1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Greatness Of Guinness?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Good point, I just think it's a terrible style. I'm sure other people like the style, it's just not for me.
    pjeagles and luwak like this.
  2. This exactly. I was talking to my older brother (who I rarely see) about beer and it turns out he's drinking a lot of Guinness these days. Good for him, he used to put down 30 packs of Busch Light, and that shit's wretched. He's tried WWS at a bar, I encouraged him to ask if they had any BCBS at his local place.

I've had a few Guinness drafts in the last year, they were OK. I'm getting a gut and have to cut some calories in the early part of next year - I'm going for basically no weekday beers in January, and if I start seeing results I may grab some canned G in Feb. to have as a weekday treat. It'll beat the hell out of fizzy yellow light lagers, and the price is right.
  3. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Guinness is a solid beer. I feel similarly about Murphy's. They're widely available and sessionable dry stouts. Guinness can be found on tap in many places. There's nothing wrong with enjoying this beer and I have certainly enjoyed it many times.
    jrbchef and chuckstout like this.
  4. Once you've had double IPAs you can never go back to Fuller's London Pride. Oh wait, were were discussing Guinness. I meant, once you have imperial stouts, you can never enjoy a dry Irish stout such as Guinness, it's far too bland.

Guinness is fine to me, I preferred Beamish when it was here in the US, and I love Gritty's Blackfly Stout here in MA.
  5. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (275) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I liked it before I was say a beer snob lol. Don't get me wrong it's definitely better than 98% of big market buy it everywhere and anywhere brews, but it's not as good as real deal master craft brewers versions. The fact is the Irish dry stout is an awesome style IMO and great examples of it are Great Lakes Wolfhound stout which you'll have to go to their pub to get and FFF Black Sun which the past few years has been their December release but has recently been replaced by Rye'd da Tiger. However black sun will still be released a few times of year on tap at different places and in bottles. More like calumet queen and lord admiral Nelson type stuff. Back on Guinness though.. I know they claim they have the original style of dry stout, but for some reason I dont think any beer was intended to be pasteurized. And I know craft guru brewers of yesterday and today will tell you the same. The fact is beer has been made in a craft manner a lot longer than just our movement in the US recently. This process may give a pretty cloud effect but it also delutes the flavor. Guinness isn't bad but there are better
  6. Its a matter of perspective. Guinness is a more sessionable brew that has its place. Of course, to the average beer snob/geek, many who reside on BA or the "other site" its not good enough in relation to a big RIS or some other micro made in the USA craft world. I certainly don't go out of my way to drink it often, and think the whole "its better in the UK/Ireland" (Drank plenty in my trips over the pond) is pretty much an urban legend.

Where you try to put Guinness up against totally different styles, you are not playing fair. Like the OP comparing it to Sam Smith's Oatmeal, not the same beer. They are completely different actually...

Again, I might not always order a Sam Adams Lager or a Guinness after drinking more distinct and complex craft, both import and domestic, for the better part of 20 years. However, its still a fine beer, it has it place, and I think threads like this are not playing fair calling into question the quality of the product, no disrespect intended.

I might love the bone-in Ribeye at a high end steakhouse every day, but sometimes, I might have to go with the Burger from the diner down the street, its still pretty tasty, and serves its purpose.
  7. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I remember having it in college and it being so good and almost crazy that people would drink beer that dark. Now I drink it and it has no flavor at all. Tastes like thick nothing.
  8. timwmccann

timwmccann Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012

It's still one of my favorites, but I drink it mostly by default when at the local bars. Many of the bars in my city don't carry much more than the regular domestics. And sometimes I'm not up for trying anything new; just hanging out and having some beers I "know" and Guinness is a good fallback. Bought a 12-pack of mixed beers today but no Guinness. I'm sure I'll have a few New Year's Eve when there's really no time to ponder my next order when I finally work my way to the bartender.
  9. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Always hated it. Before i drank good beer i thought it was ashy and tasted like old dirty metal.
    After i had many stouts i now think it is thin, weak, over carbonated, and tastes like ashy old dirty metal.

i'd say I've had ten -twelve of these in my life. That's plenty for me.

