1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Best Beer From Your State or Country?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. visualmartyr

visualmartyr Savant (360) Indiana Oct 22, 2012

my personal fav indiana beer is
    Dreadnaught IPA

so i vote ^^^^
    SDG1070 and deuce9259 like this.
  2. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

New England Brewing: Gandhi Bot
  3. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

came to post this. there's some other really tasty stuff happening in NJ right now, but this is my current benchmark.
    njhopspop likes this.
  4. jpfromb

jpfromb Aficionado (110) Oregon Apr 9, 2010

Oregon
    Logsdon's Peche 'n Brett
    El_Chupahueso likes this.
  5. mecmd

mecmd Advocate (585) Georgia Jan 7, 2012

Georgia
    Terrapin Wake-n-Bake for stouts
    Sweetwater IPA for IPAs
  6. Brewery Ommegang Barrel aged Adoration
  7. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Lunch is a wonderful IPA but the best beer from Maine is Allagash Curieux.
  8. Nebraska Brewing Company: Black Betty RIS
  9. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I see this thread has turned into yet another state-a-state muscle flexing exercise. I chose to read the question a little bit differently, especially since WV has no dog in that fight.

In a heartbeat I'd put North Coast Old Stock on a rocket with some Elvis albums, attempting to put our best foot forward.
  10. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Texas: Live Oak Hefe hands down
  11. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I'm from Indiana. Where do I start!!

Cheers!

Oh, and Michigan is 20 miles away, Illinois is 25 miles away!
    Tough living in the Beer Belt!! :)
    Lordkrystic and Pecan like this.
  12. Its close but I would go with Capital Maibock over CW Muddpuppy porter because I believe that for the style that Capital Maibock is top 5 even though I personally think Muddpuppy porter is a better beer.
  13. MSandahl23

MSandahl23 Advocate (545) Indiana Mar 29, 2012

Indiana - Black Acre's Hop Pun DIPA
  14. JNauser

JNauser Aficionado (120) Missouri Oct 17, 2012

Missouri: Love Child #2
    YogiBeer likes this.
  15. From New Mexico I'd have to go with La Cumbre's Elevated IPA.
  16. I'll get in on this...
    Russian river-blind pig, and Pliny the Elder
    Firestone walker- parabola damn near perfect
    The bruery- tart of darkness
    Fifty fifty- eclipse
    El_Chupahueso likes this.
  17. Ahhh, to be a craft beer lover from Massachusetts. It is a point of pride, for some of us. I would say that everything from Jack's Abby, Pretty Things, and Berkshire is can't-miss. I highly enjoy Harpoon, Ipswich, Sam Adams, Wachusett, Mayflower, Mystic, and the smaller local brewing companies as well. MA = FTW
    beermeright likes this.
  18. I am probably going to get bashed so hard by fellow Wisconsinites, but I'd put up either Ale Asylum Bedlam or Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Yeah, New Glarus makes excellent beer in basically every category, but I view them as more of a classic, style-constrained brewery and a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none brewery, rather than one that excels at any one style or pushes the envelope in any way that catches my attention. It is possible that I take them for granted, considering they were my gateway to craft beer.

My guess is that most Wisconsinites will put up NG Raspberry Tart, Wisconsin Belgian Red, Serendipity, or Enigma (or the hipster choice: R&D Sour Brown).

To quote the Human Torch, "Flame on."
    mecummins likes this.
  19. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Texas here: howdy howdy howdy.

Jester King Craft Brewery - Boxer's Revenge.

It's a wild ale blended after aging in both wine and whiskey barrels. Can there be a better THING?
  20. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (500) California Sep 13, 2009

California: Russian River Pliny The Elder/Younger, of course. Although, anyone who comes to Nor-Cal should visit Russian River Brewery, their Belgians and sours are a must have. Damn I miss that place...
  21. I'm from Australia so for that I would say: Feral - Hop Hog (year round simple IPA but showcases galaxy hops like no other)
    I'm living in Canada and would have to say Driftwood - Satari Harvest
  22. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

I agree. Carton has some great stuff too. I can't wait for them and Kane to start bottling more.
  23. Purely a matter of opinion.I have some beers I really love but which probably wouldn't impress a lot of BAs. And best beer for what? Refreshment on a hot day or sipping in front of a log fire in the winter?
    I sometimes couldn't say which is the best beer in a pub!
    There's vast numbers of good beers around.A lot of great beer.What's best of all is the fact that it's readily available. :)
    Beerista likes this.
  24. I'm having a tough time picking one, but I'm gonna go ahead and say Victory Hopdevil
  25. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

*name one beer you would choose to represent your state*

*well there's
    5.*

:confused: I'm guessing you guys/gals purposely colored outside the lines as kids?
  26. For New York, I'm going to say Ommegang Art of Darkness
  27. rdegroat

rdegroat Zealot (75) New York Sep 19, 2009

28. Australia

My State - Western Australia
    Feral - Water Melon Warhead (Berliner Weisse)

My Country
    Thorogoods - Billy B's Dark Apple Beer (Flanders Old Bruin Syle on Steroids !)
  29. rdegroat

rdegroat Zealot (75) New York Sep 19, 2009

From New York....I'll have another Flower Power. When I'm finished , off to Ommegang for a Hennepin!
  30. Recently had my first Toppling Goliath brew on tap here is La Crosse, WI at a returant called Buzzard Billy's and was blown away! Man they know how to work the hops, I had their Golden Nugget, three times. When they start bottling I hope they make it up my way as they will never be out of my fridge.
    tgchief and Hawkharvs like this.
  31. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I was wondering if someone from TN would chime in. I was thinking a bottle full of tears would be approproate, given the sucking crafthole that is TN.
  32. Yea great call on Allagash, totally forgot about that guy, one of my all time favorites. Based on availability (or lack there of) of lunch, Allagash White would be a better pick for Maine.
  33. North Carolina - I'm waffling between Olde Hickory Event Horizon, and Highland Cold Mountain.

At gunpoint: Event Horizon
  34. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Look for it in bottles beginning mid-January!!!!
    Envelopes and BB1313 like this.
  35. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

PA: Mad Elf
    gkatsoris likes this.
  36. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

This is one of my biggest spelling pet peeves.

The beer is "Gandhi-Bot" not "Ghandi-Bot."

Lemme add that as a CT resident, I would send NEBC Premeditated Murder or NEBC Wet Willy.
  37. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

Victory Headwaters from PA....

Making a trip to Downingtown today to visit the brewery, and will assuredly be having one.

I am also going to stop by media for an iron hill trip and in Ardmore for tired hands. I can't wait for tired hands today!
  38. The best beer I have had from a South African brewery would be Ocean Potion from Triggerfish Brewery - an APA that tastes almost like Zombie Dust.
  39. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I really like the other two posts from CO, but I'd say:

CO - Avery The Reverend
  40. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

I am saddened by the choices made by my fellow NY state BAs....not a single mention of:

Ithaca Le Bleu
    ~or~
    Ithaca Brute (RIP):oops:
    ~or~
    Peekskill Shotgun Willy