1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Bruery Announcements/Allocations

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck86

Buck86 Member

That bums me out. If the HS are getting two or more of Confession or Melange 8 the I feel like the RS should at least have an option on 1 or 1 of each. I thought the point was to gain more total allocation not a double secret society (pppppPledge Pin!). Oh well life could be worse, hopefully some of these will turn up at events to try.
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Member

There aren't enough. There are like 150 HS members and over 1000 RS members. HS members would need to be getting 8-10 of something in order to be able to get 1 to RS members.
  3. drgarage

drgarage Member

Also, these were two of the beers guaranteed at two each in the original HS agreement. You might disagree with it, but it isn't news.
    CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
  4. salzar

salzar Member

Actually pretty sure the idea was to make a double secret society, to allow them to make beers that they would not be able to release to the RS. Some of those beers were listed as hoarders exclusive, and were not mentioned in the 2013 RS release list.

Having had M8 at the party this year, I would be butt-hurt if they offered it to the RS instead of allowing HS members get 3 or 4 bottles.
  5. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

These are beers that they're only producing in small batches of 2-3 barrels. 150 - 200 members x 4 bottles = ~ 600-800 bottles only being made. With 1000+ (1150?) RS, you're looking at having to triple batch size just to get 1 of each out to RS.
  6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

7. jp7161

jp7161 Member

I would put money on the fact there are almost exactly 300 HS members
    JustXBeer and usofar like this.
  8. Buck86

Buck86 Member

Haha the HS goons are out in force tonight. You can't win either way. I would be stoked if they made these things available at a party but others would be pissed they can't buy a bottle. If someone gets one or two they are pissed they can't have 3 cases. All jokes aside, you get rewarded for being a long term customer (or high spending, I am not sure how invites got chosen) so as a 1st year member, long time customer I hope to join in at some point. If not I'll start my own brewery... with blackjack... and hookers.

9. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Member

Always gonna have complainers, on either side. But, as stated above - the M8 and Confession were always known to be HS exclusives (the names were just announced).

How would RS members feel if their exclusives went to the general public after forking over cash to join? Probably wouldn't be too happy with it.
    MrFootstones likes this.
  10. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Member

Since Chocolate Rain sales are ending, what happens with that if there are extra bottles that weren't sold/claimed by allocations? Does it become a public release similar to BT where they open it up to all to get more bottles?
  11. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

It goes to the cellar for special events, clusterforks, other tastings, etc.
  12. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Okay, well, everything I've ever heard puts it more like 150, but they seem pretty intent on not releasing numbers.
  13. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

14. GhettoFabulous

GhettoFabulous Member

How many M8s were allocated?

How much you want for it? (c) Sling Blade in response to his first post-jail encounter with french fried potaters
    domtronzero likes this.
  15. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

2 included with membership and the option to buy 2 more. Same with Confession.
  16. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Member

Talked to Pat tonight and mentioned the rapage of the wallet. His response "well, you could NOT order full allocations every time" We had a good laugh at that, but my wallet was crying on the inside.
    mlaroche likes this.
  17. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Member

I have never ordered a full allocation. Who needs that much beer?

Yes, I can't believe I wrote that question.
  18. heatwaves

heatwaves Member

Damn. I knew this was coming. After the first couple months with practically no allocations, now there are many great beers... and all with a price tag to match. Tough to budget this many $20-30 beers. I guess I'll have to hit the tasting room and make some tough decisions. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I am playing the lottery tonight.
  19. DougOLis

DougOLis Member

Not every Riesling is sweet. It's just that's what popular with the general American public so that's what we get sold. The grape and style is far more versatile than that.
    weatherdog and ASUBeer like this.
  20. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Yeah I know, I've had some on the dry side while in Germany. I didn't mean to imply they all were sweet, which is why I said "typically." I confirmed by looking up tasting notes for Fess Parker Riesling which indicated it was sweet. As you stated, most popular Rieslings found in America are the sweet variety, which I really don't think was a good choice for this beer.

Obviously time will tell, and I'll cross my fingers for your Hoarders folk :)
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  21. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

22. claspada

claspada Member

alright I'll be the dumb one to ask, what is Melange 8?
    KevSal likes this.
  23. DougOLis

DougOLis Member

"The eigth in our Mélange series of blended beers - this robust ale is a marriage of our bourbon barrel aged anniversary ale along with White Oak Sap (our bourbon barrel aged wheat wine), along with locally roasted Geisha coffee from our friends at Portola Coffee Lab.

Geisha coffee beans are soft and delicate with quietly complex aromatics. When infused with our blend of oak and bourbon rich ales, the subtlety of the bean really shines, leaving us with a wonderful combination of caramelly sweetness, oaky vanilla and just enough bitterness to bring it all together."
    KevSal likes this.
  24. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Member

Drink a bomber about every night and average around 6-8 on the weekends with friends. It comes and goes fast lol
  25. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Member

Can anyone who tried confession fell me how similar it is to the Vitis Series Oui Oui from the 2012 initiation package? I may begrudgingly be ISO :/.
  26. vacax

vacax Member

Confession is enormously superior to Oui Oui.
  27. abecall98

abecall98 Member

Sounds like I need get my order placed for some Bois soon.

I really wish they would remake White Zin. It was their first sour I tried back about 4 years ago. It was great.
    Beerandraiderfan and KevSal like this.
  28. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Member

Shit.
  29. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Damn, and Oui Oui is a fantastic beer.

Been to a doctor lately? Eeks.
  30. stupac2

stupac2 Member

That's really not a ridiculous amount of beer. Your average Frenchman probably drinks more wine.
  31. moonknight31

moonknight31 Member

yea i would say that i personally go through 10-14 750's per week
  32. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

Rieslings are a highly misunderstood grape in this country. In Germany it is extremely hard to grow grapes which have any decent amount of sugar in them, so the ones that do are highly prized. Because of this, German winemakers often add sugar to increase alcohol content (much like Belgian brewers do), and because Americans like sweet things, it was the low-quality, sugar-added German Rieslings that got popular in the US. The sugar content of Riesling grapes are low to moderate, but because the Germans covet the sugar in the grapes so much, they call the ones with hardly any sugar in them sweet, and the ones with a noticeable amount super-sweet. They also vary their fermentation to balance levels of residual sugar, so you can end up with Riesling made from high quality grapes that are super dry (yet called off-sweet), or sweet dessert wine (but they are highly prized and rare, and have a single digit abv because there wasnt much sugar to start with and they didnt want to ferment it all out).

The Confession label says "sauertrocken" on the bottom, which translates to sour-dry (trocken is the designation for Rieslings which get fermented all the way out and dont have any sugar added, making them bone dry). So hopefully that is a sign that this beer will not fulfill any of your fears.
  33. moonknight31

moonknight31 Member

where can i see the labels for confession and melange 8?
  34. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

Thus far only in the Hoarders email.
  35. moonknight31

moonknight31 Member

did not all of the cr sell out? The reason i ask is i still see it on their even though i thought the allocations ended friday
  36. moonknight31

moonknight31 Member

alright good to know

they didnt release what the variation barrels of bois labels will look like so i assume it will be different wax colors again
  37. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

I imagine it will be much like papier, in that the main difference will be wax color (and the barrel variety wording on the label).
  38. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I added them on Untappd, so you can see them there.
  39. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Member

I am so excited for the Bois variations!

Edited: Yes, I hope that reads as if I were a teenager excited to se N'Sync or some other comparable act.
  40. teamizm

teamizm Member

"bois" variations also sounds a bit creepy. Got a mustache and a white van?
    CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.