1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Feds make a statement about "out-of-code" beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beergurujr, Feb 13, 2013.

1. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

2. Sooooo.......do brewers have to put freshness dats on bottles or not? Otherwise this seems pretty pointless.

3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

This statement does not impact the consumers all that much, its just more likely to mislead those who do not read closely. Sure it may give some retailers some needed leverage but it would require the retailers to care and be diligent in order to make a difference. I see no real change in what consumers see on shelves.

4. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

I don't see any real enforcement mechanism. If there was, I think we would see less product offered by distros to retailers. For example, obscure imports, dying mainstream labels, or craft brands with poor retail sales histories in a given market might disappear. Quicker than might otherwise.

5. This ruling/clarification is from Nov. 2012.

6. It seems like the blogger doesn't understand the difference between a product that is defective and one the brewery simply no longer wants sold out of preference (i.e. freshness).

The ruling is strictly to clarify that the TTB is ok with distributors/brewers pulling beers past the freshness date but they cannot use it as a work around to sell the beer on consignment through the retailer. In other words, the retailer has to buy the beer but they can return it to the distributor/brewer after the freshness date. What is not allowed is for the distributor/brewer to let the retailer sell the beer without having bought it first and only paying for what is sold after it sells (a consignment sale).

beerindex and beergurujr like this.
  7. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

being on the retail end of things, it would really effect your local craft store on which products they stock. If the distributor for that brewer does not pick up out of code product, expect to see less of that brewers product. I feel like this would effect stone brewing pretty hard since they put 60 day best by dates on their products and do nothing about picking them up.