1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The down low on the Fou Foune 2012

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Vanlingleipa, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Or, to translate the title into English, any word when Jean baby is going to release FF 2012?

2. They released it mid-sept last year cause it was about 2 weeks after the bottling when I was there in early Oct.
  3. I can't remember for sure, but i think I remember him telling me it wasn't being released this year because their winter in Belgium was so cold or something like that.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

They just posted pictures to FB of it being bottled. So that's not true.
    They bottled last year on August 25th, at least one bottling. That's when my bottles are dated. So if it was released two weeks before you were there in Oct, then they wait about a month between bottling and release. It needs to bottle-condition, right?
  5. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

They just posted a picture on Facebook of all this year's bottles
  6. Yes sir... lol
  7. Guessing it will be ready by Quintessence, which is on Oct. 5... we shall see...
  8. Then I'm wrong huzzah! I mean, it was at the festival, and I had had at least a few :rolleyes:
  9. So chances are it should be available at the brewery in late October?
  10. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

As long as there is still some left at that point.
  11. Remember Jeffo's drunken promise Frank?
    We got you covered.
    Jeffo and claaark13 like this.
  12. Hey, Erik, very kind of you. I'm going to try to grab a few bottles on-line. If it doesn't work out, I'll hit you guys up.
  13. I was yesterday at the Brewery and they told me the release is in 3-4 weeks!!!
  14. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Monday the 24th is my last day in Brussels for this trip. I think this will help to pin down the time frame. :mad:

Any chance that this hits Moeder Lambic before the bottle release?
  15. No I don't think so!
  16. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Anyone that has gone before, do you know if there is a bottle limit at the brewery?
  17. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

They didn't have one when I was there last year, but I can't speak for this year. I'll be at the brewery on Saturday so I'll let you all know if it is out yet.
  18. Bobby91w

Bobby91w Aficionado (110) Indiana Oct 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure that he might have been talking about Lou Pepe Kriek which last I heard will not be released this year. Supposedly it has something to do with bees not pollinating the cherry trees used to make it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but both my buddy that was there last week and Kurt from Belgiuminabox's Blog verified this.
  19. Bottle limits are for greedy Americans. LOL.

I have never seen a bottle limit at Cantillon. I would suspect that JVR would probably give you a hard time if you tried to buy 100 bottles of Fou Foune. Remember this is not a "release". You just go to the gift shop and buy Lambic. I personally love drinking there too....
    farundrpar and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  20. You like drinking anywhere Mike
  21. willseph

No Fou, folks. It sounded like they sold out about a week ago, but the gentleman I spoke with made it sound like they had some more yet to bottle in the next month or so.
  22. ?? where you hearing this. I doubt the validity of this.
  23. willseph

I asked one of the guys at Cantillon when I was there on Saturday.
  24. willseph

Although, it did look like some will be going to some establishments for tapping. (Unless those containers are not used for drafts?)
    [​IMG]
  25. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Are you sure that he was not talking about last year's Fou Foune? My sources tell me (today) that this year's has not been sold yet.
    shyhenry likes this.
  26. willseph

I can't be totally certain because I didn't specifically ask if it was this year's batch, but there was a "Sold Out" sign on board showing the labels available for sale. I then asked the guy (middle-aged, white/grey hair, cool silver glasses) if he had any left in back and he said they didn't. There were also no stacks of Fou Foune bottles back in the storage area, everything was Bio, Kriek, Rose de Gambrinus, and some St. Lamvinus I believe. But, I've been wrong before...
  27. That's what I was thinking Jimbo.... I really don't think they have bottled this years batch. Also they never do 2 bottlings. So if they did one bottling already they wouldn't do a 2nd.
  28. shyhenry

shyhenry Aficionado (145) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

Willseph, I think you might have had a misunderstanding with the staff. I've been hearing the same things as Uncle Jimbo. When I was at Cantillon a couple of weeks ago, Fou Foune wasn't available, but that was last year's stock.
  29. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

It was bottled, as stated earlier in this thread. Proof via pictures were shown on facebook. Give me a minute and ill toss in a link. If memory serves me correct, it was expected to be ready in the coming week or 2.

[​IMG]
    Bottled 8/24
    Pic posted 8/25

Considering the bottle prices last year in philly and how quick they sold out, I have already prepared myself to see a sticker price of 50. let the rape begin
  30. willseph

I understand, so it sounds like it's not out yet then? The picture on facebook they posted on August 24 of the Fou Foune bottles are not for sale yet then?
  31. I was there 2 weeks ago and the batch was botteld and in 5 weeks the were sold in the shop.
    So in three weeks the release of Fou Fone!!!
  32. Tnudish

Fou Foune is wroth $50 IMHO.
  33. I have my fingers crossed that Fou Fone will be at the brewery when I swing through Brussels heading to Borfets on Thursday 9/27.... It's cutting it close based on your estimate Andre!!!
  34. Come on now.... $50 is steep as hell for a beer that is not a one off.
  35. Tnudish

I think it's worth $50, that doesn't mean I want to pay that, but if I saw it for $50 at a bar, I wouldnt think twice about ordering it as opposed to other stuff.
  36. I am not opposed to paying premium for a rare tick.... I payed 40$ for some Dirty Horse recently. I just don't see Fou Fone as a rare tick. You can get it. It's not like some of the weird one off's/brewery exclusives (like your avitar).
  37. No, it's only one of the best beers in the world. But whatever. :rolleyes:

It's also way better than Dirty Horse.
  38. UncleJimbo and Knifestyles like this.
  39. There is going to be a whole lot of ISO's I bet...