1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Bruery 12 Days of Chirstmas

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by oldschool9, Dec 2, 2012.

1. oldschool9

oldschool9 Aficionado (220) Ohio Dec 20, 2010

Hello there beer lovers,

I was a little excited today as I picked up two of the Bruery's 5 Golden Rings, starting to feel a little like Chirstmas already for me. I was thinking about opening one up on Chirstmas Eve or on Chirstmas day, and then cellar the other one.

My question is this, if I wanted to obtain the previous four years of the series how hard would it be? I know that the past beers did not get the best reviews, but I would like to really try to obtain them to do a tasting of all twevle 7 years down the road. I was just wondering what it will take to land them? I have access to Three Floyds, Founders, Bells, etc..... since I am only 3 hours away from each. Let me know please if you know what it takes to land these, and if you know possibly anyone that has them and are willing to possible trade.

Thank you for your time and all of the help,

oldschool9

Cheers!

2. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

Partridge in a pear tree isn pretty tough to pull, its one of those first born + beers
    2 turtle doves will probably require some effort as well, maybe vintage darkness, dl etc.
    And the rest shouldnt be tough to pull.

3. Partridge in A Pair Tree is next to impossible to land. That was the first one. You need some heavy ammo to get that. Two Turtle Doves is up next. It is out there but again people are holding on to it. Those people will want more than less to hand it over. The next two should not be that hard to get.

4. The first 2 releases will take a lot.

5. Still kicking myself for not picking up Two Turtle Doves when I had the chance. That thing stayed on shelves FOREVER after it was released. I remember that beer still being around in some stores when they released Three French Hens!

6. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Now I'm curious (and slightly threadjacking), but what is "a lot" for a 2tD?

7. I'm not sure I'd say 'a lot', I have an extra 2TD and I'd be happy to trade it for BCS Cherry for example. I guess that is 'a lot' if you don't have access to Cherry...

RayYanks23 likes this.
  8. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

I'd do the same trade in a second. Just sayin.

RayYanks23 and tbadiuk like this.
  9. 3rdto1st

Although my BA 2TD, that's another story, especially after tasting how it's drinking when I was at the barrel party last week.

10. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Pretty much the exact same boat.

11. are you trying to spell thirstmas?

SpdKilz, forgetfu and oldschool9 like this.
  12. Compton25

Compton25 Savant (335) Texas Jan 25, 2011

How is the BA version right now? I have a few bottles I'm aging, trying to make them last to the end of the series.

13. 3rdto1st

I have 2 of regular and 2 of BA. After tasting it (and I couldnt even describe it, hit up BA user: japancakes for his notes) I want to crack one of my regular since I've never had it. I feel like after doing that I can at least somewhat get a feel of where it was and where it is going. I could see one of your bottles making it to the end and being quite tasty.

Compton25 likes this.
  14. oldschool9

Haha. Thats what you can say I was going for, never thought of that. I spelled Christmas wrong, twice in a row lol.

Anyways I got a trade lined up for years 2, 3, and 4. So, all I need now is the year 1. Its looking like I will have to get some heavier ammo for that tho. Thanks for all the insights.

Anyone try 5 Golden Rings yet? I was considering opening one up here soon to give it a try fresh.

15. 3rdto1st

STOP! It is super hot and weird fresh, give it plenty of time.

16. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

I'm going to try it 5 days from Christmas, as that is when it's supposed to be consumed right? :)

17. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

7 days from Christmas.

MATH!

Knifestyles likes this.
  18. lvoutlawjlh

I suppose it depends which way you go.

19. DanzBorin

Start with 1 and work your way up! :)

20. 4 calling birds is still on the shelf of my local bottle shop, I am sure 5 golden rings is now next to it.

21. lvoutlawjlh

I'll take that bottle. kthxbai

22. If you are seriouseses, bm me.

23. lvoutlawjlh

We both fail.
    "The twelve days in the song are the twelve days starting Christmas Day, or in some traditions, the day after Christmas."
    So I'm waiting to drink mine until Dec 29th!

24. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Aficionado (120) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I have 3 french hens and 4 calling birds I might be willing to part with if the offer is right BM me and maybe we can work something out.

25. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

on a different note, i thought 4 calling birds was horrid fresh. someone brought a bottle to a share recently & it's changed into a whole different beer, excited to see what happens to it in a few more years

26. DanzBorin

lol

and to think I thought I knew what the song meant...

27. DruRho

DruRho Initiate (0) Maryland Sep 3, 2012

I have to say, I just opened a bottle of 4CB a week ago and I thought it was amazing. It was seriously hard to classify - a little boozy, kind of crisp, remarkably bold. Very, very good.

28. oldschool9

Sounds really good. I'm excited to see how all of the line up changes over time. Fingers crossed that I can make it that long. The Stone's VE didn't appeal to me for some reason, but this one surely does.