1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The most bitter beer you've ever experienced...so far

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MaddMatt639, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

nothing big for me yet: just Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA

I've got a Moylan's Hopsickle in the fridge and am VERY much looking forward to it ...

2. SN Hopsichord (Audition) but soooo tasty

3. lol, that made my night

4. Im shoked that no one has mentioned Mikkeller 1000 IBU Light that shit destroys ur palate.

fmccormi likes this.
  5. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

You say that, but . . . I swear Mikkeller UltraMate 1000 IBUs was really gross stuff. Just all kinds of medicinal-type astringency, to the point that the mouthfeel was just chalky-dry. Unpleasant to drink.

Palate Wrecker, though . . . is beautiful.

6. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Ha! Just barely beat me to it, apparently. I think UltraMate is the same thing.

7. Stankonia

Stankonia Aficionado (195) Idaho Dec 17, 2010

It's been mentioned a couple times..maybe it would be mentioned more if it wasn't so damn expensive :confused:

8. Palate wrecker isn't bitter to me at all.

9. This.

10. 149 IBUs...What's bitter to you? Or did you have a mouth full of peanut butter while you were drinking it?

11. I have had it many times as well as almost all of the over the top DIPA's. I find the lower ABV high bitter beers lack the balance so come across too bitter to be a good beer. Palate Wrecker is a nice easy drinking beer for the style, I do love my hops and have for many years.

12. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Same here for me. I couldn't finish a bomber of AB when I first got into craft. I'm curious what my opinion would be now a few years later...

13. It still has some bitterness, but is so malty that it is balanced enough.

14. Green Flash west Coast IPA I guess. Found it more bitter than Palate Wrecker to be honest.

15. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I agree. It's a really good beer, but I don't think it's appropriately named. I personally judge bitterness by what my palate is telling me, not the IBU.

TongoRad and lucas1801 like this.
  16. Hoptimum. I love IIPAs and this one was tough for me to drink. Not sure if it was the batch or what. I tried it back in August so not sure if the batch I got was old or fresh. I had to force myself to drink the 3 remaining in the 4 pack after I was already pretty much loaded.

17. The regular ibu was mentioned, not the light version. I found the regular 1000 ibu to be rather malty but the light version is the one that is truly intense.

18. one more vote for Green Flash Palate Wrecker, it couldn't be more appropriately named

19. freeze some fresh Hop 15 draft, then enjoy the slushy mix as it defrosts. extremely bitter, strong and delicious. think ill try it with Ruination this weekend.

20. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

A few batches of Death by Hops for sure. Not all of them, but several of the earlier batches were just brutal.

21. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Palate Wrecker for me...beer was offensive to me.

22. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Maybe it was due to drinking it when I was first getting into craft, but Brewdog's Hardcore ipa (pre recipe change) still haunts me in my dreams.

23. Are you confusing tart with bitter? Festina Peche is not bitter at all.

My top 3 bitter beers are:

1. Mikkeller 1000 IBUs
    2. Founders Devil Dancer (fresh, must be fresh)
    3. Moylans Hopsickle

It was a few months old, but not overly so. I think they stopped brewing Hoptiimum in May. I love that beer.

24. montman

montman Savant (250) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

The appropriately named Palate Wrecker.

25. Lenny's RIPA
    Clown Shoes Supa Hero

26. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Palate Wreck for a "good bitter" and Hoptimum for a "not so good bitter". What can I say? my taste buds were conflicted....

27. enelson

enelson Savant (495) Illinois Dec 2, 2007

120 minute is up there, but it's been awhile. Wife thought she was doing me a favor when she bought two last night. Not for me.

28. Palate Wrecker, Hoptimum. Double bastard is pretty hoppy too.