1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Bruery is closing Provisions

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Jan 7, 2013.

1. From their Facebook Page:

We at The Bruery regret to announce that we will be closing our retail shop & tasting area in Old Towne Orange, The Bruery Provisions, on Sunday, January 13th. Provisions has been an important part of our company, spawned by our passion for craft beer and the opportunity to introduce others to it. Our decision to shut the doors did not come easy. However, after examining our growing business, increased production capacity, barrel aging efforts, enhanced Tasting Room, and growing membership societies, it became apparent Provisions is not the best use of our limited resources. We believe that this change will help us focus our efforts on brewing and distributing the best and most creative beer we can possibly brew and provide our customers with the best craft beer experience they can find. We encourage you to read some words on the closing from The Bruery’s Founder & CEO, Patrick Rue athttp://www.thebruery.com/farewellprovisions

Between Thursday, 1/10, and Sunday, 1/13, our entire stock of craft beers, wines, cheeses, charcuterie and other artisanal products will be on sale for 30% off. Beer from The Bruery will not be included in this sale and will continue to be available at our Tasting Room located next door to our production facility in Placentia as well as at many fine establishments around Southern California and beyond. The tasting area and patio of Provisions will be closed starting Today.

2. Just got it via email, very surprised but at the same time not surprised if that makes sense

Edit: Not on their Facebook feed

3. one long dramatic word for this.... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. That is too bad. I frequent Provisions and am really sad to see it go.

5. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

-sad face-

I just got the email too. Not really all that surprised, but I sure did enjoy the Provisions store. Oh well, hopefully the time, effort, and money will be rolled into making the Societies funner to be a part of (Clusterfork parties, etc.).

6. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

I haven't been to Provisions since they moved the allocation pickups back to Placentia, so the closing doesn't really affect me personally. That said, I never would've seen downtown Orange, which I really like, if not for the Provisions shop, so I'll always be grateful for that.

Also, it seems Patrick's blog post has knocked out the Bruery's wobbly website.

Sebowski likes this.
  7. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

very sad, loved going there. It elevated the craft beer experience for a lot of people. Thankfully I got an overnight trip to Orange in before it closed.

8. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

dang it, i really enjoyed hitting up felix's continental cafe & rolling over there for some brew :(

9. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

I loved going over there, especially for their special releases and what not. 'Tis a sad day :(

10. Same here. If it werent for Provisions I would have never visited Orange during my So Cal trips. Brightside, at least their facility in Placentia is super easy to get to.

11. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

All provisions beers are instawales now!

12. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

that is too bad. I always enjoyed visiting downtown Orange. I would think this would have led to a great opportunity for them to sell the store. The store/bar could keep the Provisions name (drop The Bruery). Seemed like a prime location and attraction for that part of town.

smarcoly and ehammond1 like this.
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That's too bad, I really liked that little area, but Provisions was the only reason to go there.

But I second the notion that this will hopefully allow them to focus more on the various societies, getting allocations out, planning parties, etc takes time, and now they'll have more staff for it rather than just maintaining Provisions.

Makes me wonder, though, was Provisions operating at a loss? Seems unlikely, but if it was making money why close it? They ought to at least be able to divest it.

NoSignsOfPain and Callmecoon like this.
  14. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (205) California Jan 10, 2011

This was the classiest beer joint I have been to. I loved the set up and the feel of it. Everything about that place was awesome except for the shitty parking. Oh well I guess. I'll still be frequenting the Tasting Room....I'm just worried about the crowd getting much larger at the Tasting Room now since it will be the only location they have.

15. Bummer. I was really looking forward to the tasting tomorrow night. Whatever opens it up in its place will hopefully be a similar establishment

16. Extremely surprised and disappointed. I love the idea of The Bruery having this shop and building the brand.

That shop is turnkey and has to be profitable (you'd think). Someone is gonna buy it. Who wants in?

17. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Haven and Provisions made for a great day. I am in shock.

Rocket80 and 4kbrianb like this.

18. close, but not the only place to visit in DT Orange. A moscow mule at Haven was a must every time I went.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  19. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

I really enjoyed going Provisions. Plus, this part of OC was in need of an artisinal shop that sold good cheese, coffee, etc.

As stupac2 stated above, I too am curious if Provisions was operating at a loss.

