1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

The Emperor drinks a new beer

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Stevicus, Feb 14, 2013.

1. I have not done a review in the few years I have been on BA, but I have been willing to discuss my opinions on certain matters like Beer Karma, Wales, and other issues driven by scarcity and quality of certain brews. I finally took the time to have Pliny the Younger today and was quite disappointed. Not in the overall quality of the beer, but of the overall power behind the beer. If you live in California, you should have normal access to beers that are on an even, if not better, keel with PtY, on an every day basis. I had a Hop Venom up in Portland that I would say was equal to, if not better, than my experience today. This years Hopaclypse had a bigger hop profile. Simtra, Hop-Craic, Hopsickle,Racer 10,De-nogginzer, even Hoptimum, in my opinion, all represent a better, solid attempt at a TIPA, than Younger. So without me coming off like a brew curmudgeon, does someone want to tell me what I am missing?

2. Just because something is hyped or well regarded doesn't mean you have to agree. It's all about personal preference.

JustXBeer likes this.
  3. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

^ What he said.

I wouldn't agree with a single one of those, particularly Hop-Craic (assuming you mean the Moylan's thing). Palate preference for sure.

This year's Hopocalypse was outstanding, however. Substantially better than Black Label (and yes, before someone gets pedantic, I realize I'm comparing a DIPA and a TIPA).

OP, you're also correct that so many breweries have stepped up the IPA game that neither Elder nor Younger are as unique as they once were. I'm happy about that. I still think Younger does a better job than many TIPAs out there. I'm a little bummed that I'm probably not going to get to try it this year, but such is life.

litheum94 and drgarage like this.
  4. Thats what I was thinking. There's too many beers out there to worry about what everyone thinks about one in particular. If you didn't like it, no biggie. If others did like it, good for them.

5. hansw

hansw Aficionado (125) California Oct 15, 2006

Yes, you missed Brass Knuckle from Marin in your enumeration, which I found to be better than PTY.:)

6. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

And I would emphasize how off the assessment of Denoggenizer is. That's not even one of Drake's better outings.

7. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Dude, you're not thinking this through. We're dealing with a guy who'd rather drink Denogginizer than chase down Younger. Don't try to change his mind. :mad:

drgarage, KevSal, stupac2 and 2 others like this.
  8. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

What we're talking about these days is really two different things: Younger the experience/rigamarole is rather awful. Younger the beer, however, is rather amazing.

9. I might have been exaggerating a little with De-nog, but I do like the point that this is really about other brewers stepping up their game. The TIPA does appear to be a NorCal phenomenom. My personal preference would be for a hop sludge, or a hop quad, so Younger was not going to be my Holy Grail, I think I fell for the hype too and let it influence my opinion. Hey, just means more for the rest of you.

10. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Ugh. I just had that for the first time and it was way too sweet for me. You can have my share of that beer.

11. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (275) California Nov 24, 2009

So what is the point of these threads? Talking about your preferences of tipas? Do you want people to debate with you on personal preference? Obviously this is a forum yada yada... I dont see the point of "i liked other beers more so than ______" in pacific forum.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  12. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Thank you for offering beers you feel are better than Younger, it makes it much easier to judge you.

pinkgrenade likes this.
  13. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Balance.

14. You make a good point, and I am not sure what I was expecting to hear back. The fanboys are always going to fall in line, and the haters are going to hate. To be honest, I do not have a thick enough skin to start things and not take some of the comments personally, but usually I can get some positive feedback, which I did, and a newer perspective. I do think the aura around PtY does have some "new clothes" energy. I was hoping more people would discuss that fact. Apparently not.

15. porterdog

porterdog Disciple (60) California Jul 17, 2009

I don't understand "new clothes" in your comment. Do you mean "no clothes"? The mustard is off your hot dog dude. Any Younger is great, lines and such are overkill.

16. drgarage

No, you see? Stevicus is the emperor. Hail Stevicus!

17. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I would agree that if the most important thing you're looking for in a beer, or at least in a DIPA, is the size of the hop profile, then sure, there are beers with more hops than Younger. You're not missing anything. If that's what you're after, there are other places to turn where you can be satisfied much more easily and cheaply.

I could tell you that, to me, there's a lot more to it than just making the hoppiest beer, which is really a very easy thing to do. It's not any harder than making the hottest chili, or making the saltiest soup. On reason Vinnie's a legend is that he can make really hoppy beers that have more going on than just overwhelming hoppiness. The way he can combine different hops, and somehow balance the beer despite a fairly simple and dry body, is something special. (As is his gift for sours, but I digress.) But if you didn't like it that much, you didn't like it that much, and that's just the way it goes.

Stevicus and AptosBeerDrinker like this.
  18. drgarage

Totally agreed. He's just about the only brewer whose definition of balance isn't just "add more crystal malt the more hops we add!" There's something so simple by beautiful about his hoppy beers. Especially Row 2.

19. I have been away from BA for awhile because the Peninsula/South Bay beer scene is just too tight. Same 20 guys get there hands on everything and wonder why everyone else complains. Majority of my posts before the new format were about that subject, and I think I even got tired of listening to myself complain. But, I usually had some good interaction on the subjects.
    This one in particular has been sticky(pun sort of intended) because of the sainthood of PtY. I took a bad first step by not really trying to make my point: A lot of the insanity around PtY is because of the people involved and not the beer itself. And I mean the drinkers and barkeepers, not the brewers. I was so hyped on this I wanted to be in the parking lot eating raw hops and slamming maple syrup and still be able to be devastated by the awesomeness of PtY. Did not happen. It is a good beer, and I would pick it over a regular Pliny. But stigmata inducing it was not. I was willing to admit it, I think most are not. I am beginning to believe that it is because more drinkers do not drink a lot of hoppy beers. I would even bet more than 50% of PtY is consumed by people who have never had any other beer that was considered a TIPA. There is no measuring stick.
    I am beating a dead Roman with all of this, so I am going to hang it up. I believe Hopfather and Row 2 are better examples of RRs brewing prowess(at this stage of the game, I would find it hard to believe Vinne has the only hand in these things.) I now have a sixer of Hopslam to pour down the drain because it is too balanced and refined for my uncouth palate.

20. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

When is a beer's popularity/insanity not directly related to the drinkers and barkeepers?

Your thread is no different than any other thread on BA where someone says "I don't get the hype around ______." It's all about preferences, and the beer that appeals to the craft beer masses will get the votes, hype and popularity.

21. hansw

hansw Aficionado (125) California Oct 15, 2006

Thanks for reminding me that it is Hopslam time. I may be too late in ordering though.