1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Bruery is closing Provisions

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Problem with that, Sandiego67, is that I think the bottle shop aspect of provisions wasn't all that successful. I would never see it really busy - the only aspect that got attention was the tasting/seated area. But bottles would just sit there. Heck, last I looked, they still had a variety of fiftyfifty eclipse bottles on the shelf.
  2. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

Loved going to Provisions and any special beer they had went within hours of posting. So they had to have a good amount of foot traffic. The only reason I see them shutting down is that they just wanted the top guys to stop focusing on that side of the business. Sad day indeed for the Southern California beer scene.
  3. The Bruery Tasting Room's going to get even more crowded. This sucks..
  4. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

7 people have emailed and/or texted me this already and it seems like it was only posted on the Bruery website a couple of hours ago. I am picturing that tomorrow morning, Reserve Society members will be at the doors like a midnight opening at Walmart for a holiday sale.

Sad to see this go, as I really enjoyed it there, but I can't say that I am very surprised. This always seemed like it was a project based more on fulfilling a personal pasion for somebody in the operation, than it ever made sense as a business for a brewery (more specifically; The Buery) to get involved in. You build a national brand and then go back and build the local store??? No, it usually works the other way around; you have the local expand into national. They were already on the national stage as a brand and while it was nice, it is a complete distraction from the focus of brand building to then build the local shop. Personally, I think that what Stone is doing is also backwards, but their cost of goods (their beer) is far cheaper to produced and not so much inventory tied up in aging programs. And they have infinitely deeper pockets to dig into to do something like side stores, even when they make little to no sense from a business perspective.
    KevSal likes this.
  5. Good point. I have only been there once on a Thursday afternoon and it wasn't crowded.

I was thinking it might have more foot traffic similar to the Pizza Port Bottle Shop here in Carlsbad which is re-opening today with a modified format. You can buy beer to-go only inside the shop doors. The outside patio will be available to drink on-site again.
  6. The Stone Store in Oceanside has become a social scene most evenings. I think they pump enough beer out of that store to make it worthwhile and keep a few people employed.

It is much better than driving out to Escondido when they have some of the limited releases on tap.
  7. Wait... 2013 RS cards were to be ready after the 21st.

So how are they gonna know who's RS?
  8. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (260) California Sep 10, 2011

Stone should take over.
    KevSal and dcgunman like this.
  9. They just opened up the Pasadena shop, doubt they're itching to take on another spot
  10. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Would be nice to see a Stone store in OC. Better than driving to Oceanside from HB. But I would prob only go for special growler fills only as I can buy their beers at my local down the street. Might be a little easier to get Enjoy By when its released.
  11. arash1000

arash1000 Aficionado (170) Arkansas Sep 26, 2012

I asked on their facebook page the same question. Have not gotten a response back yet. Maybe it is a last thing for the 2012 members.
  12. Well, I know what I'm doing thursday....buying what remains of Provisions.
    vissai likes this.
  13. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

2012 membership endes 12/31/12 and cards havent gone out yet for 2013...so its was probably just gonna be a silent free-for-all. From their prospective they're trying to empty the place out, not have a last good will gesture.
  14. Hell, if it's last years RS, I'll be on it like a bruery bottle in 750 format
  15. Callmecoon

Callmecoon Savant (340) California Jul 15, 2010

I'm just pissed that Hoarders members don't get 35% off.

(Just kidding)

I'm genuinely saddened by this. Those tasting events on the patio were some of my very favorite beer-related events of the last year and I was really looking forward to going to more this year. Bummer.
    smarcoly likes this.
  16. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

My fiance lives 2 blocks from the place, and since I get off work an hour before here, this was my goto for killing time when visiting her. Sad this place is closed, the only reason I go up to the tasting room is picking up allocations or for events, don't see that changing, so I guess the Bruery will get less of my business.
  17. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Bummed about this. I've always looked forward to my yearly trips with daysinthewake to pick up his bottles and drink some good beer. There's still the Bruery tasting room, but I liked it a lot better before the renovations. I really enjoyed drinking among the barrels. Now it just feels too sterile. Oh well.
  18. I am sad but parking would suck at times beyond belief. The food was good and tap prices were really reasonable.
  19. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (755) California Jan 31, 2005

Wow, you guys are on this. I was gonna post.

