1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Canadian Top 100 And You

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wordemupg, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I'd assume Sammy has put the most dents in the list but I didn't get very far from the bottom before I found one that's eluded him. I'm fairly certain no one has conquered the best our country has too offer but I just gotta know.
    Do you pay attention to the top 100 for Canada?
    If so are you attempting to try them all?
    And of course how many have you tried?

I've been paying attention since it was the top 25, trying my best to get to them all but have never tried more then 87 and currently at 83.

2. Never really looked at it until now.

3. Only at 50, but could easily get to 60-70 without much effort. Problems arise for tap/cask only beers, and only the well traveled are likely to conquer the whole list (Crannog Back Hand of God, L'amere a Boire Cerna Hora, DDC Mea Culpa etc).

4. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

94 here and I haven't been to Ontario in more than a decade.

5. I think that says something about Ontario.

Last I checked I was at 45ish. I'm ambivalent, I like ticking but I haven't ticked easy ones like Maudite (which I've drank, just never with enough notes / sober enough / after I started reviewing). At this point, I want to try good beers, and therefore want to try them, but I am not a whale guy nor an avid trader. I drink and make too much homebrew to be drinking commercial all the time anyways...

6. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I've got 6............but i am married to a canadian, that has to be worth the other 94.

iguenard and yamar68 like this.
  7. I've tried about half those. The list only proves to me one thing, and that's that I don't agree with most of the tickers/reviewers on here for what are Canada's best beers! :p Maybe though that's because a lot of the stuff I think should be on there (more HO.ST beers!) is either draft only, or if it's bottled is really hard to get / limited.

8. I've had a few but mostly this is one of the few 'Top' lists I pay any attention to as it keeps me updated on the scene there while I remain in exile.

9. I like trying to get as many as i can :)
    The cool things is i try one from a brewery i've never had and it makes me want to try their others that aren't on the Top 100. Currently at 52 but with beers available on the shelves here it's about 72.

10. 46 here without much effort at all. A very recent trade aside, I haven't been trading much within Canada lately. I have been meaning to set up a trade for some BC locals but have been too lazy.

I am always happy to support the Ontario breweries with new releases that are available but aside from that I would rather just drive an hour to Buffalo and stock up on beer there. Less hastle and generally better stuff than I can get trading within Canada.

11. Had 70 of the Top 100. mainly the special editions/tap only and new brews in Ontario seem to be missing. Some stuff in the Top 100 doesn't interest me.

12. It's sad but true...

13. I have 12/100 with number 13 and 14 in my fridge although keep in mind there are some that just aren't easy or impossible to get. Like Peche Mortel Double Barrel, Denisson's Dunkel or Black Oak 10 Bitter Years (which last time I checked is discontinued)

14. The latest batch is fermenting right now...

15. Denisson's Dunkel is always on tap at Southern Accent in Mirvish Village (steps from Victory Cafe) and was recently (within the last 2 weeks or so) on tap at Volo

16. Mea Culpa was at the last DDC takeover at Volo.....pretty sure we were at the same table, just saying :)

17. Fair enough, but the others...!

18. Yeah those will be tough to come across....I was just trying to rain on your parade there.

19. I'm at about 50/100 and getting beyond that seems to be pretty hard to do in Ontario. I've had most to the DDC ones from trips to Montreal (and the Volo tap take over), but being from the East I've had little opportunity to try the great beers of the West. All the Half Pints, Central City (aside from the IPA), Driftwood, and Alley Cat beers are as hard for me to get as Dogfishhead or Sierra Nevada. I wish there was better internal distribution of these beers in Canada! You'd almost have to road trip to get anywhere near more than 50. There is no way anyone in any province I've been to has access to half of theses beers even irregularly (maybe Quebec, but still many are hard to track down and require Beer-Dep/Atwater Market/trips to breweries to get).

Also, as great as DDC is, it's a little sad for Canadian beer that they have 15/100 of the best beers in Canada. Come on! Maybe there should be a more practical list of the 100 best beers which are somewhat easier to get? Maybe filter it so there have to be 50 or more reviews to count? It might level out some of the love-at-first-pint beers for the more long term consistant ones.

20. IMHO, there are a lot of great west coast beers that deserve to be on that list. Howe Sound, Lighthouse, etc make some greet beers. Plus, places like Central City/etc go without saying...

21. Not bad that at least 60 have been in stores here in Alberta at one point or another, but only 5 of them were brewed here.

22. 50 but haven't had a shot or access to most the bc brews, need to take a trip or start trading

23. Unofficially I've had 40, reviewed only 13 of them (some others are still on paper) I agree with the general consensus I'd rather head south for a pile of good beers off the shelf than seek out a stack of Canadian brews.

