1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The best American Sour/Wild Ales?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thevanpelt, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

Hands down, Cascade's Sang Royal is the best sour I've ever had. Sang Noir is a pretty close second though. Tart of Darkness is also really delicious, as is Bell's The Wild One

sacrelicio likes this.
  2. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

I strongly second that

3. Russian River, Cascade, and the few from Upright are my favs.

SecondStage1983 likes this.
  4. Ive been sitting on my bottle of tart for a while. I feel like i need a special occasion to drink it. but nothing feels special enough :(

checktherhyme likes this.
  5. Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge is up there for me. I can't say that I have honestly had very many sours but I have had all of the RR 'tions and enjoyed the Cuvee as much if not more than all of them. Combine that with the fact that it is readily available in many markets makes it a no brainer for me at least.

RobCorriveau and checktherhyme like this.
  6. Auracom

Auracom Savant (300) Illinois Nov 5, 2010

One visit to Cascade's barrel house in Portland firmly put them in my top two, right next to RR.

SecondStage1983 and sacrelicio like this.
  7. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (410) New York Jun 21, 2012

Southampton Black Raspberry Lambic is my personal favorite.

Ithaca Brute
    RR Consecration
    Cascade Sang Noir / Vlad the Imp Aler / Bourbonic Plague

8. Russian River Beatification
    Crooked Stave Persica
    Any Johnathan Wakefield Berliner Weisse

I much prefer Lambic to AWAs, though. I find most AWAs one dimensional, harsh, and/or unbalanced.

9. Hands22

Hands22 Aficionado (240) Florida Oct 14, 2011

Beatification is the closest American wild I've had to a European lambic/gueuze so that gets my vote. The Upland fruit lambics I've been lucky enough to try were amazing, too.

Edit: forgot about Funky Buddha and Wakefield's Berliners. In fact, Florida breweries are getting really good results with that style.

10. sours-
    upland
    cap. lawrence
    jackie o's

wilds-
    crooked stave
    RR

11. Daemose

Daemose Savant (460) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Jester King.

12. Depends on what we're talking about... If we're including lacto-only sours, Funky Buddha's berliners and Night Shift's berliners are probably pretty close to my favorite.

Otherwise, I'm a really, really big fan of the Allagash Coolships and pretty much all of their other sours except Avance. Respect Your Elderberries is probably my favorite US sour ever.

The few Lost Abbey sours I've had have been really good as welll, Veritas 010 was amazing. And the classic RR sours are great. Never had a Beat though.

13. not American...

Smurf2055 likes this.
  14. Brute is easily in my favorite of favorites.

Allagash Peeterman, too.

lovindahops and cfh64 like this.
  15. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

The best and most truly American sours come from the Yakima Nation. NAWA, bro.

I like Cascade pretty good too.

ShogoKawada likes this.
  16. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

The great thing about Tart is you can get another bottle every year. Crack it open already!

17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Tart Lychee was the bomb.

SourAddict and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  18. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Sang Royal was the bomb.

19. Crooked Stave is by far my favorite, with Sentience and L'Brett being scary good.

Next up, for me, would be the Bruery. Tart of Darkness is super sour and super delicious and is in my top 3 beers of all time. Oude is amazing as well.

Cascade Kriek was very solid and RR Consecration never disappoints.

Really want to try some Upright and Allagash

20. Upland!!!!!!!

2010 wyerbacher reserva was off the chizain ISO

MSandahl23 likes this.
  21. The Bruery's Tart of Darkness

22. We don't get too much around the nation here in DFW but I do enjoy several of the New Belgian sour offerings, Jester King's Boxer's Revenge and all of the Russian River beers I've tried. I haven't had too many Crooked Stave beers but I found them interesting although not too high on my list.

23. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

New Belgium La Folie, Weyerbacher Sour Black, and something from New Glarus, I think Raspberry Tart, that I had last year during Milwaukee beer week to start off a flight at Sugar Maple.

24. C'mon.....what about Upland and The Livery? Anyone? Seriously some of the best. JP, RR and all the others noted are fantastic, but I have been impressed with those two breweries more than the ones "known" for their sours...IMO

bookerandy likes this.
  25. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292 Savant (360) California Jan 13, 2011

Crooked Stave Persica and Upland Sour Reserve #2 are two of the best IMO

bookerandy and LupulinDevil like this.
  26. Oude Tart too sour? I think you meant Mother Funker. You can feel the enamel being stripped off your teeth.

27. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'd put in my vote for Deschutte's dissident. I really like Oro de Calabaza and Noel de Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin as well.

I also love Lost Abbey sours, but they are hard to come by most of the time. Red Poppey, Cuvee de thomme, and some of the others are amazing but fetch quite the price.

28. VTMaverick

VTMaverick Zealot (90) Vermont May 2, 2010

I agree with most of these. But no one has mentioned Anchorage Brewing Co.or Cigar City. Best of the north and the best of the south.

29. Jacobins is incredible, but not American. Definitely tops for Flemish reds. As far as American sours go, Cascade, RR, Allagash, Capt Lawrence, Upland and I have to give some love to NC locals- Outer Banks brewing has put out 3 amazing sours and Green Man has blown me away lately with their sour 750 releases. Another up-and-comer is Wicked Weed in Asheville. They are super new (less then 2 weeks old) but are already pumping out wonderful sours. Keep an eye out for these guys.

30. yeah i'll buy jacobins all day all night at the price point.. it's perfect imo

had oude tart for the first time the other night and while not as tart as Tart of Darkeness it's was close.. was tough to drink the full 750ml in one night's sitting by myself.. was a bit too leathery for my liking, not bad but wasn't what i was hoping for.. will let my other bottle age for some time.. TofD is just pow! that makes me do the sour face.. dayum.. like taking all the leftover sour patch kid dust and a lot of it and trying to consume it... super sour that one

31. blafa

blafa Aspirant (25) Denmark Oct 22, 2012

I recently Lady of the woods from Cisco which was amazing, looking forward to trying more of their beers. Other then that Upright fantasia together with RR and Upland are favourites of mine

32. These. Taking Oregon to the next level.

franklinn likes this.
  33. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (595) California Oct 17, 2010

supplication is the best accessible sour imo

all time favotires?

-beatification batch 2 was out of this world good.
    -the wanderer is probably my all time favorite american wild
    -kalinda- a new suprise favorite of mine, shows how well drakes can be. still looking for more, if u have some let me know!

the fruit flavor on Red Molly from the livery was amazingly vibrant, made it pretty fantastic

ChanChan likes this.
  34. You cant tell me what to do, devil woman!

I will. When I purchased it, I lived in an area where Bruery beers weren't available

35. Snyder415

Snyder415 Disciple (55) California Sep 26, 2012

Growing up in Santa Rosa I have to hand it to RR, their sours are tops. I do love me some GI Lolita, Cascade Apricot and any Bruery offerings as well.

36. Anything by Avery. It's hard to get your hands on if you can't make it to the brewery but awesome beers. Anything from Crooked Stave, Bruery, Jolly Pumpkin and obviously RR. New Belgium La Folie is a classic and easier to come by, also reasonably priced.

alexipa likes this.
  37. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (285) New York Feb 15, 2008

beat/brute/supplication are some of my faves - really liked the lips of faith le terrior.

38. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

39. Ithaca White Gold E22 and E33 - Sorry these are RR killers (please flame me, :))

JP Oro Calabaza

ejeffer11 likes this.
  40. New Glarus R&D Sour Ale is pretty intense, but I still enjoy it.