1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Hop Pickle ... coming soon to a store near you!

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Centennial, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

a) want the pickle.

b) video makes me pretty jealous both of sam and of pickleman. i want to make 40 tester batches of various hops, DFH beers, and pickles.
    Centennial likes this.
  2. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I want what they are smoking It must be better than my homegrown....:D
    mad scientist or genius or crazy or all three?
  3. I got those in a few days ago at my store. .. But they're very tasty
  4. I'm a huge fan of brooklyn brine (super expensive though). They also do a Whiskey Sour Pickle using rye whiskey from a local distillery (finger lakes distillery) that is delicious.
  5. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

My buddy bought a jar yesterday at the brewery. Haven't heard on how they taste yet.
  6. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Sounds good =)
  7. i want to try these bad...how much are people paying for that 16oz jar?
  8. dhartogs

dhartogs Savant (350) Virginia Apr 29, 2010

I got them through Washington's Green grocer added to my veggie delivery, $7 finished them fast and refilled the jar with my own cucumbers, turned out pretty good, they get a little spicy the longer they sit, definitely worth getting.
    fjl77 likes this.
  9. Didn't like them. They go for $8 a jar at the Dogfish Brewpub and/or Brewery.
  10. Jose2412 likes this.
  11. To be honest, I bought a jar of the hop pickles last weekend at the DFH tasting room... they were alright. A good start. Nice and spicy, nice and sour, nice and bitter. Two tablespoons of honey later, NOW we're talking. This is a mindblowing jar of pickles if you add a bit of sweetness to balance it out.
  12. So where can somebody buy these online? I've looked everywhere.
  13. I need these.
  14. I love Brooklyn Brine, I'll have to try to get my hand on these. It's funny because I was actually JUST talking about homebrewing a Pickled IPA with some of the juice from Brooklyn Brine pickles.
  15. I was visiting Tampa last month, at the CCB tasting room at like 10:30AM (don't judge), when a local chef brought in pickles and pretzels he had made using Jai Alai. Really awesome stuff.
  16. Bought it from a whole foods. Gf loves pickles and ipas so thought it would go over well. Hated it. Said it had too much vinegar flavor.
  17. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (290) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone know of anywhere in Chicago that sells these? Based on what I've read here, I enjoy pickles, beer, onions, spice, and tart vinegar. Thus, this seems like something I'm going to have to try. Also, has anyone made their own pickles with beer in tbe brine? If so, how did this turn out?
  18. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (700) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

The wife and I made 3x kinds of pickles this year.... Kosher Dill, Bread and Butter, and French Cornichons...

I would happily trade away some of our homemade pickles if somebody had access to these.

BTW... The Cornichons..... I made myself. http://leapphotography.blogspot.com/2012/07/pickles-so-easyeven-your-husband-can.html

I could also include some homemade spicy mustard and a jar of Sour Cherry jam or wild blackberry jam. The sour cherries were picked from my local beer guy's back yard and it is awesome... http://leapphotography.blogspot.com/2012/07/cherry-jam-boise-photographer-food-lover.html The blackberries were "urban foraged" from the fine folks at Boise Parks and Rec.
  19. Are these available on the west coast?
  20. Not sure, they are available at whole foods here, so maybe you can ask your local store to order some. I have had them many times and they are delicious. They are pretty pricey at 9.99 a jar, but you can get a few uses out of the brine by adding more cucumbers or mild Dill pickles. If you can not find them and really want to try I would be willing to work out something and ship you a jar..
  21. .
    Thanks for the info!