I seriously wouldn't consider drinking another Guinness unless maybe in Ireland to see if there really is a difference...but as i generally dislike the style (Irish Stout/Dry Stout) i mostly don't even care and having a Guinness isn't even on my (long) list of things to do when i go to my ancestral homeland.

I suppose it might be interesting to go to the brewery to see if they make any other beers worth sampling.

Further, however, since i now know that i don't like the style, i feel that my opinion is of less value than those who do and who may have had many many dry stouts. So i defer to them as to whether it is a "good" beer.
    I just know that i don't like it based on my (limited) experiences with it in the U.S.
  10. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

I agree. I've always thought Guinness tasted like water here in the US. The Foriegn Extra is a bit of alright, but anything else here in the states is swill. Take a Sam Smith's anyday!
  11. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

I was born in Dublin and grew up in Ireland and spent my first 23 years there before moving to the USA. I go back to visit family pretty regularly.

The whole "Guinness is better in Ireland" meme has some merit, but most of it is not based on the beer itself. The beer culture is completely different there, and pubs can be much more fun. The environment has a convincing and noticeable effect on people who drink there as they enjoy the jokes, laughs and stories while drinking a few pints. Guinness becomes better in memory because of its association with fun times and (for those from the USA) vacations.

On the flip side, a shitty environment can make great beers crappy. I was "only" 2 hours early to Zwanze day in Lord Hobo and therefore couldn't get a seat or a table. I was hungry and tired and had to stand for ages before tasting the rhubarb lambic, and by that time I was pretty miserable. It didn't taste great to me at all, and I know if I had tried it during say my wonderful visit to Brussels this year I would have devoured it with a smile.
  12. Dude, this +1,000....The beer is the same people! Its the experience that makes it "better" Not some secret ingredients only served by Leprechauns hidden somewhere in County Kildare...So dumb. Different? Child please...

EDIT: I have been to Lord Hobo for an event before and places like it when its a *&^tshow, I totally know what you are saying...Experience can definitely impact the taste both ways!
    luwak likes this.
  13. For a beer that is available across the globe it's pretty decent and often the best option if the pub you are in only offers the usual lagers on tap. I wouldn't buy the cans but the FES is good in the bottle. Comparing the tap version to Imperial stouts is nonsensical imo.
    luwak likes this.
  14. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

I love Irish Dry Stouts and I still think Guinness is decent. As many others said, Murphy's is better, especially canned. I like RIS, but I don't need something that heavy every day.
  15. luwak

This a profound truth about all eating/drinking (and indeed most sensory) experiences that should not be underestimated i think....

It is a big part of the reason i didn't used to ever write reviews unless i had had a beer at least 4 times

Your post is the best of the thread.
    brikelly and garbercury like this.
  16. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

With that attitude you might end up eliminately a lot of beer from your rotation. I mean after drinking weizenbock a hefeweizen is wimpy right? After drinking a doppelbock a bock is wimpy right? After drinking DIPA then bitters, esb, pale ale is wimpy right? I could go on.;]
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  17. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I very much enjoy Guinness if I am not looking for a huge ABV stout.
  18. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

You've just got to go to the Guinness Extra Stout.
  19. StefanosG

StefanosG Aficionado (135) Florida Dec 27, 2012

Guinness remains my favorite to this day. A unique stout I enjoy frequently.

Come to the Darkside

[​IMG]
    tcanaday likes this.
  20. luwak

Yeah i agree that this might/does happen.

i think its good.

Life is too short to drink boring beer.

Plus we all know we'll never get to try them all or even close to all of them...so why waste time drinking stuff you've already had if it wasn't awesome.
    Yes in my book "sessionable" means you're drinkin too much.... ; )
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  21. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (275) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

It's really not a bad style at all. IMO Yea Guinness is the big name Irish dry stout and is most popular given the fact that it's a marketed brew and given its in every single store and on every ones tap that's not say a specific craft bar. I've been fortunate to have the GLBC wolfhound stout which is a perfect and fabulous brew to rep the style and black sun as well. Guinness to me isn't the perfect example of a dry stout IMO. It's just a pasteurized dark mass advertised stout that's famous for the storm cloud effect and not it's flavor
  22. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

I still like my Guinness with .5 of Jameson and .5 of Baileys!
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  23. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

A lot of guys will tell you 7% abv IPAs are sessionable. You in that crowd?
  24. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Guinness is what initially got me into craft, I still like to have it every one in a while since it really is a nice session beer. But I could understand how you feel differently if you tried it after having obsidian stout or old Rasputin.

