1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The crown jewel of your cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by SeaOfShells, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Love your avitar...
    "I will eat your babies, bitch!"
  2. calir1

calir1 Aficionado (245) Oregon Nov 7, 2004

2010 Pliny? That's all you got? I got one from 7/10/08. One day I would love to open it, but probably wont. Like nerds I had 2, got them signed because they the 1st bottle date, and now I'll just stare at it in amazement.

Also got B1 FFAC. I will drink those for sure some day.
  3. I'm sorry to hear that man. I can drink it when the Cards win the World Series next if you want an update on how it's tasting soon.
    BDEE likes this.
  4. You're scaring me with how that Mimosa looks like it could easily get knocked over. That's a top 5 want for me so don't destroy it!
  5. Haha, don't worry. I just leaned it up there for the picture so you could tell what it was. It's tucked safely behind the lip on the shelf. That puppy is getting getting opened on my 30th in a couple weeks!
  6. Nice. Sounds like a good occasion. I see you made quick work out of getting Elaborative and the beer ill never be able to spell from memory, Prolegomena. When did you pick those up? I was there Wednesday for 3 hours. Nothing like an 8 hour each way day trip.
  7. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Lots of things going on in my cellar over the past few months. It was hard to decide on a crown jewel. Most of the bottles in my cellar are single ones, and they each have a little story to them. In the end, it came down to "which bottles will I never ever ever ever ever trade", and it came down to these 4.

[​IMG]

Funny thing is, I have multiples of 2 of these, so technically not unique :D
    jbuddle, futura123 and Michigan like this.
  8. 50th anniversary Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze?
  9. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Yup! That's not one I have multiples of sadly :p
    futura123 and oldp0rt like this.
  10. 06 NEBC Imperial Stout Trooper
    De Struise Double Black
    Magnum of 04 Drie Fonteinen Geuze

Oh and the collector in me values the Stout Trooper even more because the label is on upside down.

11. Haha I have an upside down label NEBCO 3 Judges! Or I did, until I drank it.
  12. 2011 Hill Farmstead Ann bottle # 135/300.
    Number45forever likes this.
  13. leschkie

leschkie Savant (495) California Jan 30, 2011

Um, I think my invitation to this birthday bash got lost in the mail
  14. Yeah, damn storms have been intense, not sure what happened there...plus, budget cuts at the post office of course. Tragic.

Mimosa, KH, BV Dark Lord, Prolegemena, Elaborative, etc. are all on deck for the night of my 30th on the 21st...then we have a keg of Weinhestaphaner Hefe and a ton of saisons lined up for the next day. The day after that, well, we have Gatorade too. Lots of Gatorade.

So, if you're a fan of Gatorade, etc. buy the plane ticket and come east!
  15. leschkie

leschkie Savant (495) California Jan 30, 2011

Man, I would definitely be there if I could. We had Mimosa this past Saturday and it was still drinking quite nicely. The citrus was still quite crisp, tangy, and dry...it held up like 10000000000000000000x better than that crappy Ann has.

Also, I would recommend drinking the PvW DL instead of the BV DL, and sit on the BV for a year. In the same tasting (http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...our-tasting-events.13597/page-34#post-1398034), we did the 2012 and 2013 BV DLs side-by-side, and the 2013 is just straight up vanilla at this point. The flavors of the stout haven't had time to integrate yet with the vanilla. But the 2012 is really a thing of beauty right now.

Anyhow, happy 30 Bill! Enjoy it!
    cfh64, futura123 and Number45forever like this.
  16. Glad to hear on Mimosa, this will be first time having it and I was hoping it was still great. Duly noted on BV DL. The initial plan was to save the PVW DL for an upcoming Pappy tasting with Rare, KH, Pappy, PVW Black Magick, etc. Perhaps we can break that up and sit on the '13 BV DL for a while.

#firstworldproblems
  17. Ann hasn't held up well?
  18. 3L 2005 Samiclaus
  19. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Drank some of my others at this point. Current gem is KTG 2010x2.
  20. Brewdog's Dog A and Burley Oak's Lower Class Barleywine (local and only their second bottling of it with only ~720 bottles, which is also their second bottled thing ever, they just started a small bottling of their year-round sessionable BW at 8%).

Not sure if someone else responded to this because I didn't want to read through all 14 pages, but I just had some on tap like a week ago and it was amazing. I also just picked up some GI Big John. They do so many great stouts. I always find a new stout by them.

p.s. I had actually come on here to make this very same thread (not in the cellar forums too often, but my cellar is really starting to pick up). I love the feeling of knowing you got some nice beer stashed away for a rainy day, a party, a celebration or just to enjoy one day.
  21. My first thought was either the Bourbon County Rare or 05 Lou PePe Kriek but now I am starting to think its the Kentucky Brunch #45 out of 300.
  22. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Juicy x2
    Fou Foune x5
    Bunch of Westys
    Couple of Kaberts

Hardly anything whale-ish, but I'm proud :)
    Michigan likes this.
  23. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

not a huge jewel, but i have a 3L of 2012 pappy's dark. opening that guy up for my 30th this year.
  24. My last bottles on the cellar: Trappistes Rochefort 8 and 10. Need to fill it up again.
  25. PALMEJ1

PALMEJ1 Savant (285) Alabama Dec 8, 2008

93 Cantillon Kriek
    96 Cantillon Gueuze
    04 Drie Fonteinen Magnum
    Hommage
    Malvasia
    02-08 Oude Gueuze Vintage
    batch 2 & 3 Beatification
    Isabelle
  26. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Could you be talked out of any of those first two jewels?
  27. brikelly

Sadly, no - I had 4 originally and was talked out of the first 2 for some serious Loonage.

The remaining two will be consumed at a tasting and special occasion, respectively.
    jbuddle likes this.
  28. Michigan

and that Fou? ;)
  29. brikelly

Same dealio! Sorry, I'm the king of hoarding and duke of disappointment for you today.
    jbuddle and Michigan like this.
  30. Michigan

I'm am merely the jester of jealously.
  31. My newest acquisitions, 6 Cantillons. I signed up to trade for some different stuff but I need to wait a month :(

[​IMG]
    brikelly likes this.
  32. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (335) Florida Jan 2, 2013

My brett-infected BA Gonzo 750. never released, not labeled just the logo on the cage. i will probably never open it, because im sure it's terrible, but the collector in me (not just beer, but autographs, 1st edition books, blahblahblah) just had to have it. its the 1st beer i clicked as a Want on BA. WAY over-traded for it, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?
  33. [​IMG]

My crown jewels...
    2008-2012 Surly Darkness, Five, Syx, Smoke and Pentagram