20. Let's get the gang together for a hostile takeover

21. That's too bad. Provisions has much nicer ambiance than the tasting room.

22. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Pretty shocking. I'll miss Bruxie :(

vissai, sind310, Cinderbike and 7 others like this.
  23. mshen

mshen Disciple (60) California Jun 22, 2012

Wow. Really sad to see it go. It is a lot easier convincing the wife to come along with me to a classy place like Provisions than the tasting room.

pmarlowe likes this.
  24. i too am very sad to see the provisions close its doors and im pretty sure the rising cost of store fronts in old town orange is the reason they are closing

25. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, Haven is cool, but I'm not going to go to Orange to go there. I'd be way more inclined to visit the area to go to Bruxie, honestly.

vissai, huadog and vurt like this.
  26. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

I was thinking the same thing. That bottle of Provisions Series Premiére is looking pretty special right about now.

27. blguillen

that said, I wonder how those Antique stores are doing and if they'll also be leaving...

28. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

Sad day. Can't read Patricks Post yet, since the site is down, but I know for me, I now wonder if the decision to move RS pickups to the tasting room was because they saw/knew this was coming, or if it was purely a economical business decision.

In any event, my two cents, moving away from pure taster flights, including guest taps, to a full pour license was not the way to go, imo. Just tasters allowed people to taste more, including guest taps, before purchasing bottles (of Bruery beers, and other beers they sold retail) When they went away from that, it lost something unique, and was more of a bar, which is common. I went there less, and I know many did also as a result. With that said, that's just my opionon, for all I know, they increased revenue by going full pour.

Also, moving the RS pickups to the new tasting room, also directed traffic away from Provisions as well, where as before I had to go there, and usually got a flight, other bottles, and at times some a cheese plate too. Though those sales may have not been cost affective, since all beers produced by the Bruery, they likley transported themselves from the main site to the Provisions.

Also, it always irked me just a little bit then the RS discount only applied to their merch, and their beer, but nothing else at Provisions. Seems they could have priced things in a way to account for RS discounts on anything sold under their roof, which is how most wine clubs work when they have a retail shop full of knick knacks, and offer club members discounts.

Anyhow, none of those things ever stopped me from going and enjoying it, and this really is too bad. Very, very sad news. The place was great, had a lot of charm, a great staff, comfortable, and a place I hoped to visit many more times as the years went on. Hope the staff is all staying on in some capicity with the company. RIP Bruery Provisions.

Callmecoon, ryno09 and smarcoly like this.
  29. blguillen

Dear Bruery Supporters,

I regret to inform you that the decision has been made to close The Bruery Provisions in Old Towne Orange, CA. This decision comes with a great deal of heartache. Provisions has become an important part of the Orange County craft beer scene. Family, friends, co-workers and I have enjoyed many pints and cheese plates, and I’ve have had the distinct pleasure to work with a number of passionate and talented people at Provisions. As fantastic as Provisions is, it has taken a disproportionate amount of The Bruery’s resources to operate and I decided it would be best for the long term success of the company to focus on making beer rather than operating a bottle shop and beer bar.

Opening Provisions was the realization of a dream for me. After travelling to many wonderful beer establishments around the country, the places I’ve enjoyed the most are a unique combination of a beer bar and a bottle shop. Other than being a one-stop shop for all beer needs, I noticed a common trait in that they have a great sense of community. This format is a great opportunity to educate about the diversity of beer, and a place to express a common interest in craft beer. When the opportunity arose to open such a concept in Old Towne Orange, steps away from my alma mater, Chapman Law School, I had to do it.

Having Provisions as part of our efforts over the last three years has been a great education for many of us within The Bruery on the retail side of the beer business. The Provisions Team has done a superb job in operating a first class operation, and their commitment to Provisions has made this decision all the more difficult. However, after examining Provisions within the context of what The Bruery should be, I realized it has taken a significant amount of our efforts away from our core purpose. To put it simply, we are a small company, we can’t do everything.

Our core purpose is to make beer, really fantastic beer, and to continually improve the quality of our beer. We’ve made some huge commitments to this core purpose by investing in fermentation capacity, which has increased our production capacity by 130% in the last few months. About 40% of our beer is aged in barrels for a year or longer, and we’ve amassed a collection of over 3,000 barrels to achieve this. In evaluating how The Bruery should operate in order to achieve its goals, it became apparent Provisions is not the best use of our limited resources. At this point, the best use of our efforts is focusing on innovation and quality in brewing, working with our many distributors and the thousands of establishments that carry our beer, and serving our customers directly through our Tasting Room, our website and our Society membership bases.

