1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Guinness drinker

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by flyingtoaster, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingtoaster

flyingtoaster Member

Have you ever met someone who drinks Guinness exclusively? They belong in the same insane asylum as people who buy nothing but Apple products.

The other day, after the gym, I was looking for a place to sit down and have a beer before my girl got off work. I went to Boston's Pizza because it was nearby and they have some okay beers on tap. The bar was pretty empty except for an older couple watching the game, and I took a spot near the end and ordered a Lagunitas IPA. A guy sat down next to me, older, heavyset, wearing a baseball cap with a shamrock on it. And he looked like a talker. I heard him grunt in distress over something. Then I felt his face looking at me. He said, "Can you believe that?" pointing at a small Guinness poster advertising a Black and Tan. I told him, "Yeah, I don't like to mix my beers either. I can't believe a brewery would encourage it." I thought, hey, theres nobody else here to talk to and this guy probably knows a thing or two about good beer. I never find people I can talk about beer with. Then he ordered 5 Guinness stouts. Holy crap, he's buying a round for everyone. Or so I thought. Then he told me "That way, if happy hour is almost over, your drinks are already in the system." Nevermind that happy hour was over at 7 and it was only 5:30. This guy only had an hour and a half to get his drinks in. I asked him, "So you must really like Guinness, huh?" That was my first mistake. He went on a long tangent about how what you could drink is determined by your ethnic decent, and since he was part Irish, he was naturally able to drink Guinness. I was bored, so I decided to push all his buttons. I told him American Guinness tasted like water. He explained that was because of how it was poured when I had it, and it tastes completely different when the bartender does the "perfect pour." Then he called over the bartender and told her that his Guinness did not taste right because she did not pour it correctly. They went back and forth, and ultimately, he did not get a free drink out of it. Then he told me that my beer was actually watered down compared to his Guinness. I said, "Laguintas is pretty watered down for an IPA. It pretty much has the minimum legal amount of hops and alcohol to be considered an IPA. Still, it is an IPA and it is a more substantial beer than Guinness in spite of being lighter in color. Yours, however, is not a stout. The only Guinness Stout I have ever had was Foreign Extra and it was good. Then he explained how nitro tap is superior and how in Ireland, that is how they serve Guinness, and that if you need a stronger or hoppier beer, your taste buds are just craving more of a certain thing and cannot appreciate a refined beverage. I took my check and bid adieu. His next Guinness was not a perfect pour either.
    Jake1605 and darky like this.
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Member

you might be putting too much mental effort into who drinks what. it's just beer.
    that's just my opinion anyway.
    Cheers.
  3. Nectar

Nectar Member

Not sure what it is about some people and thier Guinness, but its crazy.I watched a ~80 year old man go absolutely apeshit over the way his guinness was poured in a dive bar more than once.

Not a big craft community here though, so hard to say if someone would do the same for an IPA...
    Zimbo likes this.
  4. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Member

Alrighty then...

P.S. If you didn't read this in an Ace Ventura voice, I feel sorry for you.
  5. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

Guinness is the Bose of beer.
    ant880, ufmj, audioserf and 3 others like this.
  6. flyingtoaster

flyingtoaster Member

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I needed to explain this insanity to people who would understand.
  7. darky

darky Member

I fail to see the distinction between someone who drinks Guinness exclusively and someone who drinks Bud Light exclusively. Both have their mind made up that 'X' is the is THE beer and don't entertain the possibllity that any other brew will bring them greater satisfaction. I appreciate your post and enjoyed the story, however I've come to the conclusion that people of such a mindset will only change their opinion when they are ready.

P.S.- I am a total Apple fanboy and buy Apple products pretty much exclusively when it comes to personal computing products. Are 'Apple people' crazy? Yes, we are... but happily so.
  8. smitherz22

smitherz22 Member

I dig myself a Guinness every now and then for sure, especially when mixed with a Cele - but I gotta say the best Guinness I ever had was poured into a paper cup. It was phenomenal. ...I was also baked, though...just thought I should throw that in there...
    jcreegan likes this.
  9. pieman25

pieman25 Member

yeah, some people tend to make too much of a big deal of brands of beer - I went to a house party once celebrating an exclusive guinness drinker's birthday. I got him a craft-brewed coffee porter that I like, and thought he'd enjoy, and he ended up giving it to another guy. To each their own I suppose, beer is beer is beer, and I've been known to have, and sometimes even crave, a guinness every now and then.
  10. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

I've never thrown on a grammar police uniform before, but a couple of paragraphs would have really helped there.:confused:

I've had the Guiness draught drinkers make the snide comments about my weak IPAs before more than a few times. It hasn't happened lately since the taps have changed greatly in the past 2 or 3 years but I always say the same thing. If I wanted a low abv, low cal, tasteless hype brew I would choose Guiness Draught, fortunately i'm not on a diet and I drink for taste.
    steveh likes this.
  11. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

"I told him American Guinness tasted like water" "The only Guinness Stout I have ever had was Foreign Extra and it was good." Hmm so the only Guinness you have ever had was good... but tasted water? Or are you saying a beer that you have never had tastes like water?
    If the only Guinness Stout you have ever tried is the Foreign Extra than why do you think that "Guinness is not a stout"? Foreign extra is a pretty good stout and Guinness Draught is a classic Irish Dry Stout. If you haven't tried it then how do you know that Lagunitas IPA "is a more substantial beer" than it. In no way is Lagunitas IPA watered down either. "It pretty much has the minimum legal amount of hops and alcohol to be considered an IPA." This isn't true either, it's pretty much middle of the road in both. I think you spewed more false information during your guys' conversation then he did.
  12. willbm3

willbm3 Member

I don't see what the big deal is here. Just a guy who only wants to drink one thing. I'd rather be friends with people who only drink Guinness than those who only drink Bud Light, but I'm not drinking it so I don't care.

