1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Bruery Announcements/Allocations

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

Ahh yess the GB right next to the Dirty Beever juice weekend....

However I will be greatly upset (Just like the RS members) if allocations are reduced by half on limited release stuff. Luckly the value of the beers included with the package nearly makes up for the cost of the package, unlike some other brewery's club

2. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

I'm not sure an RS member is in a position to imply that HS members somehow cross a line into expensive alcoholism that RS members don't already cross.

There was no mention either way - I specifically asked the Bruery if the RS would receive reduced allocations of beers like BT and Melange #3, and they avoided answering the question. I decided not to upgrade to the HS and stuck with the RS, knowing that allocations could end up reduced on some beers. Whether or not I regret that remains to be seen, but the opportunity to buy 12 bottles of SitR when we could buy 3 last year is a good sign.

The beef with Griffon Bruxellois is valid - they specifically marketed it as an RS 2013 beer and now may or may not be able to offer it to all RS members. I hope to get a bottle, but I'm not going to sweat it. If you joined the RS largely because of a beer that was taking its sweet time carbing up and had an unknown release, you were taking a risk anyway since they could've cancelled it like they did with Iniquitous a couple years ago.

lymph and MrFootstones like this.
  3. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

it was advertised several times on their facebook page, by name

4. Xul

https://www.facebook.com/TheBrueryReserveSociety/posts/479586175412750

Personally, I'm not pissed about it, but by 12/31 they had to have known how many Hoarders they had, how many RS members they had, and how many bottles of GB they had (unless they've dumped part of the batch?). At best, it seems unwise to advertise a questionable release as a selling point.

5. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

itd be a passiing issue if they cancelled it altogether. shit happens. but to say they oversold memberships, so they dont have enough bottles to give out is ridiculous

6. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

As someone who would have spent the money If invited, I'm not exactly thrilled with the way this is going so far. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now in that things are changing and you'll figure it out. One thing that I always found to be a bright spot about the Bruery was that they were always honest and seemed to have a plan. Lately it's been pretty much a cluster, with statements constantly changing and lots of flip flopping after money is spent. Not the best route to go down if you want repeat customers. Sure the beer demand is high now, but it's repeat customers that will keep you in business for the long haul.

7. The 'foolish' bit was a joke. We all crossed the treshold on spending absurd amounts of money on beer a long time ago.

With regard to allocations, the Bruery's silence on the way HS doubled allocations would affect RS allocations does not make giving RS members less so HS members can have more any less slimy as a business practice. Either way, I think your attitude of indifference is the right one. It is a bit hilarious to basically be like, 'Wait a minute - I have to spend less absurd portions of my income on your beer so Captain Fancypants can spend more absurd portions of his? This is an injustice!" if anything, RS members should have happier wives. I just wish the bruery would have been more forward about these things (i.e. told RS members that their allocations and availability of limited releases at events could be negatively affected by creation of the HS).

8. Xul

Unless your wife is particularly a fan of Bruery beers and will now be yelling at you because she heard that the HS is getting Peach SitR and demands you acquire some. I've avoided this entire set of problems by remaining single (obviously so that I can better focus on craft beer and metal...gotta have priorities), but Bruery sours in particular are remarkably popular with a lot of my female friends that have tried them, where other sours that I (and many BAs it seems) prefer - Cantillon, Drie Font, and Russian River in particular - elicited less excited reactions. I don't think this is necessarily a gender issue, but it has happened enough times that I find it interesting.

Agreed, but it's not as if we knew allocation numbers in advance in any prior years. For all we know, several barrels of BT could get destroyed in a freak forklift accident and change their plans. All things being equal, I would've liked assurances that RS allocations wouldn't drop, but I understand why they couldn't make that promise.

9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

theres gonna be one big shit storm come next week, :eek: that webstore is gonna blow!

ficklenicholas likes this.
  10. I agree that they blew it with GB for RS members, but based on my experiences the last few years, the year will be good to all. They have a great customer service history so give it some time.

11. Damn I knew I should have signed up for membership!

12. Do you have actual reason to believe that these beers won't be additional beers that just wouldn't have been at the initiation party if HS didn't exist?

lymph likes this.
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I like how everyone in this thread is assuming that Griffon won't be an RS beer. You do realize that they can make more, right?

lymph and CAbeerCAbeerCA like this.
  14. Chicken or egg, sir?

15. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

With all of this HS/RS talk and allocations talk, I wonder what will be left for us meager PS members? This sounds like a caste system in the making.

