1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The enjoyment or search of special releases?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crow121, Jan 20, 2013.

1. crow121

crow121 Aficionado (115) Maryland Sep 23, 2010

It's safe to say that we all enjoy drinking good beer. But with all the different releases that are out there, is it more that we enjoy drinking these beers or do we crave the search, the journey of finding and having these special releases?

For instance, I've been fortunate to find bottles of Bourbon County Coffee and Cherry Rye. The plan is to drink them, but I have not yet. Mostly because there's a certain level of satisfaction of just being able to find and have them.
    brewbetter and DaKur like this.
  2. Either drink them or admit you are a hoarder.
  3. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I hate the search. It was once exciting but turns exhausting very quickly.
    YogiBeer, bastu, DogfishJoe and 7 others like this.
  4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

This. Now I just dread all the running around I'm going to have to do just to get a damn beer. Its become like a second job, and I'm ready to quit.
    bostonlogga, Jwale73 and aasher like this.
  5. Would you rather be seen with a beautiful women or sleep with her? drink your beer
    bostonlogga and fujindemon74 like this.
  6. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Don't enjoy the search, enjoy walking in not expecting to see something and then there it is sitting on the shelf then taking it home and drinking it.
  7. What if you're seen with beautiful women while sleeping with other beautiful women?
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

To me, "having" a beer means drinking it.

I do cellar some beer, but that's always because I want to taste it with some age.
  9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

...and she has awesome beer?

Beer searching kind of reminds me of a time when I was (quite a bit) younger, and the days of finding "rare" Star Wars action figures. Except drinking beer is better than playing with small dolls
    YogiBeer and fujindemon74 like this.
  10. I'm not that lucky!
  11. Jonada

Jonada Savant (475) New Jersey May 23, 2012

To me, the search is kind of a pain in the ass. While I admit I do get a nice feeling of satisfaction when I'm able to find and purchase a rare beer, that feeling is really more of a product of the work I had to put in to get to that point.

If given the option I'd much prefer to be able to walk into my local store and purchase special release beers with little to no effort involved.
  12. I hoard therefor I am!
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  13. This fall I walked into a random liquor store. I never go to this place and it was extremely small. They only had about five varieties of craft, two Bells regulars, two Founders regulars, and then a single glowing four pack of Founders Harvest, and it was only about seven days old.

Last spring I had to annoy my local store and reserve a single bottle of KBS. When I went in to buy it, the owner looked like he had been through a boxing match with the entire beer geek community all morning.

I much preferred the first instance.

However, 'searching' can be fun if it entails taking a road trip to a brewery for a special release or just something you couldn't get elsewhere.

I think I answered that question...
    Drew26 and frankthetank86 like this.
  14. talk about exhausting, i drove almost three hours to PA to pick up some stone enjoy by and of course drive back.
  15. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

The search sucks. Finding out which beers are available where is exhausting. The point of good beer is DRINKING it, not spending $100 on gas getting it or fighting in long lines for it. If some of these breweries really gave a damn about their customers they'd make some of these more readily available.
  16. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

The search overall is fun. It can be as exhausting as it it exciting. The negotiation is typically my favorite part next to opening the box of course.
  17. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (340) New York Jan 19, 2013

Long time beer lover, just starting to get deep into learning about all the special releases. I couldn't sleep last night because my family just decided to visit Chicago in April, and all I could think about was the giant haul of beer that I might find that's not available in the Finger Lakes.
  18. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I admit that I am a hoarder, but not in huge quantities. I have about 20 "special beers" that I am holding and plan to keep them for special occasions.
  19. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I enjoy hunting down beer. I don't hoard it though, I hunt it for my husband. He also hunts for me. It's fun when you buy it for someone else that will love it.
  20. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I enjoy drinking them, definitely not hunting them. All the douchebaggery was too much for me. I no longer waste my time chasing them. Whatever the beer store happens to have when I happen to be there is what I buy.
  21. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

it is quite exhausting and sucks but for some reason i find myself taking on greater and greater challenges and searching for rarer and rarer beers. Addiction? Maybe? Satisfying? most definitely

would I do it all again? yes lol
  22. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