The only thing that kills me is the people that insist Guinness is SO heavy and SO filling. I understand arguing about taste and stuff, but how can you just objectively be wrong about something you're consuming? It's like claiming a side salad is more filling than a crock of mashed potatoes.
  13. Vitacca

Vitacca Member

I appreciate the perfect pour, however, I do not understand people that go crazy if it's poured incorrectly. It all tastes the same in the end.
  14. Relik

Relik Member

" minimum legal amount of hops" ??
    when was hop content of IPAs entered into the criminal code?
    BJCP lists IPA as 40-60/70 (english/american).
    If you are going to flex your beer knowledge and talk down to someone no matter how ignorant of their own facts, at least drop some factual knowledge.
  15. BILF

BILF Member

Part Irish. Ordering five beers at a time. And you decide to push his buttons. Lucky you did not cop a knuckling.
  16. paulys55

paulys55 Member

I used to drink Guinness almost exclusively...this was 15 years ago when most bars in the area had Guinness, Bass and a bunch of adjunct lagers on tap. But if someone wants to drink whatever, who am I to care. Live and let live.
  17. raynmoon

raynmoon Member

Just stop, stop right there.
  18. fx20736

fx20736 Member

thank you for that amusing story. I would have been quite tickled had I been in your situation.

Beer should make you happy. Crazy ignorant people are funny when you have a beer buzz.

good presentation, tho. Well written.

cheers!
  19. Jake1605

Jake1605 Member

I love dumb guy stories. Keep em' coming!
  20. jjchristiano

jjchristiano Member

An Irish guy in a bar in Boston, where there is a Guinness poster on the wall, and the happy hour special is Guinness Draught. You were surprised by his affection for Guinness?
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  21. ComRock12

ComRock12 Member

Guessing OP had this conversation in his head while only managing a brief glance and head nod at this supposed offender. That and the facts are probably at least 50% inflated. 2 beers at once, complained about the pour - probably end of story
    Frankinstiener and RBCORCORAN like this.
  22. That was a bad story and you should feel bad.

Oh my god there's an old Irish alcoholic talking about Guinness myths. That's a really interesting and surprising thing, which probably never happens.
  23. steveh

steveh Member

What do you suppose the other "part" was, and why couldn't he drink from that lineage as well?
  24. steveh

steveh Member

If you double-check, the OP is in California, and a quick search of Boston's Pizza reveals they don't even have locations in Massachusetts. Never assume.
  25. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

While we're telling stories, Guinness almost scared me off of "stouts" when I first got into drinking beer because I thought it was the quintessential representative of the style, and if that were the case, stouts weren't for me.
  26. brikelly

brikelly Member

Sissification, Guinnessication, it's all the same at this point.
    5thOhio likes this.
  27. steveh

steveh Member

Which Guinness? As has been reported by many in the past (almost ad nauseam to blinder-wearing BAs who don't want to learn it), Guinness is available in many different forms of stout.
  28. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  29. Ericness

Ericness Member

Sadly Boston isn't allowed to do Happy Hours....or drink specials of any kind. It's what the locals refer to as "one of those stupid Massachusetts things."

I like a good Guinness every now and then myself, and was even a semi-regular drinker of the beer myself in my later college days. It's now my fall back option if I'm out and the beer and scotch menus don't have anything I want more. In the spirit of this post though, I went to a Dropkick Murphys show last St. Paddy's day in Boston and felt obligated to drink solely Guinness over the Harpoon offerings.
  30. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Member

He should have slapped you in your goddamned face.
  31. steveh

steveh Member

I don't think there's a "regular" kind listed at the Guinness web site (or BA). That would be the draught. Probably more specifically, the nitro draught. But thanks for confirming that there are definitely a few to choose from without just saying "I don't like Guinness."
  32. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

So is Guinness Draught not the most commonly available version in American bars? (honestly asking) because where I am it is, which is why I called it "regular".
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  33. flyingtoaster

flyingtoaster Member

I have had both Guinness Draught and Foreign Extra. I was saying that Laguinitas still qualifies as an IPA, but I would not consider Guinness Draught to be a Stout. I can see why some people would, so I'm not going to get into an argument about it.
  34. flyingtoaster

flyingtoaster Member

Actually, there was more to it. I decided to forget some of the more ignorant comments.
  35. flyingtoaster

flyingtoaster Member

Perhaps you can explain this scale and maybe how Scoville units work too. Or maybe IBUs are a qualitative guesstimate of how bitter a beer is, usually from the brewer. Off topic, but Lagunitas IPA tastes more like every Pale Ale I have ever had than a few of the IPA style examples that I drink regularly. Whether you agree, I don't care.
  36. ktblue22

ktblue22 Member

I read everything in an Ace Ventura voice...
    HipsterBrewfus and dwagner003 like this.
  37. stabbingcontest

stabbingcontest Member

Guinness isn't a stout?? thats just plain ignorant. why not?

Why do you care so much about what some other guy you don't even know is drinking?
    kingofhop and steveh like this.
  38. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Member

you're lucky you didn't catch a brogue kick to the domepiece
  39. ktblue22

ktblue22 Member

Also how funny is it that in Boston they have California Pizza Kitchen but in California they have Boston's Pizza???
    Horbar and nickfl like this.
  40. steveh

steveh Member

Now we're singling out bars only? I have bars near me that carry all 3 (now), and just about every store I go into will have at least 2 of the 3, if not all 3.

How about the fact that Guinness Extra was the only Guinness available in the U.S. for a very long time?

To my original point, you can't single out the Draught as Guinness. Guinness has a larger portfolio than that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.