16. As a second-year RS member, here are my thoughts on this:

1. The potential inclusion of GR had no impact on my renewal as a RS member and it is a style of beer that I generally don't prefer anyway, so I am less inclined to be all that upset at this news. That said, if they all of the sudden pulled Choclate Rain from RS members, it would be a different story.

2. The Bruery clearly advertised GR (along with BT and CR) as being included in a last minute push to get new members. If there was any question as to their ability to include it, they should not have done that. I can understand why those who were really looking forward to this beer feel slighted.

3. I wouldn't put it past the Bruery to somehow make up for this. Perhaps they will offer something else that they were not planning to offer to RS members as a make-up for this, sort of like what they did with Grey Monday last year when the second piece of merchandise never came to be.

17. Xul

Did you miss the post where mattolesh said:
    So yes, it's conceivable that they could make more, but that's not assuming GB isn't an RS beer, that's a Bruery employee clearly stating they don't have enough to go around. If they intended to make more to do a full release, wouldn't it be logical to assume that 1) they wouldn't have started selling what they've got and 2) Matt wouldn't have apologized that some RS members won't get a crack at it?

18. They said there would be five to ten HS exclusives at the party. Given that we know of only one beer brewed thus far exclusively for HS, you have to interpret that beers that were previously allocated to RS parties are being bogarted for the HS members and their three guests. Stuff like Choc Rain, BA 2TD and Grey Monday would be good guesses.

19. stupac2

He clearly meant right now. They made what they made last year, intending to sell it last year, but that didn't work. Because of the issues with yield and an expanding membership they decided to release last year's to Hoarders this year rather than do a free-for-all with the RS. Nothing in there precludes them from making it again this year and releasing it generally. In fact, given that they now have experience with the recipe, it seems pretty likely to me that that's what they'll do.

So no, I don't think what you said is logical at all, I think it's not what anyone should expect in this situation.

Besides, they clearly tell you that the listed beers are just their plans and that it's all subject to change, I don't see why anyone is complaining about this.

Why don't you save your complaining for when something actually happens?

domtronzero likes this.
  20. If you want to be the space time continuum's bitch, go ahead.

Retail1LO, Beerandraiderfan and KaslD like this.
  21. First, as stupac said, you seem like you are stressing yourself out over an issue that hasn't happened yet (and I guess I agree with you that you'd have a legitimate beef if CR is a HS beer, but I think that's really unlikely).
    Second, the Bruery doesn't have unlimited bottles of all of their older beers, and they aren't obligated to serve exactly the same beers at every event. The HS beers will probably be SitR w/peaches and then other things (either older bottles or weird treatments) that they didn't have a ton available of and couldn't really serve to a big party--basically, I think it's more reasonable to assume that the beers available to HS are legitimate additional beers for HS, rather than beers that would have been served at the RS initiation party if only the HS didn't exist. I can see a potential argument that this limits later access at clusterforks or other small parties, but it doesn't actually take anything away from your ticket to this event.

I get that they have had some logistical issues with adding two club levels and redoing their website all at the same time, but they are fixing those things and also seem to genuinely want to provide good value to their members at every level--if you are prepared to almost instantly abandon your belief that this is the case, before something negative even actually happens, why did you decide to become a member at all?

22. Xul

You're doing some serious mental acrobatics to defend the fact that on 12/31, they advertised GB as an RS beer. I fully understand that everything is subject to change, but if you're telling me that on 12/31, they didn't have a handle on the number of HS members, RS members, and GB bottles, then you're implicitly saying that they don't have a handle on their production relative to what they've promised to the HS/RS. Maybe that's the case, or maybe their marketing team was saying things they shouldn't have been saying, I don't know.

As far as brewing it again, sure, they might, but I think most people would logically agree that before Matt posted "hey, we screwed up," he would've consulted with the production team and evaluated the chances of brewing it again this year. If there's a reasonable chance of it being brewed again, he'd likely say "Sorry we're short on this release, but we're planning to brew it again this fall." Am I making assumptions? Yes. Are they fairly easy assumptions to make if you're concerned with good customer service? Yes.

If they end up brewing it again, all the better, but I'm pretty sure you can understand why some people are frustrated.

23. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

As a first time RS member, I do think it's a bit off putting for the bruery to specifically mention that a beer would be available for RS members only to now say there's not a enough to go around. Definitely a bit unprofessional. That said, I will reserve my opinion regarding the overall value of my RS membership until the year is over. I'd like to think they'd somehow make it up to folks. I think some people need to relax and see how it all plays out by the end of the year. It's only February people.

