1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The frustration of picnic taps

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Apr 4, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I know that we've got several guys on the forum who are getting married soon and this thread was inspired by them.

I know how to work a picnic tap. It took me 1 pour to realize that I screwed up. The second pour was fine.

I've made beer for weddings and the guests don't seem to get it. I have roommates who have been shown at least twice, and yet they still mess it up about once a week. Snap it on, snap it off, or you get foam.

Is the best way to deal with crowds to have a designated person on those taps to make sure the guests aren't just drinking foam? Can you get away with pouring a dozen beers at a time and walking away for a while?
  2. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

One person with pitchers to walk around filling glasses
  3. I've done wedding beers a few times in the past couple of years, and I always put a sign on top of the keg (printed out, in a little plastic sleeve) that has the beer name, a picture of some sort, a brief description akin to a beer label, and a big, bold, "For the best pour, fully open the tap." Don't read my sign? Enjoy your fuckin foam, chucklehead.
    RichFellows, jlpred55 and barfdiggs like this.
  4. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

This is what I do.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Your fiancee found a keeper. :D
  6. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I wish I had that problem. I'm stuck with my trusty red capper and ~250 empties waiting to be filled for my wedding. May is arriving too fast.
    RichFellows likes this.
  7. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Bottles are more work on the front end and less work on the back end, which is probably good for a wedding. That is unless you have an infection issue.
  8. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I think most states make you get tested for infections before the wedding.
  9. I have a friend getting married later this year here in pa. Are there any regulations regarding serving homebrew at a wedding? I know the owner of the reception hall doesn't allow outside beverages as all kegs must be bought thru him, but I wonder if I could pay the owner a fee to allow me to bring a keg or two or three of my own??

Sorry for derailing the thread. :-/
  10. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

The last wedding I was at in PA, the reception hall had to buy the craft keg my friend wanted to serve. He did all the leg work in locating and purchasing it, and the hall "bought" it from the distributor for like $10. I don't know any of the legalities behind it, just that it was a little silly to me.

My wedding is also in PA, and our reception hall has no issue with me bringing homebrew (still doing an open bar). Either they have any/all required permits to allow me to do this, don't know they need a permit, or just don't care. I don't plan on asking any questions.
  11. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

I hate my picnic tap, I get foam no matter what fully open or not. Hell, I cn't really get a good pour out of my nice tap, either. I'm pretty lousy at it, my husband is good at getting beer out efficiently, I think I need help, though.

But for point #2, if they're not allowing homebrew, find another location, seriously. some things are THAT important.

we had homebrew at our wedding (coming up on our 10 yr anniversary) and it was in bottles. bottles worked just fine.
  12. I guess ill just have to ask the owner and offer him a generous tip if he lets me bring a keg or two of my beer.
  13. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Our wedding venue wouldn't allow outside beverages, so instead of serving homebrew, we gave each guest a bottle of homebrew at their place setting to take home (Nicely labeled, custom caps, etc.).

Of course it didn't hurt that the venue let us pick commercial beers to serve (They had a great selection), so we ended up serving Triple Karmaliet, Speedway Stout, Prima Pils and Dogfish head 90 minute!
    psnydez86 likes this.
  14. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

We actually turned down a few nice venues because they wouldn't allow us to serve our homemade beer and wine.
  15. The issue in most states are the venues that have a bar/liquor license. I don't know about PA but in CT you can't bring in outside liquor to a place with a liquor permit. All alcohol being distributed (free or for sale) needs to be done by the licensed permittee. You're probably better off renting out a place that has no bar and doesn't care what you bring in. If you are renting something that is just a venue and not a bar you're better off I'd think. The venue doesn't have to worry about their license and they have nothing to worry about.