1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

The BEST Light beer IS...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (795) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

TheBrewo likes this.
  2. As always with articles/videos like this, the comments provide the best entertainment.

"Uhhhh not bug light at all! Bud in general ranked 316TH!!! of the worlds best beers! hands down the best light beer is michelob ultra! only people who like drinking expensive water or things that taste like #$%$ drink miller, bud, PBR, put some more money on the table and drink real beer like yuengling."

Jenny from the Internet, you slay me. Also ISO this "Bug Light" stuff, sounds tasty.

3. Alextricity

Stupid Jenny.

4. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

A berliner weiss. Marissa Mayer needs to address Yahoo's horrible journalism.

dhannes, joelwlcx and Hugonaut13 like this.
  5. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Zealot (75) Colorado Jul 27, 2013

I know this wasn't a serious inquiry, but Cisco Sankaty Light Lager is actually pretty damn good. I used to drink it all the time during the summer when I lived in Mass.

6. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (635) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Upright Lite

7. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,070) Michigan May 5, 2010

Hottenroth.
    Dupont Avril

8. I don't drink much light beer but I will take a Sam Adams Light if offered and nothing else is available.

9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

That video was painful to watch. I was sipping an chocolate yeti when he said amstel was Hoppy and about started to cry.

10. I'll be honest and say that the best Light Beer is Bud Select 55.

My reasoning being that it's the only commercial beer that's readily available that's 2.5% alcohol. It serves it's purpose very well, it's refreshing, it's 55 calories, it has very little carbs.

Name a different beer I can walk in to the beer store today and purchase that has all of that going on.

Baab200 likes this.
  11. I think the closest most of us on BA get to light beer is some brewery or other's session ale, such as Founders All Day IPA.

12. You're kidding me, right?

13. Where is Guinness in that lineup?

14. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Wachusett Light IPA is actually pretty good.

Andrew041180 and ChrisChagnon like this.
  15. I very seldom drink light beer, and can't say that I've had all that's out there. But, the best one I recall is Sam Adams Light. At least there's a little flavor in that one.

oshkoshthejosh likes this.
  16. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) Minnesota May 30, 2013

Brau Brothers Old 56

17. douginromeo

douginromeo Savant (330) Michigan Apr 1, 2013

New Glarus Thumbprint Berliner Weiss - refreshing and low abv. Trying August Schell's Star of the North Berliner Weiss today - haven't been excited about a 3.5% abv beer in a while!

18. bditty187

bditty187 Champion (780) Nebraska Jul 10, 2002

Point Drop Dead Blonde

19. Might Mann's Brown Ale count? 2.8%, always really cheap and quite tasty.

20. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I kind of like Bud Light Platinum, even though technically it isn't really a light beer.

*prepares for the swarm of beer geeks chasing me out of the forum with Chimay bottle Molotov cocktails*

Roguer, djsmith1174 and Flibber like this.
  21. DougC123

I guess it depends on if you think light refers to alcohol content or calories. Normally they track together, but Platinum seems to have broken the association to a point, 6% and only 137 calories.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  22. Derranged

What's the calorie limit for light beers? I base it on the abv, flavor and mouthfeel I guess. To me its more like a light-ish malt liquor.

23. Asics

Asics Savant (345) Washington Jul 28, 2012

Bud Light Platinum wasn't terrible but my personal guilty favorite would be Coors Light. I have a soft spot for Canadian light lagers though, living on the border had its "perks."

The worst has to be Keystone Light though. I can drink beer flavored water but that junk is just awful.

24. How could he judge those beers without a palate cleanser????????

In all seriousness, Miller High Life is light enough for me.

25. Alextricity

I had a line-up of Labatt, Labatt Light, Miller Lite, and Leinenkugel Summer Shandy on Thursday and, naturally, Labatt was the best.

26. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

If and when I drink BMC I opt for Miller Lite, it won't kill you, and yes its kinda flavorless when ice cold, but for a low ABV brew at the pool it's ok. When your hot and you want to slam one down it works well too. You wont get Cooties drinking one, promise.

wborr82 likes this.
  27. The best one I've ever had was an American premium lager from a tiny little nano-brewery in Brevard, NC called Brevard Brewing Company. Their Pilsener was pretty killer as well.

28. DougC123

Not really sure how that is a light beer. It is 4.9, I'd say it is just beer.

29. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Savant (355) Iowa Apr 25, 2013

I have to interject you said that beer flavored water is junk, then technically you should never have drank coors light because that stuff is water.

30. lovethebelgians

Hands down in my opinion if we're talking light on the ABV it is Yuengling lager. Ice cold, those beers still taste amazing and they won't fill you up. Drank that stuff like water in Delaware when I was in the service.

31. Alextricity

What *IS* light beer? I'd figure about 4.5% or lower. Maybe under 5%? I know a light beer isn't always determined by ABV.

32. bkov33

bkov33 Savant (265) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

yuengling makes a light version also
    [​IMG]

33. Alextricity

That beer would be MUCH too hoppy!

34. The BEST Light beer IS...

...an oxymoron.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  35. Asics

Asics Savant (345) Washington Jul 28, 2012

Like the old saying goes, "it's like sex in a canoe..."

36. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

My homebrew berliner dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin

jwjon1 likes this.
  37. lovethebelgians

haha, I have never heard that saying but I like it

38. Derranged

Last time I had this was about a year ago, holy crap I've never tasted so much corn in a beer before, it tasted like carbonated liquid corn chips. Not undrinkable though.

39. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (715) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Raspberry Tart is like 4% right? Maybe too much other sugars for "light" but I would be happy drinking it all day and calling it a light beer.

40. Monty Python