Retail1LO, TheSevenDuffs and bird22 like this.
  24. How many RS members joined after seeing reference on Facebook to GB being available on 12/31? I'd speculate that number to be "not many." It's February though...and if GB is the reason anyone signed up for RS13...I'd hold off on believing they won't brew it again in 2013. Why cut the legs out on a body of work that isn't nearly finished? And if they don't brew it again? I'm sure if you complain enough, they'll make it right in the end. The perceived 'bait and switch' isn't awesome, but probably not intentional and potentially not confirmed.

Lest next week comes and everyone here is able to score a GB...all of the pain will be for naught. Best of luck to all RSers and their efforts to acquire said beer.

25. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I hope all the people complaining will consider dropping their memberships next year so we don't have to hear any of it again.

Franch, bird22, mrkrispy and 3 others like this.
  26. stupac2

I'm not doing any kind of mental gymnastics. They said that the beer would be in RS, they didn't say THIS BATCH would be in RS (it was listed with BT, do you think that the '13 RS is getting '12 BT? No? I didn't think so). For all you know they did exactly that and were planning on selling it in December, as they had initially planned to do with this batch in 2012. Nothing in Matt's post up there says when they made this judgment, for all you know it was well before that post.

You're not being logical, you're making a bunch of (basically unfounded) assumptions and going from there. If you care about this, send an e-mail to ask them, I'd actually be pretty surprised if they weren't planning on brewing GB again later this year.

jp7161 likes this.
  27. Not stressed out here at all and happy to be an RS member regardless of how the HS affects this year’s allocations and events compared with previous years. I mostly just find this business model pretty fascinating to watch unfold in real time. The fact that the Bruery previously managed to sell $300 memberships that successfully facilitated and encouraged hundreds of dollars in spending (for many) on their products per month was a pretty amazing thing to behold. And now they’ve gone on to establish an even pricier club with $700 annual fee that involves even more spending. And we’re seeing distribution of their beers altered as a result in very interesting ways that could function as a beer economics study on the effects of pricing, distribution and managing markets, customer demand, etc.

At the time of HS’s inception, I didn’t realize that it would impact the RS, and it certainly seems to be affecting the beers RS members receive now. I see your point about the limited number of older vintages at RS/HS parties and how it makes sense to provide those for HS members only since there may not be enough to go around. But the fact remains that if the HS were to max out on guest tickets, you’d have ~1,000 people with access to these exclusive older vintages that probably would have gone to RS members previously (even if they had tapped out early on in the event). This is no reason for stress or indignation, as RS members will all receive $300 worth of stuff if they were to sit back and ignore allocations and events. Nonetheless, it’s pretty interesting to see and yes, even speculate on how the RS/HS dynamic is affecting things.

With prices on limited beers increasing every year, the HS may be a microcosm of what is happening to limited craft beer in general (i.e., a pay-to-play dynamic that could force many out of beers that used to be in grasp for everybody).

Not to mention, it’s pretty damn entertaining to watch and participate in the class warfare emerging between the HS, RS and inevitably, the PS.

I think that ultimately, the Bruery will have the last laugh (figuratively speaking, I don’t believe they wish to villainously laugh at their customers). I bet that allocations for CR, BT and the like will be smaller than expected by both RS and HS members (if any HS members were assuming that their doubled allocations would be based off of numbers from previous years). What doesn’t change is the ever-increasing amount of money flowing into the bruery’s coffers. If you take a step back, it’s pretty hilarious and mind-boggling that a lot of this debate boils down to people jockeying for the privilege of spending the most ungodly amount of money on a fermented liquid possible.

On the flipside, I’m guessing there will be unlimited BA Five Golden Rings allocations for everyone. Anyone willing to break their bank will be able to bathe in it, fill their super soakers full of it and get their adult cactus cooler fix for a lifetime.

arash1000 likes this.
  28. Xul

If you don't think The Bruery has made any missteps in handling this, be it communication or allocation, there's nothing I or anyone else can say that will sway that.

Just sent this to Matt and will post his response when I get it:

29. Xul

Matt responded quite promptly, but has asked me not to post the contents of his response...if he chooses to weigh in later, that's entirely up to him, but I appreciate him taking the time to discuss it with me.

KevSal likes this.
  30. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Indeed sir! These are the same people that will order it given the "not so carbonated description" and then come on BA screaming like Justin Bieber tweens that the bottles aren't carbed

(had to avoid a "flat" joke there at the end)

lymph and domtronzero like this.
  31. That sounds ominous.

