1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Festival US second edition is coming to Portland ME June 21-22.

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by LostTraveler, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixylplik3

mixylplik3 Aficionado (235) Maine Feb 21, 2007

WhereTheWildBeersGo likes this.
  2. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Savant (450) Maine Mar 26, 2008

That's a great point. I hope that is the case as well!

3. Walking to the Festival last year from my place in Worcester was wayyyyyy too good for it to happen 2 years in a row.
    Oh well. You can have my moneys

Jnorton00 likes this.
  4. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I'm thinking collaborations...and after parties.

And possible liver failure.

5. slander

slander Site Editor (590) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

I see the Residence Inn/Portland downtown is looking for a mere $350 a night, The Hampton Inn/Portland downtown waterfront for $359, & The Hilton Garden Inn/Portland downtown waterfront going for $254.
    WTF?

6. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (165) Maine May 22, 2012

If your just looking for a cheap place... try La Quinta on Park Ave. It would be a half hour stumble from the old port but a $10-15 cab ride and the rates are usually around $75-125 a night. Thats where my beer loving friends stay when they come to town.

7. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I only live half an hour away...man...I gotta do this.

8. beerinmaine

Downtown, waterfront(ish), summer. It's Vacationland.

Stay on the outskirts, get a cab.

9. Any idea when tix go on sale ?

10. beerinmaine

It has not been announced.

11. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (165) Maine May 22, 2012

WassailWilly likes this.
  12. cdgraves

cdgraves Disciple (60) Colorado Jun 15, 2008

Yeah, you're not going to find cheap hotels within walking distance during tourist season. I'm pretty sure parking at the Holliday Inn by The Bay is more than my rent.

You guys know about the Downeaster, right? The train runs from Brunswick to Boston. Grab a cheap motel in Brunswick or the North Shore, catch the bus or hoof it to the fest from the train/bus station.

13. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Yeah, too bad the last Downeaster train south departs Portland, ME, at 6:50 pm on Sat. and Sun. I would love to be able to use that train.

Amtrak Downeaster schedule

14. Thanks for the info, I'll be watching for when tickets go on sale! Does anybody have experience buying these tickets from past festivals?

15. beerinmaine

Well, this festival has only happened once before. It did not sell out rapidly then. There was controversy about the ticket price. It was not especially well-advertised (i.e. many of us in ME didn't know about it until it was over).

So I'd say this year will be a totally different ticket-buying experience.

16. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (335) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

I don't know if the Festival ever really sold out last year. I bought my tickets 2 days before and used a promo code (thanks BA) which really sweetened the deal. It really, REALLY flew under the radar last year, despite the posting of the epic beer list well in advance. I highly doubt tickets will still be available a couple days before the fest, much less at a discounted rate!

17. I'm so pumped for this.

I can throw things from my apartment and hit the Portland Yacht Services.

18. Got room on your floor for crashing ?

Jnorton00 likes this.
  19. beerinmaine

If you do that, the restraining order might make it tough to get in.

;)

20. The funny thing is all of those hotels are just your standard run-of-the-mill hotels. I have stayed in the Hilton and Hampton during winters for $110 per night. Really nothing special to differentiate them from a cheap Holiday Inn Express besides location I guess. I'm gonna save $200 and stay right outside of downtown if I end up going.

21. I have been to the one at expo a couple times. They have tickets but most people don't always ask for them.

22. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Downtown Portland hotels are a racket ...

23. and two more are going up this year plus another building is being converted into one...

24. dciBA

dciBA Savant (380) Maine Dec 23, 2007

I love how beer geeks will drop 60 bucks on what amounts to a couple pints of beer served to them 2oz at a time butdon't want to pay anything for a room to sleep in and shower. I agree those prices are high but you're looking at hotels in the most desirable spot in the city during the heart of tourist season. These places only have a few months to make an entire years worth money. Stay just outside the old port for way cheaper. Or bring a tent and sleep on my lawn for free. ;)

mclaughlindw4 likes this.
  25. benbking

benbking Savant (285) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

what do you charge for showers?

LostTraveler likes this.
  26. Let the shanty town begin!

DogfishTail and Auror like this.
  27. dciBA

dciBA Savant (380) Maine Dec 23, 2007

20 bucks for 5 minutes or you can use the hose outside for free. I would seriously up my place but my brother in law scheduled his wedding for the same weekend before this was announced. Hoping to make it to the friday evening session

28. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Perhaps that will help with pricing a bit ...

29. The LaQuinta is nothin' special, but it's cheap and a cheap cab ride to downtown or the Great Lost Bear.

Fujii13 likes this.
  30. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Stayed here when I went up to Portland for Zwanze Day and visiting a few breweries up there. It'll do the trick.

