1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Greatness Of Guinness?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 27, 2012.

1. niggardly is older and etymologically unrelated to the racial slur, but that doesn't mean that today i go around using the word when "miserly" or "begrudgingly" would work just fine.
  2. It tasted what it smelled like; running creek water.
  3. Guiness is a St. Patty's day tradition with me. I might have an occassional can or bottle during the year but on 3/17 I hit a local pub that has it on tap. I, like a lot of others who have posted to this thread like the Russian Imperal Stouts. Give me some Great Divides, Yeti, o'yeah.
  4. AleYes

AleYes Aficionado (155) Virginia Mar 22, 2007

Actuallly, I said the same thing earlier, and was also at St. James's, too. You and I, both, have the "bragging rights". :) And I agree with you, entirely.
    Tut and bradcochran1234 like this.
  5. AleYes

AleYes Aficionado (155) Virginia Mar 22, 2007

6. SLAINTE!
  7. Jesskidden already pointed out they're not causally linked, but maybe if you had read wikipedia a little more carefully, you'd have noticed the name is still considered offensive in Ireland regardless of its origin:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/19/ireland
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2012/mar/18/nike-foot-black-tan-trainers
  8. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

I've been making that point here for ages, but there's always some fools who buy the myth and convince themselves it really is better in Ireland. It's amusing to see the reasons they come up with to explain it.

The myth won't die.
    bradcochran1234 likes this.
  9. Oh, yeah, I agree - if people find it objectionable, even if it's a based on a historic fallacy, I say don't use it - especially given that in the US it was commonly used for an Irish beer mixed with a UK beer. "KKK" was a designation for some UK ales, but I doubt they'd be marketed as such today if they were to be revived.

In the US, if a beer is marketed as "Half and Half" it has to, by law, be a 50-50 mix of two different beers. I always assumed that's why some of the Black and Tans marketed in the US in the '90's (of which I guess Yuengling and Misssissippi Mud are the only ones left?) used that term, when "Half and Half" had once been much more common in the US in the pre-Pro era, and again in 1930-50's. Yuengling's B&T, at least, was 60-40, IIRC.

[​IMG]
  10. Maybe it's better if the myth lives on. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people travel to Ireland and are sitting at some really awesome pubs and are just out of there element so their senses are heightened.
    If I was sitting at the edges of the Cliffs of Moher drinking a Rogue Voodoo calabo I would probably enjoy it.
    Tut likes this.