops shine through. Still, all that said, many of my best non-sour homebrews of recent years could loosely fit in this style. FWIW I prefer "hoppy saison" or "hoppy Belgian" to BIPA.
  23. Triphopel??
    fmccormi likes this.
  24. you shouldn't call it that.. what exactly makes something an ipa in the first place? Here in Van we call them Cascadian Dark Ales.
  25. I think the problem you might be having is that Belgian IPA is sort of a catch all "style" -like many styles. I lean towards the "hoppy tripel" kind of "Belgian IPA" Le Freak and d'Chouffe's http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/27804 are my faves so far.

(I've started delving into hoppy trips lately.
  26. Green Flash Rayon Vert is really good and could be put in the BIPA box despite a label stating otherwise.
  27. I have no problems with hoppy tripel, that actually makes sense. What i'm saying referencing a style that's already been done to death ( inaccurately i might add) is just plain stupid and unimaginative. A black IPA for example is a new style of beer entirely, why not call it something new instead of piggy backing on something that already exists.
  28. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (655) Maine Sep 11, 2010

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/175. Again, like you said, people choose to call it by different names, but black IPA is synonymous with the style too.

Edit: I didn't create the style, so I honestly couldn't answer your question fully. But for the most part, an IPA is a beer of high (usually between 6-9%) alcoholic content that is preserved with a large amount of hops. Again, just synonymous for that "type" of beer.
  29. miketd

fmccormi likes this.
  30. fmccormi

Well played :)
    miketd likes this.
  31. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Why does no one mention cali-belgique? It tastes great and is actually an ipa with Belgian yeast.
  32. Damn it! I always screw that up! "Lighten up, Francis." That's the line. "Take it easy, Francis" is not correct. Not correct.
    miketd and fmccormi like this.
  33. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I love the style, but I agree there are many different interpretations of the style. To me, there's Lagunitas Sumpin' Wild, Flying Dog Raging Bitch, Columbus Big Frank... and then there's everything else. I like the ones with heavy hop flavor, but just hop bitterness.
  34. Stone's Cali-belgique is great and the price is right
  35. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

I enjoy cali-belgique, sumpin wild, and raging bitch the most out of what I have tried. It's a good style when done right, but there are a lot of duds as it seems tough to get a good balance. Either way while I enjoy a bunch of them I can't really say I like them more then either a regular ipa or a regular belgian style.
  36. Try a Pangalactic Gargleblaster sometime, let me know what you think...
  37. Pipeworks - Glaucus - awesome
  38. I'll throw another vote to d'Achouffe's Houblon Chouffe, definitely my favorite example of the style. De Ranke XX Bitter gets an honorable mention too.
  39. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I meant to say "not just hop bitterness"...