1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The complete Trappist line up.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kumatmebrew, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hey. I'm looking at gathering the complete trappist line up for 2 seperate tastings. I tried Google to find a complete list but was unsuccessful. If anyone has a list and or link for a complete list it would be much appreciated.

2. RobertH50

RobertH50 Savant (300) Texas Jan 27, 2014

Here's a list of the breweries, from the International Trappist Assocation. If the brewery is not on this list, it's products are not official Trappist beers, regardless of name.

http://www.trappist.be/en/pages/trappist-beers

3. Thanks. Now to grab the last few beers. Cheers.

RobertH50 likes this.
  4. That's a whole lot of beer...

tylerstravis and thomda11 like this.
  5. How on earth are you accomplishing this in Saskatchewan?

kevinlater, Dupage25 and tylerstravis like this.
  6. Aren't a couple of the Achel beers only available on draught?

7. That sounds like a lot of fun. Westy 8 is still my favorite Trappist beer.

KegKicker likes this.
  8. Was in the local bottle shop today and picked up a Westmalle Tripel with that nip in the air. The owner and I were talking about how just incredible it is can you pick some thing every day that is the absolute representative of the style. Then he pointed out that I had grabbed some 4 day old Hop Drop.

Good times

RochefortChris and RobertH50 like this.
  9. RobertH50

RobertH50 Savant (300) Texas Jan 27, 2014

I enjoy the fact that I can pick up a Trappistes Rochefort 8 or 10 any day that I want. I don't have to go scrounging for it or trading for it--it's on my store shelf in plentiful quantities everyday. One of the world's very best beers--right there!

10. I lost the taste for Belgian beer a few years ago, but I have never heard of Mont Des Cats, Engelszell, or Zundert. Are these relatively new, or just a lot more obscure than the others?
    (I've read about the newish Spencer on BA.)

11. Interesting, I thought only those first 7 were authentic Trappist breweries. I've never heard of those bottom 3.

12. leroybrown10 likes this.
  13. Batch 12 is amazing. I have a batch 7 in my cellar that I am looking forward to. Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  14. Mont des Cats is from France, but it's brewed by Chimay. Spencer is out of MA and Stift Engelszell is out of Austria. You can get their 2 beers Benno (Saison) and Gregorius (BSDA) from CBX and/or TW.

15. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Nailed it! :)

16. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (590) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Never knew la trappe was from the netherlands.

17. Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue), Premiere (Red), Tripel (White), Speciale Cent Cinquante, Doree.
    Rochefort 6, 8, 10
    Westmalle Dubbel, Tripel
    Westvleteren Blonde (Green cap), 8 (Blue cap), 12 (Yellow cap).
    Achel 5° Blond, 5° Bruin, 8° Blond, 8° Bruin, Extra, Extra Blond.
    La Trappe Blond, Witte, Dubbel, Tripel, Isid'or, Isid'or Oak-Aged, Jubilaris, Quadrupel, Qudrupel Oak-Aged, Bockbier, Puur.
    Stift Engelszell Benno, Gregorius
    Spencer Trappist Ale
    Mont des Cats
    Orval, Petite Orval

18. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

What about Westmalle Extra and Westvleteren 4?

19. Recognized within the last couple years. To the above point about Mont Des Cats, it was started with Chimay but with the idea of standing on its own, and now it is. Good stuff, too. Achel is bottled, and if you've seen it draft, it would be a kind of exotic choice.

For a tasting this big, I wouldn't worry about the "smaller" in-house brews historically made just for the monks' own consumption, like petite Orval. (If there is still a Westvleteren 4, it must be in that category.) Your cup overruneth already --see what I did there, haha...

WckdVbz likes this.
  20. The Westmalle extra can only be bought on fridaymornings at the abbey...but it's a trappist for sure.
    The Westvleteren dubbel 4 abv is not in production anymore for years...

Thijs

21. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

When I'm asked rare beers I've tried, Westvleteren 4 is one I always forget.

Been reminded of it because St. Bernardus Extra 4 just turned up at Ton Overmars. Sadly, it's golden.

azorie likes this.
  22. zid

zid Savant (440) New York Feb 15, 2010

Please elaborate.

sharpski likes this.
  23. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

St Bernardus Extra 4 is a Belgian Pale. Westy 4 was a dubbel, so the former is a poor substitute for the latter.