If Provisions was a tool to educate people about craft beer and help move the industry and culture forward, then it was a rousing success. Since its inception, we’ve introduced thousands of people to our passion for craft beer. We leave the customers of Provisions in good hands with numerous other locations that have been established within Old Towne Orange, and beyond, that serve and specialize in craft beer.

We will continue to serve Orange County’s craft beer needs through our Tasting Room, adjacent to our production facility in Placentia, which has recently undergone renovations as well. It now comfortably seats nearly 100 people and offers up to 40 different beers on draft at any given time along with our full selection of bottled beer available to-go, all hand crafted by The Bruery. We’ve also completed our 3 BBL (93 gallon) pilot system that will allow us to hone our recipes and offer unique, experimental batches on draft. All of us at The Bruery hope to see many of you picking up where you left off - with a flight of beer at our Tasting Room, watching us brew.

As Winston Churchill once said, "This is not the end. This is not even the beginning of the end. It is, instead, the end of the beginning.” And so it is for The Bruery. Our first 5 years are coming to a close and we are now putting ourselves on track for the next 5 years of craft beer and beyond. We are thankful to our customers and employees who have joined us on this journey.

Sincerely,
    Patrick Rue
    The Bruery

30. Some other OC brewery should grab the space.

luisc123 likes this.
  31. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

Thanks for posting the transcript. Good read, I'm sure this has been a bit heart wrenching for Patrick and crew. I can see the distraction, and the drain on resources from their primary goal. Perhaps some day it will be resurrected in some capicity.

2beerdogs and blguillen like this.
  32. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

What other OC brewery has both the financial resources and brand recognition to make that space work? Stone is the only other Southern California brewery that has entered the retail-only location model, and while it actually might be a decent fit for them (if they're even interested, they're not lacking for projects right now), I can't think of anyone else who could sustain a retail facility in a fairly high rent location.

dcgunman likes this.
  33. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Surprised but not shocked at the news. Probably been there a half dozen times. Great selections but a little over priced. But I'm sure part of that comes from being in a high rent area. I cant see myself driving from HB to pick up a few bottles of beer when I can walk a block to purchase the same beer for less. Unless the Provisions has something that's hard to find. I feel sorry for all the workers there. Hopefully some of them can pick up other jobs inside the Bruery. Times are still tough going into 2013. We have so many new brewery's, brewpubs/restaurants from last year and more on the way. Some will make it and some wont. Maybe the Bruery will concentrate on expanding their production line and put out some more great beers. A sad day for the craft beer industry here in OC. :(

34. mshen

mshen Disciple (60) California Jun 22, 2012

Is it really such a high rent location? I love the area but notice a lot of stores with little foot traffic.

Callmecoon likes this.
  35. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Cracked open a bottle a few weeks ago and it is tasting fantastic!

36. First Russian River pulls out of Wa. and now the Bruery is pulling out of Orange Circle in order to focus on Pacentia.

I would imagine that it would be high rent area. I also wonder how much was sunk into making that back patio area. Whooooops.

I do agree with others. Making it full pint service slowed down my roll in getting beer there. As a flight sounded a lot more responsible than getting a pint of just one thing - and I realize you could have gotten a flight (of in house beer, but still)

Also moving pick up from provisions to tasting room did cut down my visits to provisions a great deal. Sadly though, I decided not to renew my RS because I figured that a lot of beers last year, and the bulk of what I was getting, just showed up at Provisions.

Welp, so much for that plan.

37. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Sad to hear. Provisions helped me discover some cool little restaurants in the area as well. I really liked stopping by there on my SoCal trips, but apparently not enough other people did.

Hopefully this alleviates some stress and debt from the Bruery books...and it helps with the bottom line and overall success as Patrick hopes.

38. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

High for retail space? Not sure, I'm not a realtor. High for craft breweries who generally are in industrial/business parks? Definitely. It just doesn't make sense for most breweries to spend money on space that they can't brew in.

39. IKR

IKR Savant (310) California May 25, 2010

RIP Provisions. Here's to hoping for the best for all the cool staff working there who made every visit a joy.

jmgrub and 2beerdogs like this.
  40. Maybe you don't make it brewery specific. Have a few of the larger regional breweries (Hangar 24, Golden Road,) team up to get a bigger presence in OC.

Obviously you could do this concept anywhere in the area, it wouldn't have to be in Downtown Orange but the Bruery did a good job of establishing a location.