1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Belgian IPA: No?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bramsdell, Oct 5, 2012.

1. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

[​IMG]

My favorite local.
  2. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

It tastes like a belgian strong pale ale to me, would you agree? The Piraat that is.
  3. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

There are some american examples suh as GI Minx that just have way too much cough syrup and spice flavor going on. I think ones like Hopsinjoor are much more enjoyable when there is more sweetness to balance the yeast an hops.
    fmccormi likes this.
  4. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I had Minx recently and I did not particularly dig it (even though my review came out around 3.9, I think). That was the only Belgian IPA I've had that was most reminiscent of a dubbel with a ratcheted-up hop load.
  5. Damasceno

Damasceno Initiate (20) Jun 16, 2012

Urthel Hop-It is a tripel-based belgian IPA from the Netherlands with 9.5% ABV. It happens with european malts & hops – that's something interesting considering the belgian tradition. The hop character should not be too strong as in the american Belgian IPAs, but it may be a really nice try.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I actually liked Little Sumpin' Wild a lot. Hmmm.
  7. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I'm a fan of the Belgian IPA style in general. The ones I've enjoyed the most would be Houblon Chouffe, Hop Ruiter, De Ranke XX Bitter, Hopsinjoor, Le Freak, Sumpin Wild, and Hugh Malone. I probably missed a few, but those are the ones that come to mind.
  8. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I actually really like Belgo from New Belgium.

Nice and dry, excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. Good stuff.
  9. Best I've had was allagash/mbc prince tuesday but its only available in maine and I'm not sure its still around.
  10. I like Sumpin Wild, as well as Sumpin Sumpin. I also like Heavy Seas Dubbel Cannon, but I think maybe freshness plays a big part on this one - I've had it at times and loved it, and had it at times where it was clearly aged and not at all good. It's nothing amazingly good, but I thought it had a good hop presence, as well as a good "Belgian" presence, so it works for me.
  11. i really liked Anchorage Bitter Monk have not seen Batch #2 yet
  12. Mosstrooper

Mosstrooper Savant (415) California Jul 17, 2008

I don't know, I'm kind of a Belgian IPA fanboy. Something about mixing all that hop flavor with the flavor of Belgian yeast just kinda gives me a boner...