It's my, I'm drinking light tonight beer. To bad my bud light friends still think I'm drinking weird beer when I have it.
  25. Okay, I'll give it a try.
    Winston_Smith likes this.
  26. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is exactly right. Experiencing pub culture across the pond is exceptional, that is what people remember. Not the watered down, bland nitro Guinness that is the same everywhere.
  27. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Foreign Extra Stout is good. Otherwise...pass.
  28. If its on tap with a bunch of BMC...well, I guess, then I'll have a whiskey.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  29. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

If you can get your hands on them, pick up 3 Floyds Black Sun and Dragoons from Moylan's. Likely more accessible and, in my mind at least, a bit underrated, would be Saranac (just called Irish stout).
  30. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I didn't mention FES because it's in a different category, though similar. Some people don't like the dryness of the style, which means they won't like any that are properly brewed; then it's a regular stout (which, of course, there's nothing wrong with).
  31. Yes! See, I knew someone would get it! In all seriousness though, I think perhaps you are taking my interpretation of the word "wimpy" out of context. "Wimpy" does not imply weakness, I simply mean that stouts are *generally* more "session worthy" than Imperials. Imperials *generally* are more aggressive, and though that's not always a bad thing, they aren't for everyone. Me, I prefer them. That being said, I have been turned down by women multiple times for guys who where "less macho" than me ;).
  32. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

This statement epitomizes BAs obsession with RIS. It's like if its not an Imperial _____, than it is inferior.

A Guiness, or any given dry stout, or other stouts of moderate strength are great for those looking to have something less than 350 calories or something that won't leave you staggering.

Sometimes a subtle, flavorful beer is enough. Does it always have to be about massive beers?
    jhhollier, dcook11 and timwmccann like this.
  33. Porkhustle

Again
    Another shining example....
    timwmccann likes this.
  34. I do not mind the occasional Guinness at the bar if I want beer and there arn't a lot of other choices, its drinkable and tasty.

I would never buy it for the house because if I wanted that style there are better offerings, like this:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/347/3338
  35. Can I just say the first time I tasted guinness about 5-6 years ago it was terrible - I tasted the first mouthful and was about to vomit. On St Patrick's Day and I'm half Irish...how does that work???

Now maybe my tastebuds changed with getting into more complex ales but when I ordered my 2nd ever guinness in Dublin a year or so back I realised that this beer does deserve its distinct place in the world - something that I'm only too happy to keep celebrating to this day.
  36. luwak

I guess i just meant i don't want to drink beer simply becuase it is there. i don't have whatever is the best they've got when i go somewhere...if there's not a beer i want, i don't drink except on rare ocassions. And for me it seems people use "sessionable" interchnagbly with "i can drink several of them in a sitting" and/or "i can drink this because it doesn't have much flavor and i don't jave to pay attention to it will do so when it is available" and those ideas just don't much appeal to me, personally. Its fine if that's your thing, but for me, if I'm going to drink a beer i want it to be a mini event, an experience im going to pay attention to. Not just something to do with my hands and mouth while i do something else. I have afinite amount of time on earth and i don't wish to waste any of it drinking a beer i didn't notice/won't remember.
  37. Jimbo17

Jimbo17 Initiate (20) Dec 28, 2012

Guinness can't stand up to all of the fantastic domestic stouts now being brewed. You can't swing a stick in a good beer bar without hitting a stout better than Guinness.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  38. Porkhustle

Get a grip man, you are not living a novel
    jlordi12 and tai4ji2x like this.
  39. luwak

If you're not trying to, then you are wasting your life.
    Barrelsnbeer and garbercury like this.
  40. I thoroughly enjoyed and remember the beers I drank at the last NERAX event I attended. Session beers are beers that are low abv, so you can drink multiple in one sitting without getting drunk. In addition to that, they still retain the flavor of a higher abv beer. I think you're confusing light adjunct lagers with more complex session beers.