This is my approach too. If I happen upon something rad I'll pick it up, but I don't really have the time or desire to go out of my way to get super rare stuff. Now if something shows up at a bottle share, of course I won't turn it down...
  23. *Mike Singeltary Voice*

Can't do it!
  24. For my first year and a half on BA I traded for almost every highly sought after beer. Eventually I learned that hype and good reviews doesnt mean I will enjoy the beer. Now I go after styles that I like and word of mouth. Dropping $60 in beer, extras, and shipping for an unproven brew is for the rookies.
  25. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I prefer setting up good contacts that can get me bees that I really like, or really want to try.
    I won't chase a big beer anymore. Trading is good for that.
  26. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I wait for things to fall into my lap. I don't have the time, money, or care to be chasin' walez bro.

Seriously, most people I drink these brews with anyway arent into it as much as me, they just enjoy a great beer. So im the man if I show up with Big Bad Baptist. Why would I go through the hassle of acquiring Black Tuesday again when ive already had it and they will piss their pants in excitement for BBB? (AS WILL I)
    jglowe77 likes this.
  27. Unless I'm positive it's coming to my area, I don't really appreciate stubborn distributors and lazy store owners making me drive a long way to get a beer. Trading, especially in this community, is really a great thing. However, per Casedogg's quoted post, it's so wonderful when I walk into my local bottle shop and Sean says, "hey man, I set aside something you need to try, here's a 5% discount." Good contacts are amazing.
  28. The search is terrible. Nothing redeeming about driving from store to store leering at beer racks like some kind of psycho and asking the poor clerks about some beer they have already been asked about 50 times that day and probably don't have anyway. Then there's the fact that I always feel like a douche asking about some rare beer and being like, "Oh...well, bye", if they don't have it, so I usually end up making a gratuitous purchase I don't need. For awhile that made me apprehensious about drinking whatever hard-to-get stuff I landed until I realized that there is some new rare elusive beer being released almost every week. Moral of the story I guess is drink em if you got em. They will make more.
  29. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

All of the above.
  30. This is like choosing between blondes & redheads.
    Yes.
  31. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

And make a video of yourself sleeping with the beautiful woman for maximum winnage?

32. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (295) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

I enjoy stumbling on a special or limited release beer on my weekly stops at my 2 bottles shops...I don't think I'd get the same satisfaction putting crazy miles on the car and spending hours going to a dozen different places trying to hunt something particular down.
  33. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Woods Hole just launched a new robotic sub to help locate rare and endangered whales...might help?
    Ernest_Hooper and ForkAndSpoonOp like this.
  34. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Thrill of the chase.
    DaKur likes this.
  35. alli4051

alli4051 Aficionado (235) Colorado Oct 16, 2009

This. If I catch a tip on here about a good get I might go out of my way but that's about it.
  36. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Personally, I consider it a compulsion. Having the full beers in hand satisfies the compulsion for some.

I also find the search extremely exhausting and think/hope I'll be getting over it soon.
  37. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

And what if you're seen with beautiful women, while secretly taking satisfaction in the knowledge that you have several other beautiful women in your basement? But not next to your water heater because the heat fluctuation might mess 'em up.
    bostonlogga and Andygirl like this.
  38. Anyone who got into beer specifically so they could drive six hours and stand in a line could probably find a much cheaper hobby. I don't have the time, money, or frankly the inclination to whale hunt like some people, and I accept that I'm gonna miss out on some amazing things because of it. But there's certainly a collecting aspect to this, as anyone who looks in my basement can see. And I do enjoy digging around a little bit to find something cool. Within reason, of course.
  39. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Ill admit I horde between chasing and trading but then I will do one hell of a tasting with close friends where we try many great and beers that we cant easily obtain all at once
  40. Your secret is safe with me. Now, when's this heated orgy?
    fmccormi likes this.