1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

The "Must See"s of Fort Collins

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by orvalrugger45, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Calling on the BA's of the Fort Collins areas. Ill be spending some time at the end of July. Looking for any pointers on places with good draft selections, bottle selections, and as well good food to go with it. Im going to do the brewery stops (New Belgium, Fort Collins Brewery, Funkwerks, Equinox); but are there any gems some one would appreciate that are off the "tourist" route? I am from New England so Im open to any/all beer advice since it will be a totally different distribution area. Post away my fellow BA's

Cheers!

2. The wife and I visited last Summer and loved it. I'll add Funkwerks, Mayor of Oldtown and Choice City Butcher to your stops. I am not sure if Crooked Stave has their own place yet, but I would add that as well. Oskar Blues wasn't too far of a drive and we had a blast there as well. Have fun!

3. Oh, if you haven't done so already, make your tour reservations for New Belgium ASAP.

4. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Choice City and Odell would be my two "musts".
    Black Bottle is solid, Tap n Handle (right next to Choice City) can be good and the Mayor of Old Town, though I get less impressed by their taplist every time I go.

Cafe Vino usually has something decent on and has solid food. The Forge, Equinox and Funkwerks would be next on my list.

There's an assload of options.

5. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

6. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Looks like I need to visit again, Choice City & Odell were great. Ft Collins Brewery was meh & Coopersmith was fun.

buffs9 likes this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

One gem to consider is on you way up there - Grimm Brothers in Loveland. They're only a 5 minute detour off of I25 and their beers are as good as any in Ft. Collins.

8. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Big Beaver Brewing is in Loveland too...

well hey, I enjoyed it even it was sophomoric humor.

9. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

I cannot support this statement

PalatePilot and SalukiAlum like this.
  10. Kenzie

Kenzie Aficionado (230) Utah Feb 23, 2013

If you are driving from the denver area to Ft. Collins, Left hand brewing in Longmont is just a little bit out of the way.

11. 3Hops

3Hops Aficionado (225) Minnesota Jul 20, 2011

I am also driving to the Ft. Colins area in mid-July from MN. Looking forward to trying some of the recommendations above specifically left hand brewing and Odell. If you know of any spots with great porters, stouts or sours I would appreciate the info. I will also be looking to fill a few growlers. Can anyone confirm the Colorado law surrounding growler fills. In MN you must purchase a separate growler from each brewery? Thus I can't fill my Steel Toe growler at Town Hall Tap etc.

12. Domingo

Around here you shouldn't have an issue. Some of the tiny places that only do fills for VIP's or only in smaller growlers are the exception - but bigger places like LH and Odell will fill whatever you bring.

3Hops likes this.
  13. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

If you like stouts and porters, no place in Fort Collins puts out more consistently great ones than Equinox Brewing, IMO.

14. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (410) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

Odell is a must. Funkwerks is fun, but you have to like Saisons/ Sours. New Belgium is fun to see, but not too much on tap you cannot get elsewhere. Equinox and Coopersmiths are half a block apart as well.

15. Odell's seems to be a consensus. Im definitely going to hit up Funkwerks for some sour action. Is new belgium really that much of a hassle for tours? If so, is the tap room the better route to just chill and have a couple pints? Any recommendations for bottle shops as well to bring some stuff back to New England with me? and I know Im running a chance of getting crucified for asking on a beer site but most of us know this type of info as well; how hard is it to get Stranahan's?

16. The New Belgium tour is totally worth it. You just have to plan ahead, or get lucky with cancellations/no shows the day of. It's the best brewery tour around. I still go once or twice a year.

IMO, the best three shops in FoCo are Wilbur's Total Beverage, Supermarket Liquors, and 287 Liquors. You shouldn't have any problem finding Stranahans.

blindpiggie and denver10 like this.
  17. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

New Belgium was just impressive in the scope of the tour, was really impressed with all their green/general energy savings inovaitions (sic) incorporated into the brewery

18. Domingo

New Belgium's tour is one of the best anywhere in the world. The caveat is that you have to make reservations, so you can't just show up in most cases. It's well worth doing, though.
    For a little while their tasting room was pretty pedestrian (and a total madhouse because of their free samples), now I'd say it's the polar opposite. They have all of their normal drafts running, which for them is quite a few, and at least 4-5 Lips of Faith items. La Folie is a borderline permanent item and it's priced dirt cheap. They aren't quite like Odell where there are 12 one-off items at one time, but then again - there are fewer experimental duds, too.

19. denver10

Funkwerks is great, but they really aren't a 'sour' spot.....though they do have their summer seasonal being a berliner weisse. If you go there looking for sours, you'll likely be disappointed.

They are great for saisons though, IMO.

BrettHead likes this.
  20. denver10

Just picked up a growler of a new beer of theirs, an India Pale Kolsch. Very enjoyable take on the style, or is it styles? Has a bit of a soapy finish which is a bummer, but not enough of an issue to prevent me from digging it.

21. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (410) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

I agree 100% with the New Belgium Tour being one of the best I have been on. Whenever friends from the Midwest come to visit I try and take a tour. As long as you have a small party I would suggest e-mailing them and asking to be added to a tour. They can typically add 1-2 people per tour as quite often people do not show. This way you can at least guarantee yourself a spot if they can add you, just be flexible with your times.

22. 3Hops

3Hops Aficionado (225) Minnesota Jul 20, 2011

Thanks for all the info guys. We are heading to Colorado on Wednesday and lwere looking forward to trying some of your local brews. We also got scheduled at New Belgium for a tour and plan on hitting quite a few of your other local breweries.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  23. Hey everyone. Another quick question; any bottle shops have crooked stave in fort collins? Stumbled across them and they've definitely snagged my interest.

24. denver10

Yes; stop by Wilbur's. If a beer is available in FC, it's likely there.

orvalrugger45 likes this.
  25. Cheers Denver10. Thanks to Everyone else as well. Ill be flying out to CO later this week. Any other ideas, locations, comments; They are much appreciated so keep posting and ill throw good vibes out for all of you to the beer karma gods!