The picture of your wife on your website makes up for the other 94 and the 100 beers of fame :D

ChadQuest likes this.
  24. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Being born and raised, but all American on the inside, it's the irony that while I am down here I can't get ANY of this stuff.. (or certainly not much of it).

HA HA!! oh the irony is truly unforgiving.

However I have managed to make a good dent in a few things.

I am a little scared though but very eager to go at some day and try some Half Pints from my ole neck of the woods.

What scares me though is the feeling I may not enjoy it based on the fact of everything I've had since then...

My current best of from Canada list from BA consists only of the following:

Péché Mortel (tap, nitro-tap, and bottle)
    La Fin du Monde
    Red Racer IPA
    Aphrodisiaque
    Trois Pistoles
    (I could buy La Terrible tomorrow if I wanted to...)
    Don de Dieu
    Solstice D'Hiver
    Raftman

Would you believe I got a good chunk of this on a visit to CHICAGO?!?!?

More to come... keep good beer comin Canada! (bottle of Dominus Vobiscum Tripel on the WAY! from CHICAGO none the less).

Cheers all!

25. There are beers listed with 11 ratings, that is not statistically significant
    there are one-off IPAs there not worth seeking after a few weeks
    a few I am cellaring
    Bottom line: There is no Canada 100, it should be maybe a 25

26. I like the variety that there is in the list. Maybe tweak the minimum reviews but all the good breweries seem to be represented. It used to be Top 25 and that sucked. The list would be filled with Unibroue, McAuslan & DDC due to their amount of reviews. Besides, i think it represents well Canada since inter-province distribution is different from province to province.

Re one-off IPAs: The only one i could see is Switchback. Ten Bitter Years is being re-released & a lot of the others are seasonals, released once a year.

And IPAs older than a few weeks are still worth seeking. Yes, they're better fresh but i've had IPAs with a few months that were pretty tasty.

27. Ok, I've been thinking about this and I wanted to try something. I exported the list to an excel file, cut off those with too few reviews (about 28 or less). I then resorted them by rank and cut off everything past the first 50. That means the low score is 3.88.

It's not overly Quebec heavy, but there are still a lot. Let me know what you think about the edited list. It's not ment to be any kind of official thing, I just wanted to see what a more realistic top 50 might be. Just an experiment in ranking!

Check out the pdf here.

28. Good to see they are rebrewing 10 bitter years. In regards to Denisson's Dunkel, good to see it is in Toronto as a regular offering, but if say I was in Vancouver, it wouldn't really be acquirable without a flight.

I have to agree here. If you took off every beer off of the top 100 that had less then 100 reviews, you'd be left around 20. Take off every beer with less then 50, you'd be in to 40s. That being said though, I'm sure there are some quality beers off of the list that would crack it if either happened.

29. Reviewed 79, but I've had 85. If I find them WAY below their rating, I usually give it another chance before really slamming them. If you can't say something nice...

30. Well, we're getting the Dunkel & Weissbier in Alberta very soon, and the agency is registering beers in BC, so you never know, you may just get the marvellous Denison's in BC soon.

31. I have had 50 of the top 100. It helps that two years ago I did a cross country pub crawl and got to Half Pints, Spinnakers, Capital City, and other destinations. The out of province selections available in Ontario make for slim pickings. This summer, I'm off to Newfoundland to try their fare. So many beers, so little time. (my total for world beers is just over 2000)

32. 54 for me with a couple in the cellar, and a couple on order to add to that number... Though most were procured when I lived in Alberta, so I suspect my ability to keep up will begin to diminish with my relocation to Ontario.

33. I think that Quebec being top heavy says something to who deserves to dominate, when participation of Quebec reviewers on the site is low relative to the drinkers (a different issue) . Quebec has some great brews and brewers that deserve to dominate over the years. Having said that, there are lots of subpar beers in the province too.

If you allow 11 reviews of a local beer on tap to be in, then all the locals can pump up that rating on a lucky batch. It has happened elsewhere over the years.

34. usually the case is they are not in prime condition, and I have stopped reviewing them if I suspect so.

35. there's a top 100 list of Canadian beers? I was not aware of this :p

36. You do live in Windsor. A 10 minute drive to a never-ending supply of Bells, Founders, Shorts, etc. I don't blame you...

37. Only had 28 overall; wish more Quebec and Ontario breweries were available on Vancouver Island.

Distribution was as follows:
    6 of the Top 10
    10 of the Top 20
    11 of the Top 30
    14 of the Top 40
    17 of the Top 50.

And then it crawls up to 28 by the end of the list.