1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Bruery Announcements/Allocations

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanx

2. Blacked out windows.

3. I hate to be 'that guy', but I believe its prounced 'bwah'. Figured I'd mention it before I read about the hipster bartenders doing the correcting...:cool:

ridglens, Tenchi221, SUBER and 3 others like this.
  4. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (375) California Oct 20, 2006

now the jokes above make sense. I didnt stop to think that people would pronounce it "boys." damn education.

vurt likes this.
  5. To be honest, I wish it was pronounced 'boys', that way I could post up a pic on facebook in my craft beer group with all 5 variants with the title "My boyz in da house!" :p

6. Beer nerd: "Hey, tonight I'm doing a vertical tasting of queer, fruit, and boys!"
    Non-beer nerd friend: "Dude..."

7. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

I drink 1 bomber a night during the workweek, but they aren't all super high alcohol beers every night.

I also run 4-6 miles every work day, and row on the weekends, you tell me which side of the health spectrum I come out on.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I won't get too deep into this as we're getting crazy OT (I have a tendency to do that) but exercise doesn't help the liver as much as people may think. After exercise, your liver is stressed and creates specific enzymes that are often found elevated in people with liver disease such as hepatitis, fibrosis, cancer, etc. Combine that with binge drinking on the weekends and you may be developing a problem. Only blood tests like cholesterol and chemistry panels will tell you what's going on.

If you want more info, feel free to shoot me a message. And a disclaimer - I drink a lot too, so there's no judgement here. Just more of a PSA to those who think that exercise can totally offset heavy drinking.

KevSal, wagenvolks and pmarlowe like this.
  9. The 'no limit' on Smoking Wood is pretty hilarious. I suspect they'll be similarly generous with BA 5 Golden Rings.

jmgrub likes this.
  10. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I am excited about the Bois variants...but I think I am going to pass on them. I really want to try them before committing $30 a pop. Not saying they are "over priced", just expensive, and it is getting harder and harder to justify spending that much on a single bottle. It would be cool it the Bruery left these beers on tap during the entire time allocation are available. Though if I got to try them all there, I would be able to tick them and not buy bottles, so I understand why that wouldn't work too.

I was a little bummed CR was not on tap this past weekend. I was hoping it would be up since this is the first weekend allocations were available. Does anyone know how long it lasted at in the tap room? No matter what I found plenty to drink.

Got to try Oats McGoats in the tasting room, does anyone know if this is the blueberry sour they are talking about releasing?

11. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

God I hope not. Not with the scores you and UCLAbrew gave it.

Was it on the tap list as a Society exclusive pour or was it for everyone? If it was available to everyone I would say that it is not the blueberry sour they're going to release (as it is supposed to be a society exclusive when it's released). Just speculation though.

12. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

It's not a society exclusive on tap, and I found it underwhelming when I tried it a few weeks ago. Interesting as a novelty of being a 100% oat beer, and not a bad tasting room experiment, but I would definitely pass on any allocations if they offered it for sale.

I actually would like to see more experiments in that direction - fruited beers fermented with Hottenroth cultures - but I don't think they quite hit the mark with Oats McGoats.

domtronzero likes this.
  13. mattolesh

mattolesh Savant (270) California Sep 30, 2007

1) We are going to be serving a flight of the 4 2013 versions and a special old keg pretty soon. We are only using those 1/6 bbl kegs for flights, so they should last pretty long. that's scheduled for May 9, but that's not set in stone.
    1.5) Generally, I'm trying to make every beer available to taste before the sale window closes.

2) The upcoming blueberry sour is our traditional sour blonde w/ blueberries sitting in the barrels right now, Not Oats McGoats.

3) I think we poured through 7 kegs of CR while it was on for member... I'd have liked to kept it on longer, but we only have so much...

Cheers!

14. nanobrew

Thanks for the info. Damn you guys went through a lot of CR!

15. domtronzero

Novice move. I was confusing the New American Oak Bois with the New French Oak Bois, and it says that it is slated for a 4th quarter release.

16. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That's going to be one oaky bitch.

domtronzero likes this.
  17. yea i was just thinking this morning that i thought there was supposed to be a french oak bois too. i wonder why it is coming out so much later then the others

18. stupac2

Maybe it takes longer for the oak to impart flavors. Maybe they want it to be an oaky bitch. We'll see!

claspada and domtronzero like this.
  19. domtronzero

Eloquently stated.

Gonzoillini, mrkrispy and stupac2 like this.
  20. im sure french oak does take longer to impart flavor but i dont know about an additional six months

21. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

It takes longer because it's so much weaker. Because it's French.

Making an oaky bitch out of bitchy oak just takes time.

....'murica.

22. i wonder if the majority of members are going to max out allocations on all 3 variations of the bois

23. stupac2

Seeing as it's only 2/4, I would think most are. I'm really excited about the variants since I loved Fruet and these are all great barrels. I'd be way less excited if one were tequila or red wine or something.

24. Besides, West Coast whalez, brah. people love variants.

Knowing that they'll have a tasting option for all of them, I'm not maxing my allocations out on it. I still have plenty of past anniversary beers. And while they are tasting, the price tag limits the other great beer I can be drinking.

25. Obligatory silly question: which variant of Bois do we receive two bottles of that was included in our membership price?

I assumed it was Bois (Bourbon) since its the "regular" anniversary now that they're bourbon-ing the anniversaries going forward but is it the Bois (French Oak), which I thought was only a special release at end of year?

26. I don't think we get bottles of Bois with the membership, just the chance to buy allocations.

27. stupac2

Are you Hoarders? If so then it's the French Oak. Otherwise nothing.

28. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

i wont be

29. i get the impression that most people will not be maxing out

30. For me, maxing out on the Bois allocations will depend how they taste on May 9.

31. I'm pretty excited about the allocations this time. I know I personally plan to buy at least half of the 863 bottles of Smoking Wood available!

32. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

I think their email was a little misleading. It's not actually "no limit". They have 100 cases left from 2012. They're offering those for sale until they're gone (... or they'll probably go back in the cellar if they don't sell out). I would seriously buy a few of these if it weren't for the fact that all the Bois variants are being offered as well.

33. I thought it was funny too, sort of last on the list with "if you're not broke enough after the above..."

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  34. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

I'm really excited about these although pricy, this series of beers may be the best from the bruery. One of the best ba stong ales that hits big distro for sure. Just wish it was 10-15 bucks cheaper haha

ehammond1 and nanobrew like this.
  35. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Will Preservation get the Bourbon version or one of the others not going into distro?

36. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

Yeah, I will either buy zero or one brandy barrel variant. I like the beer but it's darn expensive and I still have Coton and Cuir bottles to get through.

37. Thank you. I am Hoarders. I only wrote "Bois(2)" in my checklist of what membership price got us and being away from home can't get to my more detailed listing of what we receive.

thedirtyname likes this.
  38. nanobrew

Bourbon, the others are RS and HS exclusives.

mattolesh, sirtomtom and Bay01 like this.
  39. You won't have to wait that long. Bottles of Bois go on sale tomorrow. From a hoarder's e-mail on Friday:

Important Note: The Bourbon Barrel Aged version of Bois will see nationwide distribution and we will release it locally on May 1st at our Tasting Room. You may purchase this beer online as a convenience for those who live out of town and would like their beer shipped, or for those who prefer ordering everything at once. However, on-line purchases will not be ready to pick up until sometime after 5/17. If you would like bottles of Bourbon Barrel Aged Bois before then, please visit our Tasting Room beginning 5/1 where you can purchase bottles in person - your Society discount will still apply.

The new allocation I'm drooling in advance over is the Melange 8 with the Geisha coffee blend. Ingrediients sound great and there's always the bonus of getting hit with a depressant and a stimulant at the same time...

domtronzero and eyeenjoybeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.