1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The International Brewing Awards, what's it all about?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hoppsbabo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I just happened upon a medals list for the International Brewing Awards and became completely disillusioned when I saw who some of the winners were. Among a great many worthy victors was South Korean macro travesty HiteJinro Group, who won a gold for their Max beer. Anyone who's been to South Korea and suffered their lager will know my pain. Am I right in thinking that most of you beer perverts pay no attention to the "Brewing Oscars"?

http://www.brewingawards.org/home_1_1_home.html

2. Yer Yer, know lots. Alot of the judges are good mates of mine. Bill Taylor is the smiling gent in the front. Knows more about beer than most anyone I could meet. Works for a small brewery in Oz ... well maybe is the biggest brewery ...

This is a technical comp, and Hite may be crappy lager, but technically it would have been well made. Imagine the effort it takes to take so much flavour out of a beer ... just like Corona. I appreciate a comp that takes a buzzsaw to a brewers beer and looks for technical perfection.

So Korea won a medal, but what could you say about those Aussies who won nothing. Nothing. So the industry like me, is definitely looking at this ..

3. Okay, so it's all about technical prowess in beer brewing. That makes sense.

I have a feeling I'm going to hear the following mantra being bandied about in Korea from now on: "Hey, Foreigner. Do you know Korean lager is really di number one in di world!" Oh, bollocks!