Anyway, I'm totally bummed about this. Some great people work there. Kendra and Jeff make it very welcoming. Many employees who've grown with the Bruery have nurtured their knowledge/love of all things beer here. And they've helped spread the word and interest for good beer. I've always liked the laid back, yet classy environment. Some great bites of food too. Granted, I don't get down as much as I used to now that we pick up Reserve Society allocations at the Tasting Room, but i still LOVE this place. As a RS member since the beginning, I really loved getting to the Provisions.

Obviously our pleas are futile at this point, decsion has been made. But Please Patrick don't make it so.
    sind310, smarcoly and Callmecoon like this.
  20. 2beerdogs

I sadly agree...but still.:(
  21. 2beerdogs

Absolutely true.^^^ I love the Tasting Room! (Actually there about once a week) But I really love that Provisions.
  22. 2beerdogs

No Shit!!! And the parking ain't exactly expansive at the Tasting Room.;)
    Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  23. Agreed. After I found out they were only pouring their own beers in flights/tasters, I really didn't go often since I could get mostly the same things at the brewery itself.
  24. That's going to be the downside. I like provisions seating and atmosphere far better than the chairs and tables at tasting and yeah, it's already crowded as is.

Gonna need to expand that space sooner rather Han later
  25. Truth be told, I'm not surprised in the slightest. At best, it was a place where they could get full value on their own product. But considering they've been popping up on the shelves of Trader Joe's, maybe just selling through distributors is worth the lower price than having rent and overhead to pay in having a shop for you.

Not to mention that if they just sell their bottles at the tasting room, the appearance, or lack of, excess bottles will push you to purchase more. Walking into provisions and seeing stacks and stacks of specific bottles just made you hold off on buying it.

The other beers, unless they were limited releases, weren't moving all that fast.
  26. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Because it is a known location, or is there actual equipment there?

As a visitor of the tasting room... I am saddened that I never made it to provisions.
  27. I am saddened that I never made it to provisions also.
    Living in NY made that quite improbable however I do realize that there will be a gaping hole that needs to be filled !
  28. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

my post disneyland wind down is no more :(
  29. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Same thing I always do :(
    MrFootstones likes this.
  30. Never been before so decided to make the trip today to pick some stuff up and see the place before its shut down. Really wish I'd been able to go before the final few days, looked like a really nice little store in an area with a lot of other cool little shops. I don't know which place is the bbq restaurant near it but damn it smelled good. Also, confirmed my hatred of roundabouts on this trip.

They are going by a list for 2013 Reserve members to get the discount since the cards aren't out yet. They may not be doing it for all 2012 members, but the gentleman ahead of me was a 2012 member and they went ahead and gave him the 30% off discount also.
  31. How picked over was the store?
  32. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Wouldn't worry about the tasting room getting drastically more crowded...it's not like the tasting area at Provisions could really accommodate more than 12 or 15 people anyway.
  33. Once they put in the patio, it was ways 20 deep
  34. @Early: They still had some nicer stuff out on the shelves when I was heading out but it was getting picked over pretty thoroughly. I guess I'll put it this way, I'm glad I was there when they opened because what I was after would have been gone within a few hours today.
  35. I fail to see how it follows that what Stone is doing is backwards. They're building their brand and selling their beer at a much higher mark-up than to distributors. And they can stock a store almost entirely with Stone branded merchandise and expand the number of locations where they can sell growler fills (which must be absurdly profitable).

I suppose you could argue that they haven't established themselves enough yet, or that there just isn't a market, but I don't see how in any way what they're doing is backwards.
  36. I'm sure it makes it much easier on the Bruery if you flash your card so I don't say this with any pride, but I've never once shown my Reserve Society card and I've always gotten a discount. They can look you up in their system/database/list.
  37. I scored 2x Tilquin Gueuze, 4x Black Albert, 2x FW DDBA, de Molen Mooi & Meedogenloos & Tsarina Esra Imp. - all at 30% off. Saw one guy hauling off at least a 10 pound slab of artisan-cured meat.

Some of the wild-eyed dreamers in line just before Provisions opened were speculating that the Bruery might dip into their cellars for this event, but no, nothing different than their usual offerings was on display.
  38. Are all the Eclipses are gone?
  39. There were two left when I headed out. Mellow corn and another that I've forgotten, I want to say it was black or blue wax.
  40. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Rue closed Provisions due to financial reasons. It is pure stupidity to think they were going to try and celebrate its closure - nobody ever wants to sell off their inventory at a huge markdown.
    Levitation likes this.