31. I've copied what I think is the statute below. I'm not a lawyer, and therefore there could be exceptions I'm not familiar with, but I think the ticketing approach is meant to address 1.A (3), which prohibits "an unlimited number of drinks for a fixed price." (FYI, the "taste testing" exceptions under 2 apply (as this non-lawyer reads them) to stores and retailers testing products with distributors and breweries offering tours.
    Title 28-A
    §709. Prohibition of certain practices
    1. Certain practices prohibited. The following practices are prohibited.
    A. No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee may:
    (1) Offer or deliver any free liquor to any person or group of persons;
    (2) Deliver more than 2 drinks containing spirits, a carafe containing more than one liter or 33.8 ounces of wine, or any serving or pitcher containing more than one liter or 33.8 ounces of malt liquor, to one person at one time;
    (3) Sell, offer to sell or deliver to any person or group of persons an unlimited number of drinks for a fixed price, except at private functions not open to the public;
    (4) Encourage or permit, on the licensed premises, any game or contest that involves drinking or the awarding of drinks as prizes; or
    (5) Any other practice the specific purpose of which is to encourage customers of the licensee to drink to excess; and [1999, c. 275, §1 (AMD).]
    B. No licensee may advertise or promote in any way, whether within or without the licensed premises, any of the practices prohibited under paragraph A. [1987, c. 45, Pt. A, §4 (NEW).]
    [ 1999, c. 275, §1 (AMD) .]
    2. Exceptions. Subsection 1 does not prohibit the following practices:
    A. Licensees offering free food or entertainment either with or without the purchase of one drink; [1987, c. 45, Pt. A, §4 (NEW).]
    B. Licensees increasing the prices for drinks when entertainment is provided; [1987, c. 45, Pt. A, §4 (NEW).]
    C. Licensees including a drink as part of a meal package; [1987, c. 45, Pt. A, §4 (NEW).]
    D. The sale or delivery of wine, malt liquor or mixed drinks by the bottle, carafe or pitcher when sold with meals or to more than one person; [1987, c. 342, §45 (AMD).]
    E. Those licensed under sections 1052-B or 1052-C offering free samples or tastings; [2011, c. 629, §12 (AMD).]
    F. Those licensed as bona fide hotels offering room services to registered guests; [1987, c. 45, Pt. A, §4 (NEW).]
    G. Licensees offering reduced prices for prearranged private parties on the premises of the licensee; [2005, c. 319, §1 (AMD).]
    H. Licensees whose licensed premises include more than one room charging different prices for the same drink served in the different rooms; [2011, c. 629, §13 (AMD).]
    I. Conducting taste testing under section 460, 1051, 1205, 1207 or 1355-A; [2011, c. 629, §14 (RPR).]
    J. Providing samples authorized under section 1355-A, 1402, 1402-A or 1504; or [2011, c. 629, §15 (NEW).]
    K. Donations authorized under section 708-B. [2011, c. 629, §15 (NEW).]
    [ 2011, c. 629, §§12-15 (AMD) .]
    SECTION HISTORY
    1987, c. 45, §A4 (NEW). 1987, c. 342, §45 (AMD). 1993, c. 266, §16 (AMD). 1997, c. 501, §2 (AMD). 1999, c. 275, §1 (AMD). 2005, c. 319, §§1,2 (AMD). 2011, c. 259, §1 (AMD). 2011, c. 629, §§12-15 (AMD).

32. beerinmaine

There was an article in today's paper talking about counting Portland's homeless. It helpfully identifies where all the shantytowns are - stay for free under bridges and in abandoned tunnels!

(been around Portland for 15 years, never knew we had an abandoned tunnel...)

Jnorton00 likes this.
  33. benbking

I'm sort of hoping to get a Saturday day session ticket and catch that 6:50pm downeaster back to Boston.

34. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Savant (450) Maine Mar 26, 2008

Fujii13 likes this.
  35. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

I would love to get that print and frame it.

36. dennho

dennho Savant (345) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

I did that with last years.

37. benbking

Looks good! I got a print from Keith Shore last year, not of the logo though.

38. I have tent sites available in my back yard. No shower.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  39. indyjb

indyjb Aficionado (110) New York Apr 30, 2009

http://www.the-festival.us/388/

All of the details are in the link.

In accordance with Maine laws, there will be a maximum of 24 2 oz. pours per session (1 every 6 minute).

$65 per session or $150 for all 3.

Tickets on sale Monday, March 11.

I have my hotel reserved and I'm definitely excited. The 24 pour limit is a small bummer, but with the brewers represented, I'm certainly not complaining. That's about how many pours I had last year and it was quite a reasonable number.

What I'm really interested to hear is about any potential tap takeovers or other cool events at local bars during the festival.

Auror likes this.
  40. Designated driver passes! That could be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.