1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The Hunt for Bigfoot is on!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Henamonster, May 24, 2012.

1. In anticipation of what I'm calling a "Bigfoot Sighting" tasting, I'm trying to locate some Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Yeti-themed beers. Any suggestions as to what's good, great or not worth the time? I'm seeing a lot of "retired" ones out there, but hopefully I'll be able to track some down.

I just started the hunt, but so far I have the following:

Great Divide's Yeti line (the gold standard, in my opinion.)
    Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine
    Six Rivers's Bluff Creek Pale Ale

2. BA Abominable by Fremont

bifrost17 likes this.
  3. Stoudts Old Abominable Ale. Perfect for you.

Edit: Darn, you are in CA, you can't get Stoudts out there.

4. But if they're worthy, I might have to make an "expedition" to track them down (meaning, bribe someone to send 'em over. Ha!)

5. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

I don't know if Chupacabras makes the cut, I'm almost sure you can easily get it in CA

6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Duff27 likes this.
  7. Chupacabra and Loch Ness... I may have to make it a "Cryptid tasting". Thanks for the suggestions!

8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

That actually sounds kind of gross.

SageO and pschul4 like this.
  9. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

10. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Henamonster likes this.
  11. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Mmmmm.... Cryptozoology themed tasting. Maybe you could add ghosts too? They both have shows on the history channel so it's cool.

12. Too bad you dont get Great Lakes. Their Lake Erie Monster fits the bill. fantastic DIPA!

LostTraveler and ninner00 like this.
  13. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

swamp ape is a terrible beer you could toss in, lol.

thagr81us, El_Zilcho and Henamonster like this.
  14. "Swamp Ape" would definitely fit the theme. Can't say as I've had it yet, but based on your glowing review... Ha!

Ballast Point's "Sea Monster" would also be a good entry for the Cryptid Tasting (and an excellent Imperial Stout as well!)

LostTraveler likes this.
  15. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

16. dcook11

dcook11 Savant (315) California May 13, 2010

Fun thread, I like it! Need to get me some of these for a Halloween tasting in the fall! The hunt starts now.

Henamonster likes this.
  17. sobeleg

sobeleg Advocate (520) New York Jun 29, 2011

I feel Founders Backwoods Bastard would be suitable.

Henamonster likes this.
  18. Right in line with Backwoods Bastard, I found "Wooly Booger" (Grand Lake Brewing). I always associated the term with a sasquatch (kind of like skunk ape,) however, Urban Dictionary says... "A person who is one evolutionary step lower than a redneck." Still... it's now on the list.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4738/19817

19. That's exactly the timeframe I'm looking at as well. The tasting's going to coincide with a comic book release (about Bigfoot of all things!) I previously thought about getting a keg or two of Great Divide, but then thought it was more fun to make it a real hunt.

20. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

speaks for itself! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/161/61613

21. dcook11

dcook11 Savant (315) California May 13, 2010

That sounds awesome! Best of luck tracking some of these down my friend. If any more come to mind, I'll be sure to let ya know!

22. Man, a 67 and a 69... Reminds me of a "Good Morning, Vietnam" quote... "Hey, Hauk. Eat a bag of s***. You suck. That's pretty much to the point, sir, not much gray area in this one."

23. Doesn't FW Wookey Jack make the cut????

24. I don't know where the name comes from, but it certainly sounds like it would. It almost sounds Australian (kind of like Yowie.)

25. Coming from Grand Lake, Wooly Booger is a type of fly used for fly fishing.

Henamonster likes this.
  26. Ah, "Woolly" with two "Ls" is more of a southern sasquatch (Texas, Alabama, etc.) But... I think it's still on the list. Too cool of a name not to include.

pokesbeerdude likes this.
  27. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

28. @Exiled If I'm including the water monsters (Loch Ness, Champ Ale, etc.) then I could certainly add them to the list.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!

Here's the list so far... The browniish-orange I already have.

Bigfoot themed:
    Great Divide's Yeti line
    Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine
    Six Rivers's Bluff Creek Pale Ale
    Old Yale Sasquatch Stout
    Sand Creek Brewing's Lilja's Sasquatch Stout
    Old Abominable - Stoudt's
    Skunk Ape - Boneyard
    BA Abominable - Freemont
    Wooly Booger - Grand Lake Brewing
    Backwoods Bastard - Founders
    Swamp Ape - Florida Beer Company
    Wookey Jack - Firestone
    Sasquatch Wheat Wine - growler only - Ninkasi

cryptid themed:
    Loch Ness - Brasseurs, RJ
    Chupacabra
    Champ Ale- McNeill's
    Sea Monster - Ballast Point (oh, so tasty...)
    Lake Erie Monster - Great Lakes
    Boaks Monster Mash
    Hopnost Monster - Lilja's

29. Plus it reminds me of Chewbacca who is a "wookie" and kind of looks like a sasquatch.

30. How bout some DuClaw Colossus, 22% abv should do the trick. Avery Mephistopheles maybe? Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon possibly fits the bill. Troegs Flying Mouflan is by no means scary, but still maybe a mythical creature. But yeah, you should totally include Swamp Ape, that beer sucks but it perfectly fits the theme. Although from what I've heard the sasquatch in Florida is known as the skunk ape not the swamp ape, but close enough. Shit I still have a room temperature Swamp Ape from last year I need to figure out what to do with, that's gonna be fun to put down...

31. Definitely diggin the theme. Enjoy the tasting!

32. Il Vic makes a Scotch ale called "Sasquatch scotch". If it was on tap right now i would send you a growler of it...

Henamonster likes this.
  33. "I still have a room temperature Swamp Ape from last year..." Based on the reviews, it could only improve. And the phrase, "put down", may just be the most apt choice of words ever.

34. Henamonster likes this.
  35. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Well wookies are the race that Chubaca from Star Wars comes from so it makes sense. I hope I spelled Chubaca wrong cause I liked the movie but thas it!