32. Xul

It shouldn't. Suffice to say, if you have a genuine concern, contact The Bruery and ask them...I would hope that Matt doesn't end up with 300 copies of the same question in his inbox, but BAs do love to pile into a line, so...

33. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

I'll just be over here patting myself on the back.

For my next trick, I'm predicting the HS only beers at the initiation party to be mostly variants of popular beers and not the popular beers themselves (SitR w/peaches, cherry chocolate rain, some BT variants etc etc). It would be fail on a pretty epic level for the Bruery to limit access to what are considered "flagship" RS beers.

lymph likes this.
  34. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

I get a whole weekend?

KaslD, bird22, mrkrispy and 1 other person like this.
  35. stupac2

Yeah, and I can say the same back to you. Plus if you think that everything that everyone at the Bruery ever says represents an infallible divination on the future, then you're hopelessly naive.

36. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

PS + RS + HS = Rue's Hotpink Fatpants Society

37. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Yes, but you do realize that GB stands for Gang Bang. Better lube up, those Bruery beer geeks are going to have a massive tickerection over your ass. Wear your hotpink sweatpants!

KaslD likes this.
  38. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Had a good convo with rryanc over a couple pints of Citra last night about RR/HS. I think my only complaints with this whole situation are:

1. It seems that the Bruery has no idea how to successfully plan or implement an event without making fundamental mistakes that piss people off. Weekday events, lack of food options, seriously overpriced DD tickets (for what you get, especially last year), limiting tasters, etc. are all problems that can be fixed.

2. Nobody would care about RS/HS distinction if people actually knew what was the requirement to get a HS invite. Plus, it is a stupid business move to not tell people since it would give RS members incentive to buy more beer and get into the HS echelon.

3. The complaints about what HS is getting at the Initiation Party are valid because nobody knows what it takes to be a HS member, and there are a lot of people who spend a shitload of money on the Bruery who didn't get an invite. Those people would've joined the HS if given a chance, so they are miffed that elite HS royalty will be drinking rare walez in front of the commoners at the party. Plus, that venue was crowded enough - are they really combining both sessions into one with twice as many people? Gonna be a mess.

4. Always an amateur move to release a website that has serious, fundamental flaws and not address them in a timely manner. I understand the challenges, I really do; but the website is the core of a big portion of their business - they should be working 24/7 to get that shit resolved.

That said, I love the idea behind the new website. And shipping is awesome. And the releases this year seem to be really good. So hopefully 2013 is a year of refinement for The Bruery and they can dial-in their issues.

39. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

1. The (2?) weekday events last year were obviously last-minute attempts at trying to get in something before the end of the year. That's probably the only convenient time they could squeeze them in. I'm glad they decided to have a barrel party last year, and was miffed that it was on a weekday, but they're a business and can't cater to everyone.

Lack of food options? Which event are you talking about? Last year's RS Initiation party had TONS of food, and the clusterfork parties, etc. always have enough.

Limiting tasters - That's their call. They're obviously trying to limit the amount of wasted people at the events. Actually its a seriously awesome move by my standards - I don't want to be surrounded by drunken idiots at a Bruery party, it's not GABF.

Overpriced DD tickets - ok, you got me there.

2. It's actually nobody's business how they decided who'd be invited to the HS, neither RS nor HS members. Seriously.

3. See #2 above. And no, I'm sure the event will be crowded (ever been to GABF?), but it's not going to be "a mess" (again, ever been to GABF?).

I'm hoping that they put up a curtain between the HS and the RS area so I don't have to look at any "commoners" while I am drinking my rare walez.

4. They're a brewery, not a multinational online commerce company. They make beer, and they do their best to hire people that know how to make websites work. They opened the site up early to a) allow their members to get excited about the new format of online purchasing and b) start getting feedback and notices of bugs that need to be fixed.

Every year is a year of refinement for the Bruery. They are constantly making their systems better and more efficient. But I know that eventually all this bitching and moaning will lead to an inevitable end to all of their societies, ala Lost Abbey's Sinners and Saints.

KaslD, Tenchi221, Brewzer1010 and 7 others like this.
  40. lymph

lymph Aficionado (180) California May 10, 2010

Only complaint about the food for me was the lack of vegetarian options, something that has been echoed by others, and something which will hopefully be addressed by the Bruery for future events. Without dietary restrictions, I really can't see why people would complain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.